Rental Review - 2019 EcoBoost Mustang

I spent 8 days In Hawaii recently and we rented a "convertible" at the request of my wife. We were given a 4K mile 2.3L EcoBoost Mustang.

1. Interior
All black leather with heated and cooled seats. Climate control. Decent quality seats and materials. There were some fitment issues with the plastic trim inside the convertible top which would not come unclipped partially after lowering and raising the top.
I enjoyed the ventilated seats. Car was comfortable and the wheel was nice. My main complaint is the arm rest area where you would normally put your elbow is so far from the wheel you cannot rest your arm on the center pad or door panel and drive.

2. Exterior
The car looks decent. Wheels shod in pirellis were nice looking and the tires performed well on the mountain and curvy ocean side roads we took.

3. Drivetrain
The car had the EcoBoost 4cyl and the 10speed auto with several modes including track and drag modes.
Just leaving the car in drive the transmission shifted up quickly usually below 2k rpm. Sport mode was the sweet spot keeping the engine in light boost.

The EcoBoost 4 rated @ 310hp 350lbft was a gem in the power department. From 1200RPM to 6k RPM it is strong. Tons of power everywhere.

Putting the car in sport mode and driving semi aggressive leaves you with some abrupt and jerky shifts as the 10speed shifts cogs every second it seems.

Flooring the car in sport mode and the combo is perfect. The power comes on hard at 2k RPM. The trans bangs gears home hard enough to bark the tires going into 2nd and 3rd without the jerkiness felt at half throttle. 0-60 comes quick enough. I'm guessing in the mid 5 second range.

The car isn't super fast, but it will Shame previous 2v and 3v V8 cars from the not so distant past. It has more power everywhere than the previous modular cars.

Manual mode works excellent and provides very rapid up shifts in sport and sport plus modes. I did not try the track or drag modes.

Efficiency:
We averaged about 25mpg over 600mi in the car with a 60/40 hwy/city mix.

Overall impressions:
It's a better mustang than any of the pre 5.0L V8 cars. It's a decent driving car, engine is phenomenal, but a little noisy (DI)
It's a good car to rent, but probably a terrible car to live with. I realized on day 2 why I gave up sports and pony cars as commuters years ago. They are fun until you need to put something in the trunk.
The 10speed needs further refinement for daily use and mildly aggressive driving. It's great at WOT, however.

Next time I'll rent a Jeep Wrangler so I have some room for more beach supplies.

81389DE0-CC67-4783-BD90-B364DC488243.jpeg

Yep I rented a hardtop ecoboost mustang this past year in Florida. Interesting car, I read that ford pumps fake engine noises through the sound system while driving the car.

Also ours had an LED projector system built into the side mirrors, that projected a picture of a pony on the ground next to the car as you opened the door.

Clearly aimed at someone else but me, but i got a chuckle out of those two items.

JustinH,

Ours also had the projection pony as well as the lighting package that allows you to change all the interior and gauge light colors.

I believe they do pump in sound especially at low rpm. You can hear a hum of exhaust. Kinda odd.

Last edited:
Nice review. Good points all around. There are people going crazy over a 4cyl Mustang, but those Ecoboosts do very well.

I agree that I'd never use my GT as a "commuter". Way too many miles of nothing. What a waste.
19.gif

They are deceptively quick. You'd think it would be slow given it's their "economy" trim.

Originally Posted by JustinH
Yep I rented a hardtop ecoboost mustang this past year in Florida. Interesting car, I read that ford pumps fake engine noises through the sound system while driving the car.

Yea, the symposer from the engine into your cabin.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
You do realize that with a simple Turbonetics turbo swap and a tune it can make more power than the GT350R? 4 pistons, 525+ WHP, and no crazy insurance rates. WIN/WIN in my book!

How many minutes of WOT fun before KABOOM?

