Replacing a HP power steering line...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace a high pressure power steering line. I'm pretty sure it's going to be straight forward and easy, I've done harder things than this before but is there any potential problems I should watch for to make the job easier from anyone's past experience?

The book says to drain the PS system entirely (including going lock to lock to drain the rack) but I don't plan on doing that. I plan on maybe draining the reservoir and then just undoing the line at the pump and catching whatever leaks out. Other than that it's just replacing the hose and making sure the O-rings are lubed up and not pinched.

Anyone disagree? I also couldn't find a torque spec for the flared end that goes into the rack with the nut so I just assume I have to make it reasonably tight.

You can do it that way, no problem at all just have a catch pan under it. They want you to have all new fluid in it so what you do is after the job leave the return line off the reservoir and attach a piece of eg 3/4 vinyl tubing to it and the other end into a container, fill it with fresh fluid and do a few lock to lock with the engine off, refill then have someone start the engine briefly.
Fill it and start again until you see the fresh fluid at the tubing. When its coming out the same color as its going in stop, attach the hose to the reservoir and fill it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back