Heat Shield Loose

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the 05 Matrix towards the rear axle. Kind of by the plastic gas tank. Half of it is hanging down but the exhaust pipe is holding it in place for now. Looks like it's pretty rusted so will need to replace or remove. About 5 years ago and prob 70k miles ago the dealer did a tsb where they replaced the screw in the gas tank strap which connects to the heat shield. It's makes a fair amount of noise esp on start up or when hitting bumps.

Prob prefer to remove it and be done with it but open to suggestions. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

Usually people just let it fall off. On my truck, two of them got loose. I went to the hardware store and bought 2 or 3 different length stainless steel clamps, like the sort used on dryer vents (I think). Put one around it, tightened down, done.

Old wire clothes hanger
.......cut to size, wrap around pipe and heat shield.
Get your Lineman's pliers out and twist the ends together the same way you would splice two wires together. When tight, bend the wire up and flush with pipe.

I would keep the shield in place. In addition to the previous suggestions, you can chain link two large zip ties.

I would also check the other heat shields toward the front of the car. In the very first or front shield you may already be missing a bolt or two as they just seem to fall out. You can see these first two bolt positions by getting under the car (near the oil filter) and looking back and up toward the exhaust.

It depends. In a lot of cases the aluminum brakes off around the stud and nut holding the shield. If that;s the case, I successfully, with lots of penetrating fluid, undid them, put oversized washers, and reinstalled the heat shield in the past. Another good method is self taping screws.
But if the nuts and studs broke off, removing the shield on such an old car is probably the next best thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
It depends. In a lot of cases the aluminum brakes off around the stud and nut holding the shield. If that;s the case, I successfully, with lots of penetrating fluid, undid them, put oversized washers, and reinstalled the heat shield in the past. Another good method is self taping screws.
But if the nuts and studs broke off, removing the shield on such an old car is probably the next best thing.

This and this. You forget how quiet your car can be. Lots of people live with the rattle for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back