Type of oil for 2002 Honda CR-V, 261K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I have a 2002 CR-V with 261k miles on it that I probably haven't been treating right and I want some advice. I put on about 90k of these. I hope to keep it going past 300k.

I've been using Costco's Chevron Supreme 5w30 and a cheap filter like Fram TG, every 3000mi it so. Would I be better off getting some kind of HM oil in 5w20 like Honda calls for it?

The thing that gave me concern is this:

Before the last OC I had a problem with the car not going to higher RPMs, tracked it down to a clogged up VTEC Solenoid. Once I cleaned it out it was all fine, but I wonder if I have a buildup throughout the engine that I should deal with?

You should be using an oil listed in the owners manual.

I would not use a HM oil unless there is a specific reason to use it beyond just mileage. Like rear main seal leaking.

Chevron Supreme is an excellent oil. Use with confidence. I'd increase the interval to 6 months/4k miles. Check the oil level often as in every two weeks to see if it consumes any oil since that wasn't mentioned.

Hey - Seattle, 2002MY Honda, 216k miles, I'd be using Mobil 1 10w-30 High Mileage.

In fact we have a 2003MY Honda w/186k and that's what I use.
wink.gif
It is like $11/5qt jug at Walmart through the end of the month, after rebate. Can you actually buy the Chevron that cheaply?

The reason to use an HM oil now and not later is that it does really no good to quit smoking AFTER you get cancer. Start treating it right before the problems show up...
wink.gif

I'd keep running the Chevron 5w-30. It's good oil. Your car doesn't need high mileage or synthetic.

I think a clogged VTEC solenoid is a common thing on these so I wouldn't blame it on anything you may or may not have done.

I'd say you're doing just fine...you're only doing 3,000 mile oil changes and using a quality brand name oil. When you said you were not treating it right I figured you doing 10,000 mile oil changes using olive oil.

I would think the slightly heavier weight should be beneficial for an engine with that many miles.

Last edited:
I love the High Mileage stuff. I would run 5w30 Syn HM.
Ot at least Valvoline MaxLife semi syn.
But with the Wally World stuff so cheap, why use the dino stuff.

Kudos on the mileage; you are doing something right.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back