Do traffic attorneys really work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its state dependent. Go to court and see if they offer you a reduced charge. Maybe police will not show and it will be dismissed. If there are no offers to reduce, plead not guilty and hire attorney.

Here where I live in VA, the way out is to have your speedometer calibrated. Cost about $75-100. If you are off 1 mph (either over or under) your speeding charge is reduced to "Improper equipment." Still pay the money but nothing on your insurance.

It's a county by county thing.

It may seem to be an extreme amount to pay the attorney, but the value of time off and the value of not having a ticket when your insurance pulls your record and it's worth it.

Years ago, I had a mandatory court appearance, so paying the attorney $90 plus the ticket was a no brain option. Since I'd have to pay the fine anyway (I was WAAAY over the limit) it made sense to give the traffic attorney the money.

It was something like 30 days traffic probation, maybe 90, and if I was a good boy, nothing on my record.

Even had I had to take only a half day off work, I'd still lose more than the $90 in time off value.

Sometimes it's just worth it to pay the inside guy to get it done with little hassle.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Tickets are just to generate revenue...... All they want is money, make it easy on them to get it, and they will take the gaff just fine.

One thing that struck me is that in So. Florida I rarely see traffic stops for speeding or other violations. I have my place in Palm Beach County, a county which is well-funded. A lot of well-to-do people pay a lot in property tax. No need to generate additional revenues.

On the other hand, in Michigan you can see many traffic stops during a drive. Gotta be a good boy around here to stay out of trouble.

The cynic in me says they work real well in lower population areas where there are only a few traffic court judges who the traffic ticket lawyer knows. Wouldn't shock me if the lawyer splits part of the fee with the judge that is paid by the driver to get a reduced or eliminated fine.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Originally Posted by Ws6
Tickets are just to generate revenue...... All they want is money, make it easy on them to get it, and they will take the gaff just fine.

One thing that struck me is that in So. Florida I rarely see traffic stops for speeding or other violations. I have my place in Palm Beach County, a county which is well-funded. A lot of well-to-do people pay a lot in property tax. No need to generate additional revenues.

On the other hand, in Michigan you can see many traffic stops during a drive. Gotta be a good boy around here to stay out of trouble.

It's very similar on the west coast of Florida.....In Collier County where wealthy Naples is located....you rarely see 'speed traps'...but go north one county to (poorer) Lee County and they are everywhere....it really is "all about the Benjamins"......

In my friend's extreme case, yes a traffic attorney did help in a street racing/show of speed ticket for 35+ over. Costed him well in the thousands though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back