Is Mobile 1 better than Quaker state oil in burn off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car manual recommends a Synthetic 10 W 30 weight so I have been using Quaker state for years fully synthetic , I could not find the weight 10 W 30 in my store so I saw the Mobile 1 on sale and purchased that oil 10 W 30 . , when I looked up the oil chart on oils , the burn off rate was more on the Mobile 1 regular synthetic than on the Quaker state synthetic oil,

Will I have to add oil more frequently -to top it off with the Mobile oil ?
01.gif

Probably not unless your engine is a burner. However, Mobil 1 may have a slightly lower cST in its grade of oil than the QS. So in testing, the lab has shown that M1 may have some more burn off than QS in its grade. Others will chime in with a more explainable version of what I am "trying" to say. And IDK if I said it correctly.

Last edited:
Did your vehicle "burn" oil with Quaker State? If so, cSt and Noak are not going to make a difference. Look for an oil with a higher HTHS (Mobil1 HM 10w-30 = HTHS 3.5).

If you weren't topping off before, I wouldn't sweat it. I regularly run different noack lubes and never have to top off. Is there some difference in evaporative loss between lubes, sure I suppose. But not enough to make a difference in the dipstick level in my experience.

*it's worth noting my oci's are 5k tops

Last edited:
What kind of vehicle do you have that requires Synthetic oil ? I quit using Synthetic in my SUV because it burned it right up.

Originally Posted by snake123
My car manual recommends a Synthetic 10 W 30 weight so I have been using Quaker state for years fully synthetic , I could not find the weight 10 W 30 in my store so I saw the Mobile 1 on sale and purchased that oil 10W-30

Next time you could just get the Walmart brand, SuperTech. I think they still sell a full synthetic 10W-30

Cant say, I run Castrol 0w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 in one engine and it does not use anything measurable on the stick between 5K OCI. PP Euro 0w40 goes through it like crap through a goose (not that dramatic but it does use it) and not for just one OCI either, other users claim no problem. Go figure that one.
Back on the Castrol and no more issues.

You will have to bite the bullet and give it a try. That is the only way to find out.

Originally Posted by CT8
You will have to bite the bullet and give it a try. That is the only way to find out.

It may burn off some of that new oil at first since you are using a different oil.

I think your right , my other oil quarter state did not burn off as quickly as Mobile 1 ,

Originally Posted by Trav
Cant say, I run Castrol 0w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 in one engine and it does not use anything measurable on the stick between 5K OCI. PP Euro 0w40 goes through it like crap through a goose (not that dramatic but it does use it) and not for just one OCI either, other users claim no problem. Go figure that one.
Back on the Castrol and no more issues.

My experience with Pennzoil since the switch to a Natural Gas formulation has been the same. My car just seems to use it up. I have used Mobil 1, Castrol Edge and Quaker State Ultimate Durability all in 5W-20 with much better results.

Mobil 1 HM burned faster than any oil I've ever used in my Nissan. Both 5 and 10-30, didn't matter. Doesn't mean it's bad oil, just didn't work for my application.

Originally Posted by D1dad
Mobil 1 HM burned faster than any oil I've ever used in my Nissan. Both 5 and 10-30, didn't matter. Doesn't mean it's bad oil, just didn't work for my application.

Same here. If I use Mobil 1 EP on my Accord, it will burn more vs Me using Castrol Titanium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back