Realtek 8812BU will not connect to my 5GHz network

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the wifi adapter in question:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V4R3QHW

Under Win7, while it sees my 5GHz network name, it refuses to connect to it. It asks for security key, and after I provide it, some time later it throws the standard Windows message: "Windows was unable to connect to >."

It works with my 2.4 GHz network just fine.

I tried both the driver supplied with the adapter as well as latest drivers downloaded from Realtek's page.

My router is Netgear R7000 running Tomato. All my other 5GHz devices connect to it without any issues.

What else can I try?

Usually if it can see it, it can connect. Go into the router settings, and manually set a lower 5GHz channel instead of auto. I have an adapter that can't see see the upper 5GHz channels, but it does see the lower numbers. Nothing to lose trying it!

Originally Posted by BigD1
Go into the router settings, and manually set a lower 5GHz channel instead of auto. I have an adapter that can't see see the upper 5GHz channels, but it does see the lower numbers. Nothing to lose trying it!
Thanks. Tried it. No difference.

What channel is the router on?
make sure its in the range of.
36-48 or 149-165

What drivers are you running?

have you tried disabling security

also try
netsh wlan show drivers

and what does it say.

Originally Posted by Rand
What channel is the router on?
make sure its in the range of.
36-48 or 149-165

What drivers are you running?
Realtek 1030.25.701.2017.

have you tried disabling security
Not sure how that could affect only the 5GHz range and not the 2.4GHz range. Besides, on the same laptop, if I use a different wifi adapter, I can connect to the 5GHz network just fine. It's only this one wifi adapter that is having issues with it.

also try
netsh wlan show drivers

and what does it say.

Code
Interface name: Wireless Network Connection 11

Driver : Realtek 8812BU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC

Vendor : Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

Provider : Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

Date : 12/25/2017

Version : 1030.25.701.2017

INF file : C:\Windows\INF\oem146.inf

Files : 2 total

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\rtwlanu.sys

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\vwifibus.sys

Type : Native Wi-Fi Driver

Radio types supported : 802.11n 802.11g 802.11b 802.11n 802.11a

FIPS 140-2 mode supported : No

Hosted network supported : Yes

Authentication and cipher supported in infrastructure mode:

Open None

WPA2-Personal CCMP

Open WEP-40bit

Shared WEP-40bit

Open WEP-104bit

Shared WEP-104bit

Open WEP

Shared WEP

WPA-Enterprise TKIP

WPA-Personal TKIP

WPA2-Enterprise TKIP

WPA2-Personal TKIP

WPA-Enterprise CCMP

WPA-Personal CCMP

WPA2-Enterprise CCMP

Vendor defined TKIP

Vendor defined CCMP

Vendor defined Vendor defined

WPA2-Enterprise Vendor defined

WPA2-Enterprise Vendor defined

Authentication and cipher supported in ad-hoc mode:

Open None

Open WEP-40bit

Open WEP-104bit

Open WEP

WPA2-Personal CCMP

IHV service present : Yes

IHV adapter OUI : [00 e0 4c], type: [00]

IHV extensibility DLL path: C:\Windows\system32\Rtlihvs.dll

IHV UI extensibility ClSID: {6c2a8cca-b2a2-4d81-a3b2-4e15f445c312}

IHV diagnostics CLSID : {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

try it in another computer (this is a usb dongle?)

try it with a linux boot dvd/usb stick?

I once was told by a computer tech guy , that if you have a computer old enough to need a wi-fi adaptor you dont want that computer. Windows 7, with all its charms, is outdated and its getting harder to find compatible drivers.

Your link is to an 802.11ac adapter, but netsh only shows older 802.11n radios, despite the "802.11ac" in the driver name. Either you have an outdated, or default Microsoft driver, or netsh is looking at the wrong adapter. (Or, you don't have the adapter you linked to). So, first step is making extra sure you have the latest OEM (not Microsoft) driver for your exact adapter.

After that, it all gets down to playing with settings on both sides until they hook up. I would try turning off 802.11a and b on the laptop/adapter. (If it did work, it will be so slow, you wouldn't want it to work!) Check your router settings and see if it allows an 802.11n device or is set to ac-only. Keep toggling one thing at a time and retrying until it hooks up. Unless it never does. Some device pairs just never work with each other.

What security and encryption are you using? If AES try TKIP. I had that issue with Tomato a few revision s ago.

Any way you can post up your router advanced? settings page (minus passwords etc)

after not working on linux as well, I'm leaning towards some sort of settings incompatibility, or possibly hardware failure.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Your link is to an 802.11ac adapter, but netsh only shows older 802.11n radios, despite the "802.11ac" in the driver name.
My built-in wifi adapter doesn't show "ac" when running netsh either, yet it connects to my 5GHz network just fine, so I'm not sure that means much.

According to Amazon reviews, this particular USB wifi adapter works with 5 GHz networks, unless they're all lying.

I did double check the drivers. Ran on both the ones provided by the adapter's manufacturer as well as on the ones I downloaded directly from Realtek.

Originally Posted by AandPDan
What security and encryption are you using? If AES try TKIP. I had that issue with Tomato a few revision s ago.
I'm using AES. My Tomato tells me "TKIP encryption is not supported with WPA/WPA2 in N and AC mode."

Originally Posted by Rand
Any way you can post up your router advanced? settings page (minus passwords etc)
Status Overview:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Basic Wireless settings:

Advanced Wireless settings:

for testing purposes could you set the 5ghz to 20mhz "channel width" and no password/security and see if it connects.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Not willing to do that. I will just return this POS. Thanks.

Always a good option.

Just a quick update on this: I ended up returning it for refund. Then the seller sent me a newer version with updated firmware at no charge. This one finally works on 5 GHz, like it was supposed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back