Facebook Marketplace BS price car ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
FB market has been good to me. Way less a pain than CL, but still get the scammers and such of course.

I once had a guy drive all the way from Texas to buy two marine diesel engines. He gets here, looks over the motors, and decides that he has no idea what the heck he is looking at and leaves without buying. I would have thought it was an excuse, but he looked legitimately distressed as he asked numerous questions how to install them into his boat. One of the stranger ones indeed.

Here is South Florida, the issues can be pretty epic. You have to have patience, apathy, and assertiveness in order to sell something for a good price.

I too use the practice of "bulk responses". You have to, because people will have 5 of their friends send you the same low-ball offers to convince you that your item is worth nothing. 99% of communication is low balling.

The most recent trend I have seen is outright aggression. I had a guy show up to our meeting spot 20 minutes early and then proceed to call me every name on the face of the Earth because I was not there. No thanks.

Why does this go on? For the same reason every other stupid thing goes on: Some people fall for it. Had a friend who was selling his old car and literally gave it up for $600 because he was so "tired" of how many messages he was getting. The guy who bought the car turned around and resold it on eBay for $4700.

How do we know that? The "buyer" never picked up the car from my friend. Truck showed up to get it and informed him that the car was going to be delivered to a buyer under COD for $4700 because it had been sold on eBay. Checked eBay and low and behold.

I'm finding it hit or miss.

Not trying to sell a car, but sold the 11 year old appliances out of my remodeled home. I'd get the "Is the still available?" message from a handful of people. Apparently, if you click to message someone about something, that is the default message sent.

The appliances sold, but then when we bought a new dryer with the money from the appliances, the old dryer has been in my hands for about 3 weeks.

The original set buyer flaked as he was going to give me $100 for the dryer.

I get people from 100 miles away asking about a $40 old laptop I wiped the drive and installed Linux on it, only to then get a message that her husband said she can't buy it.

But in other news, hours after I listed my 5 station cordless phone set, saying we cut the cord, but you can have these today for $20 so you don't miss any upcoming election or telemarketing calls, they sold.

Ditto for old bike wheels. Sold for my $150 asking price in a day.

I think the cake was I put an old artificial pre-lit Christmas tree on my front porch, gave the name of the subdivision and said as long as the ad is up, you can come get it for free. I clearly said I was not delivering a free tree, they had to come get it. So I'd get "will you deliver" or "where are you" (we are the only house in the subdivision with a lit up tree on the front porch at the end of January.)

Remember, half of all people are below average intelligence
smile.gif

Originally Posted by 14Accent
FB marketplace is a joke. I've got my Cadillac listed up for $1,400 with photos and ALL the information on the car. All I've gotten are "Will you take $700?" "What's wrong with it?" "Does it run and drive?". I retort to all these messages with "No" or "Read the ad".

If you have a SPECIFIC question, then ask it. Otherwise don't waste my time.

I suppose I should post a follow up:

Not an hour after posting this, I got a message from a really nice guy asking if he could come by my shop (I've just been leaving the car there, easier to "show") when he got off work. Lord help me, he showed up EARLY, with my asking price in hand. Apparently his 740i decided it didn't like it's water pump anymore and sent the fan through the radiator. He was just looking for something to get him through the winter, while he fixed up the BMW.

He had no problem showing me the cash before a test drive, he volunteered his license for a test drive, and he bought the car right then and there. No tire kicking, no negotiation, nothing. Nice guy, we talked cars for a bit and off he went. Now I've got to carry around this heavy wallet... ha!

Half the fun of these transactions is haggling over the price. I've sold one car that the buyer didn't haggle and I was kind of disappointed even though I got the full asking price.

14Accent said:
I suppose I should post a follow up:

Not an hour after posting this, I got a message from a really nice guy asking if he could come by my shop (I've just been leaving the car there, easier to "show") when he got off work. Lord help me, he showed up EARLY, with my asking price in hand. Apparently his 740i decided it didn't like it's water pump anymore and sent the fan through the radiator. He was just looking for something to get him through the winter, while he fixed up the BMW.

He had no problem showing me the cash before a test drive, he volunteered his license for a test drive, and he bought the car right then and there. No tire kicking, no negotiation, nothing. Nice guy, we talked cars for a bit and off he went. Now I've got to carry around this heavy wallet... ha!

Sounds like you had a good experience. Meanwhile when I was looking at Mustangs, I had a guy resort to racism and sending me fake pictures of how much money he had in the bank when I showed up and called him out on what a piece of junk his "like new" car was!

Last edited:
I purchased a Craftsman air compressor from a guy on Market place that had two mutual friends. It has a 33 gallon tank and all it needed was a 10 dollar belt. He first asked 60 bucks then dropped the price to 45 and I was ready to give him 60!
Runs great.

My grandkids moved out of state and left a big 14 foot trampoline in my backyard. It was in excellent shape and had been used little. I put it on CL for free just come and take it apart and haul it off. Oh BOY, can you deliver it, will it fit in the trunk of a Honda civic, Will you hold it until next week. Do you have a truck I can borrow. One woman called me and said she was on her way, I told her first come, first served. After several hours a guy with a van came, took it apart and hauled it off. Woman called me the next day and said she was on her way. Told her too late it's gone, she became irate because she had called first. I tried to explain to her what first come first served meant, but without any luck.

Originally Posted by odotb
My grandkids moved out of state and left a big 14 foot trampoline in my backyard. It was in excellent shape and had been used little. I put it on CL for free just come and take it apart and haul it off. Oh BOY, can you deliver it, will it fit in the trunk of a Honda civic, Will you hold it until next week. Do you have a truck I can borrow. One woman called me and said she was on her way, I told her first come, first served. After several hours a guy with a van came, took it apart and hauled it off. Woman called me the next day and said she was on her way. Told her too late it's gone, she became irate because she had called first. I tried to explain to her what first come first served meant, but without any luck.

Your mistake putting it up for free. You need to ask a reasonable amount like $100 or less to filter garbage people who ask for that.

A friend ran into that with FREE Woden quality playground. I said put it up for $150 and guess what, a person disassembled it and placed j to their own pickup happily paid $125 for it.

They need to let you browse the ads without logging in. Right now, you can only select transmission and price range for the car ads! You can;t select make/model unless you sign in
mad.gif

Retardation is universal across any selling platform. Idiots abound and nobody will value your time as much as you do. So you either accept it or do not sell. I will say there is ways to word ads to cut down on the idiots but the time wasters have no problems ignoring that.

I like the single mom sob stories that want something for nothing and I just tell the local jiggle club is hiring single moms all day long.

Originally Posted by Hootbro
I just tell the local jiggle club is hiring single moms all day long.

Don't think they would hire wimins like these.

[Linked Image from previews.123rf.com]

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Hootbro
I just tell the local jiggle club is hiring single moms all day long.

Don't think they would hire wimins like these.

[Linked Image from previews.123rf.com]

They do in Amarillo Texas

I've recently discovered scummy salvage rebuild dealers on CL posting their cars in the "by owner" section. Totally my fault I didn't ask before going to look at it, but I should have wondered what's up when I realized the car didn't have a license plate in the photos.

Now that I look for that I see all kinds of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back