Old man thinking about Honda civic SI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Civic Si is a great car! if you want it, go for it and enjoy.

If not set on the Si...

GTi
GLi
Elantra Sport
Mazda3
Forte GT
Golf 1.4TSi
Sentra Turbo

Originally Posted by odotb
I am an old guy, 70 this month, but I want something that is fun to drive and not so expensive. I have been thinking about a Civic coupe SI with a manual trans. ..... Thanks.

FWD is not a sports car.Its absolutely Wrong Wheel Drive.

The Hot hatch is not the Civic but the Veloster N right now - but I would prefer naturally aspirated here.

I say off lease or well cared for BMW M roadster with a manual.

My '98 was the best spots car experience and that includes the E-type Jag, Porsche 944,
Miata, Porsche 911, MG-B.

If i'm not sliding from one side of the on-ramp to the other getting on the interstate I'm going too slow.

When frisky I drive 10/10ths. I'm just a couple years behind you in age.

[Linked Image]

I think you should decide if you want to go to a track occasionally or not first.
That'll help you decide where to draw the line on the tradeoffs between comfort and fun.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by odotb
I am an old guy, 70 this month, but I want something that is fun to drive and not so expensive. I have been thinking about a Civic coupe SI with a manual trans. ..... Thanks.

FWD is not a sports car.Its absolutely Wrong Wheel Drive.

The Hot hatch is not the Civic but the Veloster N right now - but I would prefer naturally aspirated here.

I say off lease or well cared for BMW M roadster with a manual.

My '98 was the best spots car experience and that includes the E-type Jag, Porsche 944,
Miata, Porsche 911, MG-B.

If i'm not sliding from one side of the on-ramp to the other getting on the interstate I'm going too slow.

When frisky I drive 10/10ths. I'm just a couple years behind you in age.

[Linked Image]

So you knock FWD, and then talk about the Veloster N and post a picture of it? Huh?

Originally Posted by atikovi
Why not get the R-type if you really want to have some fun, and can find one.

He lives in GA. One pothole and those need a new rim. 35 series tires. Very unforgiving.

Originally Posted by Ws6

So you knock FWD, and then talk about the Veloster N and post a picture of it? Huh?

He seemed bent on a hot hatch so I was giving options.

If you are bent on a Honda, your N/A prev gen civic Si with the 2.4L is a good rec.

Any other complaints?

Originally Posted by atikovi
Helll of a lot more potholes up north where the road freezes and thaws. Basing a car buying decision on potholes is bizarre.

Not if you don't want to be on the side of the road once a month with a $175 dollar tire gone. I didnt really believe it either But 15 years ago on my Zuki SX, I went to 50 series Falken Zeix (that actually measured as 35 aspect) and they were constantly blowing out on those sneaky potholes.

Missed an important board meeting at our tech startup one morning.

Originally Posted by glock19
Originally Posted by Donald
Subaru Crosstrek is a fun car to drive also.

How exactly?

+1
I agree with OP, the Civic in ANY flavor is an awesome choice (as long as it's manual).
There's just something about the feel of the shifter, ergonomics and power train that all fit together succinctly.

No other manufacturer does it quite as well.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by FA_WRX
I say nothing wrong with a Si. Seventy years old is just a number. You might also consider a WRX 6MT. They get about 30 MPG and are fun to drive. Although they might not be so popular down south.

That would be my choice.

Go for it! The Si is a sweet car!! Lots of bang for the buck,plus you don't see them everywhere,which makes them even more appealing.

There's also the 370Z which I'd love to have.

Go test drive what you want and make sure you can get in and out of it without difficulty. To me that is the big thing for someone in their 70's. And I say this as someone turning 72 this month. Then go for it.

Given that you said you are turning 70 (I am 53) I would recommend driving a car that small before buying it (if you haven't already)--renting one perhaps for a bit? I have driven Toyota Corollas all my life, until I had a 98 Civic hatchback for the last 13 years. I loved having that thing, but a year or two ago I got diagnosed with a mild case of arthritis, and had a foot problem that made getting in and out of that car rather painful. When it got stolen, I decided no more subcompacts for me, and started looking for a CR-V before the Highlander dropped into my lap.

Apart from the reliability which was awesome (apart from lift supports, the previous non-maintenance item done on the Civic was in 2013), I loved being able to change the spark plug by simply removing the wires.I put some iridiums on a few months before it got stolen.
mad.gif
I have no idea if it is that easy on the newer models, though.

The new Civic will use a 2.0L NA engine or a variant of Honda's new turbo 1.5/2.0L four. The EX-T, Touring and Si use the same base engine, the CTR uses the 2.0L version. Both engines are also offered in the new Accord.

Go for the Si, but if you want something a bit more sensible, I'd look at an EX-T or Touring hatchback. It might not have the same chassis tweaks or LSD as the Si.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
They can be pretty expensive to insure. Personally, if I really wanted a Honda, a V6, manual Accord coupe would be my choice.

Except that they don't exist anymore except on the used market. Sad that the J-Series has come to an end in Honda cars, although they carry on in the SUV/Van/Truck and Acura's.

As for a small car. My FIL bought his grandaughter (my stepkid) a brand new 2019 Civic for her b-day (Don't get me started, Both her mother and I were opposed, but he's footing all the bills for it) and it has been getting parked in the garage next to my TL. That Civic is every big as big as that older Acura. I keep meaning to look up the specs to see if it really is or if it just looks like it, but side by side it certainly looks every bit as big.

Edit: Yep, the new Civic is within a few inches of a 2008 TL, which was a midsize car back in the day.

TL v Civic.jpg

Last edited:
The previous gen Civic Si, like any other naturally aspirated four banger, has no low end torque! You have to rev the [censored] out of it/beat on it to get it to go - no thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back