Can my Extended Warranty company cancel my policy after paying out over $18,000?

Originally Posted by PetitFrereArmada
I love taking my QX offroading. Every year I take it offroad, people always get surprised. This year, I truly beat it hard again offroading. I just wish I could edit the videos I made and post soon and share it. I have more plans of taking my QX on many more offroading trips which can lead to more things breaking. The only problem is this full time job that I cannot easily take off from or I would love to take this rig more offroading than I have the opportunity to do now.

Once again, you admit to beating the crap out of it. Proud of yourself? The warranty should not have covered your misuse of the vehicle and the resultant suspension damage.

What a tool you must look like taking that thing out where Jeeps belong.

Scott

Well, I am at work now and the dealership just called me to say the Inspector that my Extended Warranty company sent just left the dealership. This is what the dealership just told me about his visit.

The Inspector came and asked to see the car and asked to see the leak since the car was just at the dealership 2 weeks ago for a warranty claim. Inspector took pictures of the car. Took pictures of odometer. Had the dealership put the car on a lift so they can show him the leak so he can examine it. Dealership says the way he was behaving was like he is there to make sure they were not telling a lie about the leak to just write up a false claim.

They put the car on the lift. Inspector took pictures of undercarriage. They showed him the leak and he took pictures of all the oil pan and he examined the leaking seal with gloves on. He made some observations and took pictures. He said my oil pan had a dent in it. He took pictures of the dent. (Well, I am guilty of making the dent during offroading and it was not this year 2019. My car has never leaked till I picked it up last week from the dealership and noticed it is leaking profusely). Inspector made mention of some rust. (Well, my suv is from New York. It does have some rust underneath). He took detailed pictures of everything he looked at.

He made some notes and told the dealership he approves of the leak and that dealership should fix it. Total cost of taking the oil pan apart, cleaning and resealing it. Then do a new oil change and replace with new synthetic oil and filter. Total cost is $247. Warranty will pay it all. But warranty refused to pay for a new filter. Dealership told me that will cost me $8 plus tax. Then I have to pay $100 deductible, which I tried to contest but dealership says I must always pay my deductible even though I picked up my car last week and paid $350!

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
I love taking my QX offroading. Every year I take it offroad, people always get surprised. This year, I truly beat it hard again offroading. I just wish I could edit the videos I made and post soon and share it. I have more plans of taking my QX on many more offroading trips which can lead to more things breaking. The only problem is this full time job that I cannot easily take off from or I would love to take this rig more offroading than I have the opportunity to do now.

Once again, you admit to beating the crap out of it. Proud of yourself? The warranty should not have covered your misuse of the vehicle and the resultant suspension damage.

Scott

You are funny. In 2017 in Ouray, a guy flipped his FJ Cruiser while offroading. He had his wife and a baby (less than 1 year old in a car seat) in the car. The car flipped on its side and fluids leaked. Guess what? His family was not hurt but insurance paid to get the car fixed. So, will you say that to him?

I have seen a few accidents offroad and it was said the insurance would cover it.

I don't know if you have ever been offraoding. There are many brand new vehicles that go offroad on some hardcore trails. trust me, the unfortunate ones who get damaged (and trust me, it does occur) and they have insurance that can fix the things, they do file an insurance or warranty claim to get the things fixed. It was an accident. Nobody takes their car offroading to destroy it. But there is that risk.

Even people who just drive their cars on paved roads to work and the mall only. Your car can still be totaled or you can still wreck it. It is an accident. Nobody intentionally goes and damage their cars. talk to the Jeep guys or anybody with a very well built rig of any make or model who do hardcore trails.

Last edited:

Scott

You are funny. In 2017 in Ouray, a guy flipped his FJ Cruiser while offroading. He had his wife and a baby (less than 1 year old in a car seat) in the car. The car flipped on its side and fluids leaked. Guess what? His family was not hurt but insurance paid to get the car fixed. So, will you say that to him?

I have seen a few accidents offroad and it was said the insurance would cover it.

I don't know if you have ever been offraoding. There are many brand new vehicles that go offroad on some hardcore trails. trust me, the unfortunate ones who get damaged (and trust me, it does occur) and they have insurance that can fix the things, they do file an insurance or warranty claim to get the things fixed. It was an accident. Nobody takes their car offroading to destroy it. But there is that risk.

Even people who just drive their cars on paved roads to work and the mall only. Your car can still be totaled or you can still wreck it. It is an accident. Nobody intentionally goes and damage their cars. talk to the Jeep guys or anybody with a very well built rig of any make or model who do hardcore trails.

So you compare someone off roading in an off road capable FJ to off roading in a QX minivan. That says it all.

Next, you'll complain that your motor blew up because you revved it to 10K RPM - just because Nissan makes the GTR and you're using a K&N filter. Oh wait, your QX has the Nismo package. Sorry!

Scott

OP got you all. No way this story is true!
Trolling.gif

Originally Posted by gathermewool
OP got you all. No way this story is true!
Trolling.gif

I don't know what exactly you mean, but just in case you can read and understand, here is my link of DETAILED MAINTENANCE on my QX. And if you can read it all, you will see for yourself I did not start details about my QX todsay. I started it BEFORE I flew to New York to buy this rig.

