Mowing over a yellowjacket nest & being real lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just splashed some water on the flower beds at sunrise and woke up some red wasps in a large plant … have to come see them this evening with some water based cocktail …

I've experienced the same. Either you get stung like crazy or not. I wonder if it's different strains of bees/wasps where some are super aggressive and others are not. I've gone too close to ground bees where they kind of fire warning shots at you by bouncing off of you. Get any closer and it's sting time.

Last nest I came across got a quart of gas poured down it followed by a lit match. It was like a WWI scene with burning planes crashing all over as those little [censored] tried flying through the flames.

Yellow Jackets are annoying, but the red paper wasp stings are what I really dread. I got one caught in my hair once, and that was ... memorable.

A couple of summers ago I got hit on the finger by some kind of blue black wasp type that I haven't seen before, or since, and I've been around for a while. I'm pretty used to being stung or bitten; normally I shrug it off and go on my way, but one sting from this brute almost put me on the ground right then and there. The only thing that kept me on my feet and moving was the primal fear of being hit again by it.

The pain was right there with broken bones and kidney stones, but mercifully only lasted about fifteen minutes. The swelling hung around for more than a day.

Originally Posted by Win
A couple of summers ago I got hit on the finger by some kind of blue black wasp type that I haven't seen before, or since, and I've been around for a while. I'm pretty used to being stung or bitten; normally I shrug it off and go on my way, but one sting from this brute almost put me on the ground right then and there. The only thing that kept me on my feet and moving was the primal fear of being hit again by it.

Probably a mud dauber. Those aren't generally that aggressive, they are more worried about finding prey (not you) than picking a fight. The absolute worst in terms of aggressiveness are the bald-faced hornets, those will go out of their way to sting you. I watched one fly by my wife once and after she lightly shooed it away it turned around and stung her. She wasn't even that close to the thing.

I saw it hanging around later and watched where it went. I took care of that nest and the whole family that was living there.

Working yesterday we were trying to dig up a survey monument buried in the bush. Evidently it was close to a bumblebee nest in the ground and they were flying around keeping an eye on us but didn't appear too [censored] off and didn't try to sting us. I stood watch while my coworker kept digging and watched for impending attack and it never came. Bumblebees seem pretty laid back.

Except the ones in the nest I climbed through as a kid (in a hayloft) they stung me a few times.

Originally Posted by Win
Yellow Jackets are annoying, but the red paper wasp stings are what I really dread. I got one caught in my hair once, and that was ... memorable.

The pain was right there with broken bones and kidney stones, but mercifully only lasted about fifteen minutes. The swelling hung around for more than a day.

Those red ones are mean buggers. Two got me a few years ago on the top of the head.. dad was impressed with the quality of curse words. Those hurt worse than the dozen yellow ones that got me back when I was 15. They were hiding in the clothes line T and I hit it while I was mowing.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
I should have bought a lottery ticket yesterday.
I was out after work giving the grass a badly needed haircut.
I had scoped things out beforehand and thought that everything was clear, which matters since I suffer anaphylactic shock when hit by yellowjackets.
Typically, if you run the mower over a nest, the first notice you get is a burn in an ankle with many more similar burns as the little hornets swarm you in defense of their nest. You abandon the mower and run for the house with a cadre of flying warriors in hot pursuit. Been there and done that a few of times, including my younger years before I was so badly impacted.
Anyway, about half done and sweating like a pig I decided to take a beer break.
I looked back over the area I had already mowed and noted a number of the wee devils flying into and out of the ground.
I had actually mowed right over a nest and the yellowjackets had done nothing at all.
I was both pleased and amazed at my good fortune.
Like I wrote above, I should have bought a lottery ticket.

Let me ask a very serious question here....

Do you have a epi pen ??? More than one in fact available ???

I had a friend of mine who died... At the age of 30... From a wasp sting.... I remember very, very well when he told me about his severe allergic reaction to any bee or wasp sting while in Geography class in 10th grade...

YOU must have a epi pen available... And more than one available to you... On your person while working outside your house... This is not up for debate....

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yep … had one sting my ear … was not hard to count my heartbeat for a while and surely it was 100+

Here is the brave bubba way to get them

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...28C5F4C11AF4562326B&&FORM=VRDGAR

Ain't no wonder why you can't hear a darn thing 4 wd

lol.gif

Of course I have a pen and the scripts are filled with packs of two.
You cannot imagine just how quickly this small dose of epinephrine works.
Still, you're looking at a ride to the hospital and a few hours of being monitored for any relapse, so I'd just as soon avoid getting stung and was very glad to have done so.

My coworker is "possibly" still allergic but hasn't been stung in years (except by a sweat bee the other day which had no effect).

If he gets stung I'll be sprinting back to the truck to grab his epi pen from his bag.

Still, you're looking at a ride to the hospital and a few hours of being monitored for any relapse, so I'd just as soon avoid getting stung and was very glad to have done so.

My wife twice now went through that. They had her in/out in about 1 hr. The first time giving her epinephrine and the 2nd time something more docile.

The crazy part she is a beekeeper and learned this 3 years ago.

Originally Posted by Warstud
I've got two holes in my yard right now. I need to fill it in with dirt.

Originally Posted by Warstud
I've got two holes in my yard right now. I need to fill it in with dirt.

I run a hose into hole and that works well.

Well very, very good....

You didn't mention that in your original post...

Not trying to give you a hard time here... I just want YOU to be ok... And yes I mean that sincerely...

Again... It was very startling to see my friend from high school had died from a wasp sting... At the age of 30....

Terrible circumstance. He was outside of his house cleaning something and got hit... Gone.

Still hard for me to wrap my hands around that deal..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back