Did you try the burnout mode? I believe it's the line lock mode in the instrument cluster screen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
You do realize that with a simple Turbonetics turbo swap and a tune it can make more power than the GT350R? 4 pistons, 525+ WHP, and no crazy insurance rates. WIN/WIN in my book!

I doubt anyone but a hardened hot rodder would call the "4 pistons" easy! Not to mention a complete loss of warranty coverage. That's risky on any new car you don't know yet. I know nothing of egoboosts, but I have tuned many a hot car and that setup you describe so succinctly probably needs injectors, some sort of fuel system mod (booster pump, etc.), exhaust, and a host of little things to make that juice!

I reviewed the same car a while back. I also posted a video of the wacky boost pressure at part throttle. What an annoyance to live with.

Originally Posted by joegreen
Did you try the burnout mode? I believe it's the line lock mode in the instrument cluster screen.

I saw the feature, but I didn't try it. No reason to do a burnout IMO. Especially with my wife in the car. I'm thankfully past that stage of doing burnouts on public streets.

That is a nice feature for the drag strip, however. The car is designed and engineered well for its targeted consumer base IMO.

Last edited:
The new 10 speed and ecoboost combo is terrific. I think some magazines have it at 13.5 in the 1/4. My 08 GT ran a best of 13.3 in the 1/4 with a tune and MGW shifter. My guess is an ecoboost with a tune would best that.

The only counterpoint to your review I may have is that... I don't know that its a better "Mustang" than anything pre 5.0 Coyote. Even in my 15' I find myself missing the rawness of my 08. The new Mustangs are very much more refined, and faster in all trims. But they're heavier than ever, and quieter.

I'm not sure about the convertibles for this, but flipping my seats down I can fit my mountain bike in the trunk as I did with my 08. I feel like for a coupe theres plenty of space. But yea if you need more space a Mustang or most coupes won't really cut it.

Things will get pretty spicy when the new performance pack ecoboost engine comes out, with some of the tweaks from the RS. That thing will probably have me looking at superchargers
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Pew
They are deceptively quick. You'd think it would be slow given it's their "economy" trim.

Originally Posted by JustinH

Yea, the symposer from the engine into your cabin.

Yup, mine came with that as well, and I FULLY deleted it as soon as I got the new car home from the dealership.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by donnyj08
It's a good car to rent, but probably a terrible car to live with. I realized on day 2 why I gave up sports and pony cars as commuters years ago. They are fun until you need to put something in the trunk.

Blame that on the convertible. The regular coupe has a usable trunk. Seats fold down and it has decent space. You're not going to fit a huge TV in there or lots of big stuff but for day to day use it's good enough. I DD mine in the spring, summer, fall and it's great for 1 or 2 people.

I've spoken to guys that have this same transmission in their Ford and Chevy trucks, and apparently the behavior is quite different than in the Mustang. I've always thought this transmission isn't happy unless you're driving 9/10ths. It's jerky around town, and can even be a bit indecisive at highway speeds when you have to slow down, and then accelerate back up to highway speed. Not the best convertible top in the world, but LIGHT YEARS ahead of the unit they put on the Camaro. I find myself amazed at the power it's putting out down low in the rev range. The transmission works overtime keeping the rpms low when in "D", unless you're really into the go pedal, but it still pulls hard from 2,000.

I've never heard a good-sounding 4 cylinder, regardless of the exhaust system installed. Try as the owners might, they just sound like flatulence to me. But "good" is subjective.

V8s make music. 4-bangers make noise. I actually bought my first Mustang (2017 V6) because it sounded so much better than the '17 Ecoboost sitting next to it when the salesperson fired them both up with remote start. Pretty nice sounding 6. Hindsight says I shoulda kept it.

Flooring the car in sport mode and the combo is perfect. The power comes on hard at 2k RPM. The trans bangs gears home hard enough to bark the tires going into 2nd and 3rd without the jerkiness felt at half throttle. 0-60 comes quick enough.
This why some people here say not to buy ex rentals? :ROFLMAO:

Back