My extended warranty has paid about $20,000 to repair my QX. I don't have time for games.

Maintenance thread on my 2012 Infiniti QX56...

And just in case you want to see my road trip blog when I flew to buy this QX and drive 1,200 miles back to Texas, here it is...

Buying my QX in New York and driving 1,200 back to Texas in 2016...

I don't waste my time to tell stories that are not true. Or will you also tell me that I have not taken my suv every year for the last 4 years on a yearly road trip? Or do you mean to tell me I do not have warranty on my suv? I truly do not understand what you said. If you could be specific.

Last edited:
Only an idiott would take a luxury behemoth off-roading - they aren't designed to last past 100K on regular roads. Off-roading takes the mechanical suspension components to their non-speced breaking point.

Keep off-roading that monster

^ They should easily do 250K mi on roads, depending on how you drive and maintain them, but of course any random vehicle may have a few repairs pop up over that span of time, unless it was all highway miles and those are the easiest to rack up.

The warranty company is a bunch of idiots if they didn't put an off-roading disclaimer in the policy. If they did, you are required to mention if your damage is the result of breaching the warranty coverage you seek. It's fraud to knowingly seek a warranty repair you (should) know isn't supposed to be covered. Maybe they don't exclude off-roading, maybe the president of the company loves to off-road and that's why. All that really matters is the terms in your warranty agreement.

You seem to think this vehicle is in such great shape because your warranty paid for so many repairs, but you have it quite backwards. You intend to keep using the the same as you have already, which means you should have every expectation that similar costly repairs will be needed in the future, after your warranty ends.

Perhaps you can extend the warranty. Perhaps they say NO WAY to you and refuse that (lol). If you aren't going to have a warranty much longer than you really need to get an alternate vehicle for offroading, something with less value, less expensive parts, designed to better handle offroading stress, and learn to DIY as many repairs as possible.

As far as your blog goes, GOOD GRIEF! Not only have you seemingly made your life revolve around this vehicle, you have spend more of your own time on it by 10X what it took me to repair my oldest SUV over it's lifetime and have that cost less than your warranty did.

It's become a money pit and a time pit. You need a divorce.
wink.gif

STOP beating his rear over "abuse of the vehicle"

You people do realize these warranty contracts are SCAMS on the consumers. They are rolling dough and I do not feel bad if someone actually can benefit from such.

If the system is rigged in his favor, then USE IT to it's full extent. That is how you get ahead in life. I would have done the same!

Last edited:
Read part of the blog. This boat is a complete money pit. You have a 7 yr old suv that doesn't go 5000 miles without needed a $2,000 dealer repair. Looking at the dealer/warranty papers in the thread I agree with the other posters above, your dealer is taking you warranty company for a ride.
Also can you please stop draining your full synthetic oil at 2k miles?

Yep … beat on my previous Z71 off-road for 8 years … tires and brakes … one set of shocks that were an upgrade more than a repair … No dealership work …
Traded on another …

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL

You people do realize these warranty contracts are SCAMS on the consumers. They are rolling dough and I do not feel bad if someone actually can benefit from such.

If the system is rigged in his favor, then USE IT to it's full extent. That is how you get ahead in life. I would have done the same!

So, beat the crap out of your own vehicle because someone else will pay for the repairs. Makes perfect sense. NOT! I have more respect for my possessions. It pays off in the long run.

Scott

Especially when you roll the cost into the financing like so many do... the finance guy just loves that! He's eating lobster for dinner that night!...‚

Fwiw, Consumer Reports did a survey not long ago and (surprise surprise) of the people who purchased an extended warranty (they're really a "vehicle service contract-VSC), those MOST dissatisfied with the contract were the ones who never used it (55% of contracts are never used)..., they could draw a through line of never having using it to vehicles with the best reliability ratings. Conversely, the group of people most satisfied with their VSC were the ones who used it and had vehicles mfg by the likes like Mercedes, Chrysler etc..

Read your Limitations and Exclusions...no company wants to be on the hook for a perpetual lemon (loss). There's generally some language in there giving them an out.

And they know (some) customers fleece their contract, their fraud prevention tries to catch this...if you're caught (many get away with it but not all do) you or your mechanic are probably going to do some time.

(I would never ask my mechanic to intentionally make up a service.. what if he were to flip on you and report you to the the company's fraud dept?)

Last edited:

Thank you for this comment, especially your first statement.

One thing I have learned on the forums is that if you post about a sensitive topic where some people might have very different opinions about your question, be ready to see positive or very negative comments.

I just appreciate anybody sharing their opinion here; both positive and negative. I consider anything negative as constructive criticism. Life is too good to get stressed over negative comments that is why I do my best to look at any negative comment as a constructive criticism.

We are all adults here and make our own decisions. Some people seek advice on the forums. They take the advice and make the final decision of what to do. The best way to deal with a negative comment on the forum is to avoid to stir it. So, I take it as a constructive criticism and respond mainly to the positive comments while I try to learn what I can from a negative comment but I definitely avoid to respond to it in a negative way to stir it up and have it escalate to people having a war of words on the forum. Not worth it.

