Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0w30 - alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to use this oil in the winter (and Esso xd-3 0w30 before that) as I often experience a week of -30C/-22F mornings and I can't always plug in a block heater.
I'm noticing though that it doesn't seem to exist anywhere this year.

What would be a good 30 weight full synthetic alternative for frigid morning starts?

Thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
It's at Canadian Tire usually??

Yeah that's where I used to get it, but the only weight they have on their website for that line is a weird 0w16 which is also out of stock in all stores.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Amsoil make a fantastic 0w-30...and I hear in Canada it's less expensive than M1.

Naw, it's not cheaper when you can get the big jugs at CT on sale for just over $30.00. Regular price would put them pretty close.

Originally Posted by DizzyEdge
I used to use this oil in the winter (and Esso xd-3 0w30 before that) as I often experience a week of -30C/-22F mornings and I can't always plug in a block heater.
I'm noticing though that it doesn't seem to exist anywhere this year.

What would be a good 30 weight full synthetic alternative for frigid morning starts?

Thanks

Walmart has it still for 22.98USD

Yes they still make it

Last edited:
All 5W30s have to meet a CCS (cold cranking) spec of 6600 cP at -30C, but there can be a lot of variability in test results at that temp.
QSUD beats the spec by a handy margin at 3800 cP and my memory is that M1 vanilla is close to that at 4000 cP. I think PP 5W30 is just a bit higher than that, maybe 4400cP?
On the other hand, Valvoline only tells us that AFS 5W30 is less than 6000 cP at -30C and I believe Castrol Edge is similar in just beating the spec.

Since I ski in the Whites quite often and we can see overnight temps down towards -30F (-34C), if I'm not running a 0W30 I prefer to pick a 5W30 with better results in the CCS test. Probably not overly meaningful, but I like to feel I have a little extra edge just in case of really cold temps.
I actually have a jug of 0W30 AFE ready to go for this winter!

Originally Posted by DizzyEdge
I (and Esso xd-3 0w30 before that)

I loved that oil. I know it isnt the be all and end all but the best UOAs I got on a particular vehicle was with this oil.

(I think Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0W-30 is the same but I have never bought it)

Crawford Notch sometime around 1995 I had an 89 Chevy Blazer. Hiked 1/2up Jackson set up camp and then went to summit. Returned and was frozen. Lit stove had tea and saw temp gauge reading high negative 20's. I was solo camping and just packed up like a banshee (just strapped tent to my bag no folfind) and made it to the Blazer.

Never heard a car crank like that ever. Credit to the Sears battery at the time. That was cheap dinosaur oil then. I'd think with today's oils your fine if you let it warm up. I'd worry about your battery more.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
Crawford Notch sometime around 1995 I had an 89 Chevy Blazer. Hiked 1/2up Jackson set up camp and then went to summit. Returned and was frozen. Lit stove had tea and saw temp gauge reading high negative 20's. I was solo camping and just packed up like a banshee (just strapped tent to my bag no folfind) and made it to the Blazer.
Never heard a car crank like that ever. Credit to the Sears battery at the time. That was cheap dinosaur oil then. I'd think with today's oils your fine if you let it warm up. I'd worry about your battery more.

Yeah, you should have bought that battery a beer!

Or maybe a shot of sulfuric acid... ;^)

Great story!

IIRC, Sears batteries are top quality. For what it's worth I think people overthink batteries. I live in a place where negative 20s are a regular occurrence over the winter, I park outside and I've never really had problems with batteries.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster

IIRC, Sears batteries are top quality. For what it's worth I think people overthink batteries. I live in a place where negative 20s are a regular occurrence over the winter, I park outside and I've never really had problems with batteries.

Problem with that is all their local stores have closed. I've had a lot of Die Hard batteries over the years and they all outlasted their warranty.

Yep … our Sears home store does not fool with Diehard batteries … just appliances and mowers … would have had to order one for my Craftsman lawn tractor … so just went to car parts house …

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Problem with that is all their local stores have closed. I've had a lot of Die Hard batteries over the years and they all outlasted their warranty.

Dad swore by DieHard batteries and he used to drive all over the Midwest for work in all seasons...I do have to say that the Sears brand tires I bought for my first car were pretty awful, wore like rocks but also drove like rocks.

Most of my clothes when I was a boy came from Sears...I certainly was not Mr. Fashionable, but they were durable. How things have changed!
(usually bought shoes at Wards, though)

I hiked over there in 94... but it was in the summer. ;-) I remember hiking in my shorts on Mt. Washington on Sept 4th in a hail storm.

You get some nasty frozen weather up there for sure.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Dad swore by DieHard batteries and he used to drive all over the Midwest for work in all seasons...I do have to say that the Sears brand tires I bought for my first car were pretty awful, wore like rocks but also drove like rocks.

Most of my clothes when I was a boy came from Sears...I certainly was not Mr. Fashionable, but they were durable. How things have changed!
(usually bought shoes at Wards, though)

Cloths from Sears.... shoes from Wards. That is a real "walked up hill to school both ways" story there.

I find Costco batteries are decent. They are just Interstate but they sell enough that they don't sit on the shelf for months. I always check dates on batteries before a purchase.

Interesting how this went from a "0w30 alternatives?" discussion to a battery discussion. After recently discovering CostCo's crazy deals on Interstates, that will be my battery of choice as long as I have a CostCo card and as long as those batteries satisfy my vehicle requirements. Can't believe I spent $130 on an ACDelco battery last year...
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back