Any reason any of these oils wouldn’t be ok to run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there are multiple threads across the web.

F150
SuperCrew
4x4
Tow 1500-2000 pounds 10-20 times a year.
A few short trips of 8 miles one way. Park two hours and back. Several hour long trips per week.

Usually 5-7k OCI.
Very spirited driving.

MotorCraft 5W20 blend is what she calls for. I run the FL500S.

Other than the MC I have cases of these.

Havoline (Dino) HM is in her now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Why not the Motorcraft FS 5W30?

Why these oil you get a deal on them?

This is a large sump engine. How hot does the oil get when you are towing?

If it stays under 110C then I would stick with a premium full synthetic 5w20.

And to your question Skip the milesyn 5w30 with its horrendous % off over 14%. That aint no synthetic

Last edited:
I should've included that in my OP.

I have cases of this stuff (other than the MC blend) thanks to you all posting deals on here!

Especially the Miles synthetic blend and Penzoil copper bottle.

I usually run 5-7k intervals.

No idea on oil temp. No gauge.

Last edited:
I'd run them and not give it a second thought as they all meet the required spec. (SN). I'd run the 5w30 in summer.....

Originally Posted by rsylvstr

I usually run 5-7k intervals.

Any plain, cheap (but still API rated) oil will work fine in this application for 57K miles.
No need for anything exotic.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

This is a large sump engine. How hot does the oil get when you are towing?

Towing a "measly" 2,000 pounds should not affect oil temperature AT ALL.

I pull 8,000 pounds of oilfield pipe behind my F150 almost every 2-3 weeks, for several hours at a time.

Originally Posted by csandste
All meet specs and are good to go. If you got a good deal on them, use them without a second thought.
Which ever price point Conventional, Semi syn or syn a major oil company 's oil that meets the specs will serve you fine

Of the specs that you list, the MC 5w20 and PHM 5w30 look OK, but from your truck's usage, I see no reason to use anything but Ford's specified 5w20.

I wouldn't use the Milesyn SB 5w30. Flash point and NOACK look like it would cause high oil consumption.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Of the specs that you list, the MC 5w20 and PHM 5w30 look OK, but from your truck's usage, I see no reason to use anything but Ford's specified 5w20.

I wouldn't use the Milesyn SB 5w30. Flash point and NOACK look like it would cause high oil consumption.

At 5~7k mile oci's and unless there's a cooling issue, I'd be surprised if he'd see a demostrable difference in dipstick levels between a 11% and 14% noack lube.

Thanks all. Some are scared to run 5w30 even though the mustang can take a much thicker oil.

The havoline Dino HM 5W20 is in it now with 1.7 quarts of the MC blend since I had it in hand and both are 20s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back