Dodge Journey Soldiers On

Status
Not open for further replies.
This popped up today. I'm a little surprised.

Link

For starters, Dodge cuts the 2020 Journey lineup to two models: Journey SE Value and Journey Crossroad. This means the Journey SE and Journey GT are gone, and with the GT the 283-hp 3.6-liter V6 option has been dropped as well.

Both 2020 Journey models feature a standard 2.4-liter naturally aspirated four-cylinder engine that produces 172 hp and 165 lb-ft (224 Nm) of torque. The unit is mated to a four-speed automatic transmission (yes, you read that right) that sends power to the front wheels in the base SE Value model — an all-wheel-drive system is optional on the Crossroad.

wow, 4 speed.

I had one for a service loaner was total turd, a coworker's journey with more options wasnt as bad.

To put it in perspective I also had a 2019 compass loaner, base-fwd model and it was WAY better.

Its pretty dated. I drive them at work and have only had experience with the v6. Im excited to see what the 4cyl is all about. In my opinion a huge selling point was the v6.

Its amazing how old a 4 speed auto seems. I remember when a 6 speed automatic seemed way to complex (how can they fit 6 gears in there) and people were hesitant to switch from a 4 speed. Now we have 10 speed automatics.

Why do they keep making the Journey and that terrible engine and transmission combo at that, is beyond me. The Grand Caravan is a superior vehicle in all aspects and the MPG is pretty much the same. AWD is the only thing that the Journey has over the minivan and I guess minus the minivan stigma.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
AWD is the only thing that the Journey has over the minivan and I guess minus the minivan stigma.

Which is kinda funny, given the stigma that the Journey has online. Goes to show how much of a minority gearheads are.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a 4-speed automatic, except for the quality of those coming from Chrysler
smirk2.gif

That said, the low price for such a powerful V6 was a selling point.

An up model makes little sense for what likely is a fleet/rental and so far out of its league with upscale it can stick to a cheaper single lower trim where its selling point is price mainly.

Originally Posted by JTK
What 4spd auto do these use?

Looks like an A604/41TE Link
Not positive on gear ratios, probably 2.842/1.57/1/0.69R2.21, but Journey probably had a different FD than other cars.

Obligatory Jalopnik Link
[Linked Image]

I'd pass. 3.6L and the 6 speed would have been a better configuration to stick with. I wonder what they were thinking.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'd pass. 3.6L and the 6 speed would have been a better configuration to stick with. I wonder what they were thinking.

Milking the last pennies out of an old platform? Fleet sales?
21.gif
Not sure if it does anything to bolster mpg average for CAFE requirements.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by JTK
What 4spd auto do these use?

Looks like an A604/41TE Link
Not positive on gear ratios, probably 2.842/1.57/1/0.69R2.21, but Journey probably had a different FD than other cars.

That is odd that it doesn't list the 41TE as being used beyond 2008.

I looked at a couple under hood shots on carvana of 2018-19 Journii with the 4cyl and you can clearly see a bright yellow transmission oil dipstick. That's kind of nice.

As much as I like the pentastars I've owned, I wouldn't be against one of these if the price was right.

It's funny driving the 4spd AT in the Nissan Versa i picked up for my kids to drive. You could eat your lunch between gear changes.

Originally Posted by tomcat27
I thought that FCA had announced that they were retiring the Journey. as long as people buy them.....

They are saying the same thing about the Original Caravan. They should make a Journey S version souped up V6 with a supercharger.

The v6 was the only redeeming thing about those. My father in law bought a 4 banger/4 speed one against my suggestions, it was a lemon. He got a v6 one, he likes it way better.

Not everyone if fussy about their ride. They see something on a car lot that looks nice enough, if the price (or monthly payment) is good they buy it and drive happily along not caring if it has 4 or 6 cylinders, or how many speeds the tranny has. They probably care more about the color of the interior, and if it has a courtesy light & mirror on the backside of the sun visor than they do about all that other stuff.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Not everyone if fussy about their ride. They see something on a car lot that looks nice enough, if the price (or monthly payment) is good they buy it and drive happily along not caring if it has 4 or 6 cylinders, or how many speeds the tranny has. They probably care more about the color of the interior, and if it has a courtesy light & mirror on the backside of the sun visor than they do about all that other stuff.

They probably care that it has enough room to carry their families and the stuff they want to carry with them, that it's not a minivan, that it is a new vehicle with a warranty, and that the payment is affordable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back