The Top Dexos2 Oil Available in the USA is What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
http://www.amazon.com/RAVENOL-J1A1531-SA..._23&sr=8-23 Excellent oil and a whole lot cheaper than what you are being quoted.

You have a OLM? Change it a 40~50% with this (cause it's cheap enough and it meets a ton of specs)
smile.gif

Your motor will last a long time
smile.gif

Yea-if he waits until 10% or 20% of OLM his motor won't last.....LOL
smirk.gif

I have used Mobil 3000 XE and, AC Delco Dexos 2. Analysis has been virtualy identical between the two. Currently I'm using Valvoline MST 5w30. Been changing the oil every 6 months or 5,000 miles

Last edited:
Any updates, 2 1/2 years later, from when I first asked this question, "What's the Top Dexos2 Oil available in the US?"

I am asking again for a couple of reasons:

1) It has come to my understanding that many 2014- 16 Ram 3.0 Eco Diesel owners, that originally were recommended and encouraged to use Pennzoil Euro L 5W30, wound up with engine wear related
problems. (Especially under towing conditions). These engines are now recommended to use an equivalent to Rotella 5W40. Was it because the 5W30 oil was "overtaxed" or was it an engine
design issue? Asking because my 2.8L Colorado diesel is based on this same Ram engine (with modifications by GM).

2) I have come across some Ravenol REP Racing 5W30 and Ravenol VMP 5W30 on clearance for roughly $8/ qt. The "REP" oil comes with Dexos 2 approvals, the VMP oil, though not Dexos
approved, has a 3.7 HT/HS, 0.7% sulfated ash, and meets Mercedes 229.51, BMW LL04 & VW 507. diesel specs. Can I expect any upgraded performance over a Mobil 1 ESP 5W30? Or a
Valvoline MST 5W40 (which is Dexos 2) for a much cheaper price?

With talk of warranty claims here and saying as long as you have receipts with the right oil. My ? is when I bought my car there was nothing said or nothing in my contract stating if I change my oil I have to prove anything to anybody at anytime, for any situation. I see this on the Hyundai forums with Hyundai's oil film barrier issue they have had for 8 years now, that trash 14% of their engines. I know Hyundai Canada plays the "we have to charge you $800 engine tear down to see if you changed your oil and if your motor is clean we will not charge you the $800" To that I say BS boys ....how about charging me $100 to R&R the valve cover and inspect the head that will 110% tell you the sludge health of the motor. If the customer did regular oil changes with full synthetic you don't even need to pull the valve cover, since the cleanliness is VERY well seen in the valve cover oil access hole in most cars. A simple $150 bore scope will help on all others. I don't see this much in the forums with USA dealers, since MMWA could help on false BS ways out of warranty Hyundai Canada seems to use.

I would just use a CK-4 HDEO in the appropriate grade. 5 million commercial trucks of various sizes use it every day. There is nothing special about a pickup truck engine that needs anything else.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
The top Dexos2 oil available in the US is any Dexos2 oil that's on sale for a good price when you're buying oil.

If it meets Dex2 specs, it meets them, period.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back