Recommend a drill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife gave me a nice B&D LDX112 12V Lithium cordless drill several years ago, it's nice but go figure, it gets a bit slow when driving screws that are longer than about 2". Was working on a project last night with screws like that so I pulled out my corded 3/8" Craftsman and it ran the screws no problem. Right up until the switch died... Quick look and the switch is either NLA or not the same. Doah!

I'm tempted to get this Ryobi as it's, well, cheap. It looks like it lacks the metal construction of my last drill, and more importantly the auxiliary handle, but I didn't use that handle that much in the past. And solid metal construction doesn't mean it'll last.

Most of the time I'm just zipping in long screws with this, well, like once a year sort of usage. I don't think I need a 1/2" chuck. My old drill felt a bit slow at 1,200 rpm and for power was 3 amp; this one is 1,600 rpm and 5.5 amp. I'm thinking this will feel like a step up.

I don't think I want a cordless driver. A small light one is great, but for my light usage i don't want to spend a lot of money, use ten times, then toss because the batteries are NLA.

A Ryobi would be fine. Milwaukee M18 Fuel is better but more $$. For many people the best way to think is about their entire cordless too set. How many tools can use same battery? So I have many Milwaukee M18 tools. But if all you need is a drill/driver, then Ryobi is fine. Lifetime battery I think if you register it properly.

If you need a cordless, get at least 18V tool as supposed to 12V.
The regular corded tool will always be stronger than any cordless.

As far as brand, get any good brand that you like in your budget range.

If your B&D drill still works fine as a drill, why not get the B&D driver that takes your B&D batteries?

Ryobi has been making the same battery connection on all there tools for 15 years or something. There will always be a battery that works with the tool. Even their really old nicd battery tools accept the new lithium batteries they make.

Bosch recon are very good, they are usually buyer remorse returns but every tool goes through a full inspection by Bosch themselves not some authorized recon house.
I have a few and every one was like brand new. Highly recommended.

https://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-reconditioned-bosch-1006vsr-rt-3-8-in--6-3-amp-drill/bshr1006vsr-rt,default,pd.html

Originally Posted by Leo99
If your B&D drill still works fine as a drill, why not get the B&D driver that takes your B&D batteries?

12V batteries? I only have two, and while I'm sure I'll find the charger (recent move) I'm not sure two will run all day.

Originally Posted by Trav
Bosch recon are very good, they are usually buyer remorse returns but every tool goes through a full inspection by Bosch themselves not some authorized recon house.
I have a few and every one was like brand new. Highly recommended.

https://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-reconditioned-bosch-1006vsr-rt-3-8-in--6-3-amp-drill/bshr1006vsr-rt,default,pd.html

Good find! but it's lacking in some very basic modern day amenities I'm afraid.
[Linked Image]

I have a cordless 1/2" drive Ryobi that works great. I have driven long lag bolts with zero problems. I can imagine the corded unit will serve you just fine.

Originally Posted by Trav
Well that puts an end to that I'm afraid. Sorry I thought it would do the job on its own with no user input.
lol.gif

Yeah, I had to chuckle. Wife's new washer does have WiFi, I think it's so that you can load it and then decide to run it when you know you will be home. Or get a notification when it's done, in case you can't hear it playing music (no joke, it plays a tune when done).

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
I have a cordless 1/2" drive Ryobi that works great. I have driven long lag bolts with zero problems. I can imagine the corded unit will serve you just fine.

That's what I'm thinking, I love cordless but I like lightweight ones--bigger projects can use bigger tools, but battery maintenance is not what I like.

Just realized, the chuck key seems to have gone away. I guess my old drill was that old.

Originally Posted by XCIDMigs
HF stuff is getting pretty good and they now have several lines of tools that have interchanging batteries, like this...
https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-h...it-64754.html?_br_psugg_q=cordless+drill

I have a 4 year old "Chicago Electric", (Harbor Freight's el cheapo 18 volt model), that is still working fine. The previous owner of our house installed a work bench in the garage that was taking up way too much room, so I removed it.

The guy went nuts with 3" drywall screws into the studs. They were all tight as could be. That drill removed over 40 of them as fast as I could go. My wife asked me why I was trying to break them loose by hand? I told her I didn't think the drill had enough power to remove them from scratch.... I was wrong.

When I was finished it recharged the battery in less than half an hour. The power of that thing really impressed me. I can't imagine how much torque some of their newer models have. When this thing finally gives up the ghost, I'll by another from Harbor Freight as fast as I can drive there.

This doesn't really answer your question, but if you're looking at a cordless drill in addition to the corded, I'd suggest getting a combo kit that has an impact driver. The impact driver is absolutely the way to go for driving screws. I've even driven long hex lag screws with a 1/4" hex to 3/8" square socket adapter.

bauer or Hercules at harbor freight....I have had the hercules drill/driver for almost 2 years now...use it on the job as well at home never gave me any trouble and extra batteries are reasonable...my brother in law has the bauer line and swears by it...just my 2 cents, bauer is a little less than hercules

I like M12 fuel for size/power, but there are tons of nice things out there.

I was using my m12-not fuel impact driver but its pretty weaksauce for 3.5" long 5/16" lagbolts.

So I broke out the bosch "4 pole brushed" impact driver (1500 Inch/lb)its not as strong as the equally rated porter cable I had but I will only put up with so many different batteries..
(gave the porter cable away) That made pretty quick work of the lagbolts..

my next option up was the m12 fuel stubby impact wrench.

For driving long screws you either need an 18v decent drill or an impact driver(any).. problem with impact driver is its pretty easy to strip smaller screws.. so I usually end up with the drill unless its deck screw size that are not going to strip.

I have the Ridgid drill and driver largely because of the Lifetime Service Agreement which basically warrants the tool AND BATTERIES for life. I have used the agreement to replace batteries. Very happy with the service agreement. I will definitely continue to buy Ridgid as a result.

Porter Cable from Lowes has been very good for me. But Ridgid with the lifetime warranty is even better due to the warranty. Makita is top notch. The drivers are almost too strong it's easy to over power the screw. A driver will back out and install screws where a drill won't. A set with each is good to have. Ryobi large sets are the best bargain. From experience, have them all due to sales. Saves changing bits and drills back and forth to have more sets.

Originally Posted by Donald
A Ryobi would be fine. Milwaukee M18 Fuel is better but more $$. For many people the best way to think is about their entire cordless too set. How many tools can use same battery? So I have many Milwaukee M18 tools. But if all you need is a drill/driver, then Ryobi is fine. Lifetime battery I think if you register it properly.

Ryobi doesn't do lifetime warranty on their batteries, I think it's just 3 years on the batteries. The good thing is that with Lithium ion batteries, they last a long longer than their old Nicad batteries did. Haven't actually had one die on me yet.

Best time to get a Ryobi drill is around black friday. They usually have some combo deal. Sometimes around $60 for the drill, battery and charger. They give you the basic light battery which is good and bad, it's light so it's not that heavy to use, but it has the lowest amp hour rating. I think the drill and impact is usually in the $100-$120 range. I have the impact also, but I don't use it that much, I find that the basic 18v drill is fine for everything.

HD has deals all the time on combo kits.

I got an impact driver, drill, flashlight, circular saw, reciprocating saw, miter saw, two batteries, and charger for $279, and the 1/2 impact w/ additional battery for free with the purchase.

Can't beat that for a home gamer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back