Ford removed OLM from maintenance reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got the latest monthly maintenance report for my 2017 Escape 2.0 Ecoboost. Ford has removed the section that shows percent remaining life for engine oil. There is no option to display it on the car. I am really upset- how can I tell if I am getting close to needing an oil change. This seems to be a totally idiotic decision.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Ford has removed the section that shows percent remaining life for engine oil. There is no option to display it on the car.

According to your owner's manual, page 242, you can see the % remaining.

I think you should be able to view the percent somewhere in the screen in the instrument cluster.

You have to go to system check and scroll through the options

In the 2017 Escape with Sync-3 , there is NO way to display the OLM percent. I have been all over it countless times, and had many service guys look into it, and called Ford Customer Support. A buddy of mine is a Ford mechanic and he said the Escape with SYNC-3 will not display it, although he can get to it with his scan tools. The owners manual says "follow the OLM report". Now, it will tell me IF the oil reaches end-of-life, but not the % remaining before then. I feel its a serious omission. And the owners manual is wrong- they have not updated or clarified the online manual either.

There is an update for the SYNC3 firmware to version 3.0- I have 2.0 , but I do not believe they changed that feature. Very very frustrating. The monthly report was my only source of this info. I have the Bluedriver OBD tool so I am hoping it can find that info.

In the 2017 Escape with Sync-3 , there is NO way to display the OLM percent. I have been all over it countless times, and had many service guys look into it, and called Ford Customer Support. A buddy of mine is a Ford mechanic and he said the Escape with SYNC-3 will not display it, although he can get to it with his scan tools. The owners manual says "follow the OLM report". Now, it will tell me IF the oil reaches end-of-life, but not the % remaining before then. I feel its a serious omission. And the owners manual is wrong- they have not updated or clarified the online manual either.

There is an update for the SYNC3 firmware to version 3.0- I have 2.0 , but I do not believe they changed that feature. Very very frustrating. The monthly report was my only source of this info. I have the Bluedriver OBD tool so I am hoping it can find that info.

Not having an OLM is a big frustration in moving from GM to Kia, but at least I knew that when I bought it. If I was you I'd be frustrated too. Taking it away sucks.

Are you upset because you believe the engine will self destruct if you don't change the oil on the exact day that the OLM says a change is due?

Interestingly, on the previous gen Ford Focus the 2.0 cars had an OLM but the 1.0 EcoBoost cars did not.

In the 2017 Escape with Sync-3 , there is NO way to display the OLM percent. I have been all over it countless times, and had many service guys look into it, and called Ford Customer Support. A buddy of mine is a Ford mechanic and he said the Escape with SYNC-3 will not display it....

This has nothing to do with Sync 2 or Sync 3. Sync 3 is your "center" display's software where you control your audio system, climate control, navigation, etc, etc.

Use the steering wheel controls on the left-hand side of the wheel. From memory, while the car is running, left arrow, then up/down to System Check, then OK, then look for "Oil life...." in the screen.

Our family has a '17 Escape w/1.5 ecoboost...Sync 3. It shows remaining oil life % Also on the Ford Pass app..it shows the same thing...

[Linked Image]

I've noticed differences in FoMoCo displays, had 2 different 2013 F150 XLT, same engine, and some of the menu items were available or missing if the two were compared.

Mid-year change?
21.gif

In any case if yours does not display, perhaps it's time for a couple of UOAs to establish the correct OCI for your driving habits.

I'll double check that on my dad's 15 escape, but I know my 13 cmax will not display the olm . Period. You will get a pop up telling you oil change required within 100 mi.

Only reason I know that, the dealership that sold me mine apparently forgot to reset it when they changed the oil pre-delivery.
2 weeks later that msg came up, and I had to Google how to reset it.

I just got the latest monthly maintenance report for my 2017 Escape 2.0 Ecoboost. Ford has removed the section that shows percent remaining life for engine oil. There is no option to display it on the car. I am really upset- how can I tell if I am getting close to needing an oil change. This seems to be a totally idiotic decision.

Does your car have an odometer ? Thought so. For most people, that IS the oil life indicator ... !

Originally Posted by geeman789

Does your car have an odometer ? Thought so. For most people, that IS the oil life indicator ... !

That's what I use, with a couple of UOAs to make sure I wasn't overdoing it.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by earlyre
I'll double check that on my dad's 15 escape, but I know my 13 cmax will not display the olm . Period. You will get a pop up telling you oil change required within 100 mi.

Seems asinine. I mean, I drive over a hundred miles per day. Good thing I don't feel too much of a slave to an oil change, but still. I wouldn't care for it to pop up in the morning, a mile from my driveway--what would I need to do, stop at Jiffy Lube at lunchtime? for warranty purposes, hate for it to record that I was not diligent in being on top of oil changes.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
In the 2017 Escape with Sync-3 , there is NO way to display the OLM percent. I have been all over it countless times, and had many service guys look into it, and called Ford Customer Support. A buddy of mine is a Ford mechanic and he said the Escape with SYNC-3 will not display it....

This has nothing to do with Sync 2 or Sync 3. Sync 3 is your "center" display's software where you control your audio system, climate control, navigation, etc, etc.

Use the steering wheel controls on the left-hand side of the wheel. From memory, while the car is running, left arrow, then up/down to System Check, then OK, then look for "Oil life...." in the screen.

Sorry but your wrong- for whatever reason on the 2017 Escape , if you have the Sync-3 you will NOT get the Oil Life reading. I am not sure how many times I have to explain this, but that is the limitation. It might be a bug, or they ran out of memory, or an oversight or whatever, but you cannot display % remaining. I am hoping it might be something specific to the 2.0 firmware and the 3.0 restores it, but considering that it should be a completely separate function and limited to the ECM, it makes no sense. Yet here we are- its missing. Trust me, I had numerous service guys and mechanics tell me "its right there", and its not.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Wow, what kind of weenie whines about lack of an OLM?

This weenie does. Its an advertised feature, its a documented feature, and I paid for that feature, and I like that feature.

Originally Posted by supton

Seems asinine. I mean, I drive over a hundred miles per day. Good thing I don't feel too much of a slave to an oil change, but still. I wouldn't care for it to pop up in the morning, a mile from my driveway--what would I need to do, stop at Jiffy Lube at lunchtime? for warranty purposes, hate for it to record that I was not diligent in being on top of oil changes.

Agree- I frequently do 600-700 mile trips, and I want to know the condition in advance rather than be surprised a few miles down the road.

Originally Posted by supton

Agree- I frequently do 600-700 mile trips, and I want to know the condition in advance rather than be surprised a few miles down the road.

Hence the need for some UOAs, since for whatever reason the % remaining feature isn't available on your vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back