asymmetrical non directional tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my Ford Fusion I plan to upgrade the stock 16" wheels to the OEM 18" wheels next year when its time for new tires. Browsing tires yesterday online it appears there is not much selection for asymmetrical non directional tires. Size is 235-45-18. I guess most low profile tires are directional these days. I like the ability to cross rotate if needed and get the most mileage out of the tires as possible with the least possible road noise. Trying to keep within a known brand name and decent tread wear rating, tirerack showed about three or four options under 200 bucks each. Not going to Walmart again either.

I wouldnt consider that an upgrade.. but then again you arent dealing with Ohio Roads either.

Practically any tire will have more noise in the 18" no-profile size than in the original 16" with real sidewalls. So if you want the least possible road noise, stick with the stock size or even downsize to 15 if possible
smile.gif

Also, even though Walmart has the long wait times, they do have free lifetime balance and rotation that covers the flip/remount for directional tires.

The lower-profile sizes' tire selections usually tend towards the high performance tires, which have less treadlife. Looking on TR, most tires available in your size are indeed asymmetric and non-directional. The 18" tires will almost certainly cost more than the 16's, sometimes by a lot, especially the name brands.

So, why exactly do you want the bigger tires?
smirk2.gif

Anyway, SimpleTire has the Bridgestone T005 for $110 each
eBay has the Michelin Primacy 3 for $165 each

Do you mean symmetric? Because when I look at Tire Rack for 235/45R18, and set the filters for <$200 and the categories for everything all-season, I see 56 options, and only two of them are directional. They mostly look to be asymmetric tread patterns, but there's zero issue with cross-rotating an asymmetric tire - the outside face will be the outside face regardless of which side of the car it's mounted on.

I try to avoid directional tires that can't be cross rotated-- hard to get even treadwear out of all four tires. It can be done, just not as easily.

I'm willing to bet there are many asymmetric NON-directional tires in that size. This type of tire will be marked "outside" and "inside" and therefore can only be mounted on the rim one way, but they can be placed on the car in any position and turn either direction.

Originally Posted by krzyss
Firehawk Indy 500
SUMITOMO HTR Z5
P ZERO NERO GT

All below 200 USD.

Krzys

Maybe, but if he wants something quiet and longer-lasting, a grand touring summer tire might be better, like the Michelin Primacy 3 and Bridgestone T005
smile.gif

Quiet - maybe, long(er) lasting - definitely.

When driving rental in Florida I was amazed how slick the roads were after rain and apparently not only to me but to others who crashed. I thought I saw more crashes in Florida in rain than Massachusetts in snow (in similar time period).
If I were living there wet traction would be my paramount concern, forget about longevity.
Hence summer performance tires.

Krzys

Originally Posted by leeharvey418
Do you mean symmetric? Because when I look at Tire Rack for 235/45R18, and set the filters for div>

I have a 2016 Fusion SE AWD with the 235/45R18 goodyear stock tires. They are not directional and I rotate them zip zag pattern. These tires are not good tires and I will replace them in the future with something else. That being said the Fusion AWD system even with these tires is great in snow. I've driven other awd cars including Subaru and I think the Fusion AWD system is just as good.

No one has mentioned General Altimax Rt43 yet?

Yes, they are not assymetric, or are they directional, cross rotation is still possible on them.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

Yes, they are not assymetric, or are they directional, cross rotation is still possible on them.

That's because summer tires are probably better for his needs
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by UG_Passat

That's because summer tires are probably better for his needs
smile.gif

Where do you think we are? Europe?

Low wear ratings on those summer tires you identified, are not usually high on the preferred characteristics list. Americans tend to more tires that last longer, and they happen to be all-seasons.

The stock 16's look terrible and are hard to keep clean. Plus, traction is low while pulling out from a stop while turning,, especially on wet pavement. The 18" 5 spoke should be much easier to keep clean and the wider contact patch should give better traction as well. I just prefer a tire I can cross rotate.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
I just prefer a tire I can cross rotate.

Again, the fact that you say you only found four is what leads me to believe that you're thinking you can't cross-rotate asymmetrical tires.

The stock 16's look terrible and are hard to keep clean. Plus, traction is low while pulling out from a stop while turning,, especially on wet pavement. The 18" 5 spoke should be much easier to keep clean and the wider contact patch should give better traction as well. I just prefer a tire I can cross rotate.

cool
thumbsup2.gif

Well, the T005 and Primacy 3 seem like good tires that have what you are looking for
smile.gif

Great info guys, going to look into this more as spring approaches. The hard part will be finding the wheels at a reasonable price. It seems as if OEM Ford Fusion wheels are not very common on the used market.

Great info guys, going to look into this more as spring approaches. The hard part will be finding the wheels at a reasonable price. It seems as if OEM Ford Fusion wheels are not very common on the used market.

Are these the ones you are looking for?
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back