We each have our own lives, homes, have our own jobs, pay for our own cars and do whatever we want in our lives. So, that is a good thing.

So no matter what others say on the forum, read it, appreciate it all, respond to the positive ones, learn from both the negative and positive comments and avoid stirring up the negative comments.

Life is good that way. Life is too good. Let us be happy and always positive. We are just here to get along, share things and help each other out. Life is so much easier and peaceful when you smile and say positive things to people. Negative things are ok too some times.

It does not cost money or anything to be nice though, but gives you inner peace and happiness. Spread love, kind words and not hate.

Interesting … so safe to say the chassis did suffer from an off road excursion … but what in your mind just failed on the car because of how it's made … ?

Originally Posted by MaximaGuy
Only an idiott would take a luxury behemoth off-roading - they aren't designed to last past 100K on regular roads. Off-roading takes the mechanical suspension components to their non-speced breaking point.

Keep off-roading that monster

How on earth would you say a SUV like this is not designed to last past 100k on REGULAR roads? You definitely know you are very wrong with that statement.

Your screen name says Maximaguy. So, you may be a Nissan guy. So you must know the Infiniti is also a Nissan AMD you must know about reliability of your Nissan brand, that is why you also have 1.

I also own a Maxima. I bought it brand new in 2008 and have owned it for 11 years and have put exactly 254,000 miles on it, though it just died on me about 3 weeks ago. It has had its own share of little problems, but for all 11 years, I may have spent way less than $5,000 in non regular maintenance things on this car. Honestly, I may have spent like $3,000 or less on non regular maintenance things on my 2008 Nissan Maxima in 11 years.

Knowing my Maxima can last that much on regular roads, I know a luxury Infiniti SUV that the first owner probably paid over $65,000 for, I am sure this SUV can easily last 100k. In fact, using this SUV only on regular roads, I would expect it to last 200k easy. So, I don't know why you would think a SUV like this will never last 100k. I don't understand.

Originally Posted by Saul
Read part of the blog. This boat is a complete money pit. You have a 7 yr old suv that doesn't go 5000 miles without needed a $2,000 dealer repair. Looking at the dealer/warranty papers in the thread I agree with the other posters above, your dealer is taking you warranty company for a ride.
Also can you please stop draining your full synthetic oil at 2k miles?

Yeah, I am truly not happy with this SUV because it has been a complete money pit to me. But I am glad you realized something after looking at the dealership repairs I posted on my maintenance blog.

When I have a problem with my SUV, I take it to the dealership for say problem A. The dealership of course always asks me if I have warranty. I provide them with my warranty information. My dealership will say they will diagnose my problem and call the warranty to see if they will cover it.

They give me a loaner vehicle and I leave the dealership.

Later in the day, the dealership will call me and say problem A that I bought the car to the dealership for will cost so much and the warranty will cover it. Then they go ahead and list like 2 or 3 more problems that they found. Well, that is jot what I took my SUV to the dealership to fix because I did not have any problem with those things. But before I can tell the deale6I am not paying for all that, they always tell me, your warranty will cover it. So, all I say is ok.

This warranty is something that I never wanted. I tell you that they forced this on me especially when it cost me $3,700. I was not happy paying that money when buying this car. But it has truly helped me out.

The first thing my warranty paid for was $2,500 to replace a DVD headrest. That was just crazy amount of money for the dealership to charge.

When I realized my warranty had paid a cumulative total of about $10,000, I was sure by then that I would be dropped! I just felt that was too much money paid out. But yet, each time I take my car for one thing to the dealership, they often just do what they call a courtesy check of the whole car and they will always find something to fix that mysteriously, they always tell me your warranty will cover it. I have no choice bit to say ok. Because I am surprised they are still paying.

I remember when I used to call them to verify if the dealership was telling me the truth that they will cover it and I will not be the one stuck with a bill if the dealership suddenly told me oh we fixed this and they refused to pay.

Now, after my warranty has paid so much, I am scared to even call them for anything for fear that they may just cancel it while I am on the phone with them.

As for your statement about changing my synthetic fluid every 2,000 miles, it was because I just had so much oil from buying oil dirt cheap from deals found by other members on here who shared the links and deals. So, I had so much oil to use. But I will change that. I will be doing the oil change now every 5,000 miles.

So, beat the crap out of your own vehicle because someone else will pay for the repairs. Makes perfect sense. NOT! I have more respect for my possessions. It pays off in the long run.

Scott

I think everybody values the money they paid for their vehicle and so they all value their possessions.

Do you happen to have a 4x4? Have you had the chance to see some truly modified rigs that go offroading? There are some guys who put a lot of money into making their Jeeps or other 4x4s very capable offroad. They beat these 4x4s very well offroad. But I will guarantee you that if you talk to all of those guys, I bet you will find out most of them care for their rigs more than you care about your car or suv.

Just to show you everybody truly cares about their possessions even if some of them take it on some hardcore offroading.

Back