Valvoline ADV 0W20 Synthetic, 9198mi,17 Subaru Crosstrek, 52665

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went way past the usual OCI of 6-7K with this new formula Valvoline Advanced 0w20. I added approx. 8oz of Magnatec 5W20 at about 7K into the interval. No Noted usage as only 5qts were installed at the onset (underfill). Oil was changed at this sampling to Castrol Magnetec 5W20. Driving is 80% highway work commute about 40 miles one way. New England Spring thru Summer season
for this OC interval.
While I figure out how to upload the PDF into a table, here is a photo of the PDF with personal info back brushed.

Enjoy and Have at it.

- Ken
-
[Linked Image]

Looks really good. This seems to be a moly lite oil.
The question one might ask is whether Subaru recommends a 6K OCI in an effort to reduce timing chain wear, particularly since the in the earlier years of this engine a 7.5K interval was recommended and these guys do have some long timing chains.
This does look like a very clean UOA especially considering the 9K run.

I'm guessing it was due to high oil usage on some models. But that's just a guess.
It;s not a "green thing" like Subaru seems to be branded as.

Last edited:
Wow, Arco, nice! My mom's '18 Forester is about 1000 miles away from the 6k OCI (under warranty) and is running RGT 0W-20 and a NG 7055. I hope her results are this good, and moly should be higher. IMHO you could have probably gone 12k and still had a report that looked that good. Thanks for the UOA!

You probably could have easily hit 10 or 12k before the TBN became an issue (even with slight FD)..but why press things, right? Looks like you got your money's worth out of this lube..Nice report ðŸ‘

Has this lube always had these levels of Mo, Ti and B? I like to see use of all of them... looks like a quality add pk. (gobs of Ca too!)

Last edited:
I was surprised too - Stunned actually.
The engine had been running a bit "lumpy" under load, It has one really noisy injector, and the timing chain noise is terrible on startup. Also I got this sample at the "dirty" end of the oil stream.
I tried this new Valvoline Advanced synthetic because when I used the 5W30 version in my Nissan Rogue last year it ran better than ever and the OA I saw on here looked impressive and drew me toward it.. The engine also like the added Magnetec 5W20- it seem to smooth out . Maybe that was just the extra oil.
I have always underfill subaru EJ2.5 in the past to prevent excess oil usage, but in this case it was convenient to just put the 5Q jug into a 5.3qt sump and ignore the little bit extra to get the oil to the top line on the dipstick.

I don't recall reading that the 2.0 liter FB motor had consumption issues in the past - only the 2.5 The FB has moly coated piston skirts so it doesn't need any more Moly for piston cocking. I guess "good show" to Valvoline on this new formulation.

Maybe I'll do an analysis on the current Magnetec 5w20 in there If I do the next OCI myself.- But i have a feeling the Dealer may be doing that one.
IDK We'll see.

Thanks for the feedback.

- Ken

This is one of the better UOA's I've seen lately. ACRO, do you plan on trying different brands or eventually sticking with Valvoline or Castrol?

Wally was out of Valvoline Advanced on my shopping day and I wasn't in the mood to drive anywhere else.

So I grabbed some 5W20 Magnatec.

I hope the UOA data is not a fluke. No reason for it to look that good. Even the insol % was way low. But the wife doesn't idle the car at all - for start up or shut down - and she does a lot of high speed highway (75mph) so ....

But, the used oil did look good as I was draining it. I said to myself, "This doesn't look too bad, probably could go another 2K easy".

Wife's car, she pays for it. So It more of a "throw whatever" at it.

I would garb a jug of the 5W30 Advanced and put it on deck in YOUR stash
wink.gif

Last edited:
Wife's car, she pays for it. So It more of a "throw whatever" at it.

crackmeup2.gif
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

wink.gif

5/30's in my wheelhouse..now all I need is for Valvoline to run some rebates ...‚.. what was the filter you used for this run??

Once again, nice UOA.. doesn't get much better than that at 9k+ miles IMO.ðŸ‘

Last edited:
I'm guessing it was due to high oil usage on some models. But that's just a guess.
It;s not a "green thing" like Subaru seems to be branded as.

You may be right, although our '17 does have a low oil indicator light to avert the danger of the driver running the engine with low oil, which seems a sensible addition for any car.
I'll note that our '17 has had nil observed consumption to date.
It'll get its 30K drain this afternoon as long as the weather remains dry.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

wink.gif

5/30's in my wheelhouse..now all I need is for Valvoline to run some rebates ...‚.. what was the filter you used for this run??

Once again, nice UOA.. doesn't get much better than that at 9k+ miles IMO.ðŸ‘

Run the Subaru "Blue Fram" which I would say is a Toughguard equivalent. but no Si adbv.

The car doesn't run as well as the UOA shows with terrible timing chain racket on starup, and lumpy running when you step on it.

I'm Puzzled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back