Valvoline 5w/30 Advanced Full Syn, '19 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sample was taken at the last oil change, which was the 2nd one for this vehicle since new. As noted in the report, there's still some wear-in metals, silicon etc. showing up due to the low total mileage, which I expected. This analysis was more about oil performance than the wear metals at this point. The moly content was higher than I anticipated--since this was the 2nd oil change on this vehicle, I would have expected the assembly lube to have been removed with the factory fill (1st oil change), so I'm a little puzzled by that amount. The viscosity was well within normal limits and the TBN was still good. Insolubles look good (Fram XG9688 filter). I'll likely use this combination going forward.

img058.jpg

You may want something that starts off a little thicker than the Valvoline. Here are 3 good choices; Mobil 1 original, QSUD and Havoline Pro DS.

Originally Posted by Gubkin
TBN 2.1 is critical
oil is dead
use 5-40 MB 229.5 full saps

From what I read, TBN depletion is not linear.

Excellent wear metals, I'd go for 5k oci with that combo.

Originally Posted by jbutch
TBN 2.1 is critical
oil is dead

It's not linear...

While the BN still has life, you may have ran the oil too long as far as viscosity goes. The standard range for a SAE 30 is 9.3~13.5..and your FP looks low. (due to slight FD?).. Maybe this is all due to the engine still breaking in (rings, valve seals???)

I've seen some great UOA's by Valvoline Advanced, so maybe this UOA is an outlier on an engine still breaking in. Run it again and see what turns up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
TBN 2.1 is critical
oil is dead

It's not linear...

While the BN still has life, you may have ran the oil too long as far as viscosity goes. The standard range for a SAE 30 is 9.3~13.5..and your FP looks low. (due to slight FD?).. Maybe this is all due to the engine still breaking in (rings, valve seals???)

I've seen some great UOA's by Valvoline Advanced, so maybe this UOA is an outlier on an engine still breaking in. Run it again and see what turns up.

I put the same combo back in at this oil change. The 2.1 TBN doesn't concern me--I doubt I'd ever exceed 5000 miles on an OCI in this vehicle. As for the viscosity, it seems like it falls comfortably within the spread listed by Blackstone for a 5/30. As for fuel dilution, I've seen worse from other DI engines. I'll likely do another UOA after a few more oil changes. NOTE: Hyundai suggests a 5w/20 for this engine, but 5w/30 is also approved for use.

Looks good, but Surprised TBN is at 2 in under 5k miles.

Lot of short trips?

How many months was the oil in service?

Thanks for the report. I just posted UOA on this oil also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Robster
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
TBN 2.1 is critical
oil is dead

It's not linear...

I put the same combo back in at this oil change. The 2.1 TBN doesn't concern me--I doubt I'd ever exceed 5000 miles on an OCI in this vehicle. As for the viscosity, it seems like it falls comfortably within the spread listed by Blackstone for a 5/30. As for fuel dilution, I've seen worse from other DI engines. I'll likely do another UOA after a few more oil changes. NOTE: Hyundai suggests a 5w/20 for this engine, but 5w/30 is also approved for use.

Yeah, it's not a bad report. There's just a couple of things that stood out to me but I wouldn't put too much worry into them at this point since it's still breaking in and things are setting.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Looks good, but Surprised TBN is at 2 in under 5k miles.

Lot of short trips?

How many months was the oil in service?

Thanks for the report. I just posted UOA on this oil also.

My wife's commute is only about 8 miles (each way) of highway, with a few miles in a city environment (stop and go). She does idle the car a lot at times.

The oil was in use from 3/15/19 to 8/17/19.

I think the oil held up pretty well under the circumstances.

My girl friend has 2.4 in her '17 Optima Hertz rental car. Running about 6500 miles Magnatec until it gets around to an odometer reading divisible by 5000 then it'll be conventional*(syn blend really) 5w30. Same with my 2 liter Soul and my daughter's 1.6 liter Accent. Think the secret on these things is relatively short OCI's given the GDI. I think your oil looks fine, what's wrong with a TBN of 2?

* If we didn't live in condos and could change our oil it would be a low end syn.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
My girl friend has 2.4 in her '17 Optima Hertz rental car. Running about 6500 miles Magnatec until it gets around to an odometer reading divisible by 5000 then it'll be conventional*(syn blend really) 5w30. Same with my 2 liter Soul and my daughter's 1.6 liter Accent. Think the secret on these things is relatively short OCI's given the GDI. I think your oil looks fine, what's wrong with a TBN of 2?

* If we didn't live in condos and could change our oil it would be a low end syn.

Nothing per se, IMO. It's on the "low" end but there's still life there... the oils corrosion inhibitors are doing it's job, if the TBN is at 2 and that's concerning (not to me)... don't blame the lube, "blame" the engine because I've seen this lube stand up to drain intervals twice this long with a TBN of ~3. You have to look at this report in context, this engine is in its infancy and since this report doesn't exactly have any glaring red flags I'd give it a couple more oci's before reaching any long term conclusions either way... but that's just me.

I'm not surprised by the TBN on VAS 5W30 for 4,600 miles ... I have the same 2.4l GDI engine in my /17 Sonata at 28K miles on it using the same oil and I won't go more than 5K mile OCI's on it .
*I wonder what VAS 5W20 would look like at 4,600 miles ?

I stick to the 3750 mile severe service for my 2.4L.

Dealer changes it with semi syn for $30.50 including shop fees, new crush washer, and new hyundai filter.

Originally Posted by JustinH

Dealer changes it with semi syn for $30.50 including shop fees, new crush washer, and new hyundai filter.

That's a good price for a dealer oil change.ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by JustinH

Same here, unless my wife's driving routine changes. I set the maintenance minder at 4000-sometimes I do it a little early, sometimes it goes a little over (like this time). It seems that with this oil I have a little safety margin if I go over, although any brand would handle this OCI with no problem.

A uoa on a new engine is a waste of money unless there is a suspected problem.

Originally Posted by CT8

It won't be a good basis of a wear metal trend, but will help one to see how fuel and water is doing, and if there are potentially any leaks.

Originally Posted by CT8

If the goal of the UOA is to gauge the performance of the oil with regard to fuel dilution / contamination, as well as to establish a baseline for additives and TBN, it is not a waste of money. I knew that wear metals would be exaggerated due to the low total miles on this engine, but even in this regard establishing these levels can be the beginning data-point needed to establish TREND, an important step in diagnosing any engine issues that may arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back