calipers for my pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the front brakes done by an Indy shop I use all the time. I supplied pads and rotors unaware I would need calipers. Well I had a vague idea actually.

The 2 calipers were $300. Not including labor. I could not find any calipers anywhere close to that price. Maybe Ford new ones are. These were reman.

I could have gotten some nice coated calipers for a lot less than $300.

I thought most shops got a discount on the parts, charged people the normal price and their profit was the labor and discount amount?

While a small discount is received, depending on supplier, it's not what most people think it is. Ours was typically 20% under list price. If a caliper listed for $120, my price would be $96. I would then charge a 35% (IIRC) markup so you'd be looking at $129.6 per caliper. Not too far off the price you paid.

Yes most profit is from labor, but parts certainly aren't sold at a break even price.

When I try to gauge Indy mechanic parts costs I usually just go with the RA price in comparison to the AZ or Advance price to get an idea of the differential and assume the Indy is getting close to the RA price from his local warehouse.

For your application, RA is at $95+ core each for a Raybestos coated.
Advance is at $115+ core each for uncoated house brand.

So yes, I think you got charged to the high side at $300 in parts.

why does a car so new already need new calipers?
crazy2.gif

Super Dutys seem to go through calipers. They either from the piston seals, have the pistons seize in the bores, or break off the bleeder. There were so many made that it is usually cheaper, when labor is included, to replace than try to fix the old ones.

Some calipers just seem to be more prone to rust around the piston especially in the rust belt, on these changing the brake fluid more often and using a membrane product on the back of the inboard pad seems to really help. Pop the bleeder and use some never seize on the threads only (not the taper) and you should be good till the next brake job.

The membrane not only prevents noise but seals the piston boot at where it meets the piston, it is harmless to the EPDM rubber and will not wash out. You can use it on shims also, coat the whole back of the pad that comes in contact with the piston.

https://www.crcindustries.com/products/disc-brake-quiet-4-fl-oz-05016.html

slacktide_bitog said:
why does a car so new already need new calipers?
crazy2.gif
[/quote

That was basically my fault. I waited a little too long to get the brakes done. The caliper was damaged.

I wish I knew and I would have bought some nice coated calipers and supplied them.

RA has Centric calipers for ~$47 each, not including cores. My price on them would probably be $75 per, just guessing. Normal markup of 2.273 would give you a per-caliper price of $170.48, or $340.95 for the pair. Plus tax, call it $360. You did alright.

Centric calipers are what I sell, My cost is 79 a piece and we would sell them for 131 and change. Yes, we mark up parts. My labor rate pays for the time I am in the shop working on the vehicle. Parts markup pays for the time I am in the office doing paperwork, sourcing and ordering parts, and pays the labor should I have to warranty the part.

Summit Racing has the Raybestos Opti-Cal for about $100. Amazon and Rock Auto don't have the front ones for your Super Duty in stock

Have you considered having them restored? Goldline Brakes and PMB Performance have given me excellent service.

Sam

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 14Accent
RA has Centric calipers for ~$47 each, not including cores. My price on them would probably be $75 per, just guessing. Normal markup of 2.273 would give you a per-caliper price of $170.48, or $340.95 for the pair. Plus tax, call it $360. You did alright.

Ok, that explains. A lot more than just the discount the shop gets.

How do you price things when someone brings in parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back