Why are we not seeing SN+ 0w40/5W40 weight oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

Help me understand this. As the N.American oil industry is moving toward lower calcium and high magnum content to combat LSPI. I generally see SN+ plus oils only in the specific grades - 0W20, 5W20, 0W30, 5W30 and 10W30.

Why are we not seeing SN+ 0w40/5w40 weight oils on the market? (I do see Pennzoil 0w40 making this move, however)
To me, gasoline, turbocharged, direct injection with the concern of LSPI affects everyone globally, including the European market (For instance, Mercedes-Benz or BMW, that might spec a 0w40 in a direct injected turbo charged vehicle)

I still see shelves at AAP, Wally World, Meijer, all have moved to SN+ except the "European" type oils. Mobil 1 0w40, Castrol 0W40, PP 0W40...and so on.

Are the auto manufactures that specify 0W40, 5w40 etc (for the turbocharged, direct injector vehicles) not experiencing LSPI?

Help me understand this! Thank you.

Last edited:
I am running Delo 5w-40 XSP SN+ in my car. I have had an LSPI event on 87 octane that is speced for my 2018 Hyundai AWD 1.6T when it was new FF. It made it through that event so far. It was as if the car jumped 5 feet in the air, and slammed down. I now run 91/93 octane almost all summer and Minnesota winters I half fill with 89 octane. When I am thrashing corners I have 93 octane. Euro guys have better gas too, they just don't seem to have as much of a problem.

Probably looking at new old stock. But seriously I have lots of oil in my stash that isn't SN+ and trust me I'll bet I get no written complaints from the Toyota and that my UOA continues to look good.

There are tons of SN+ Xw40's (Warren, Chevron, Peak blah blah blah)... just use the API database and search by service category or viscosity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back