Magnatec 10w-30 vs M1 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys, im new to this site and im fond of the general conversations that are on this site. The curious Noob in me has me thinking on which oil would be the safest for my application. i drive 2004 Pontiac GTO, it has a mild cam 224R 112LSA, I decided to go with this cam since im a bit power hungry but my goal was to improve the low end torque for daily driving since my GTO is a fat pig and it drives real nice. I live in the Chicago area and it can get pretty much 1 of everything tempature wise, but i only drive it after the weather is 32 degrees or above. It gets stored in the winter. I have heard of Magnatec being very promising for a 10w-30 since that viscosity is recommended by the manual for hot days, but i have also heard that mobile 1 0w-40 euro formula is also a not bad choice? Since apparently LS1s like thick oil. I would almost always go with whats safest for my engine as my goat gets very mild Spirited driven(never redline ‹5,400 rpm or less). Currently it has AC Delco 5w-30, the Dexos1 gen 2 version, would also wamt you're guy's thoughts on the AC Delco since i can get it pretty cheap for about 22bucks for 6 quarts. I know i said safest but im not willing to spend alot like royal purple for example. Im also on 5.3 heads if that helps.
wink.gif

Under your circumstances you would be good with either. My preference is the Magnatec in your specific application.

Neither.

MOTUL8100 X-Max 5w30. MB229.5x / VW 505

Real engine requires real synthetic. Period.

And if you drive under 5K / year you can and SHOULD leave it in for 2 seasons.

I did NOT find the 5w30 Magnatec to be a good cold weather oil in my 170HP DOHC 4 banger.

But if its parked from December to April that doesn't really matter in your situation.

Have fun with that Goat!

Either would work but I'd likely spend the extra money on Edge 5w30 EP.

I have thought about edge too, but if so i would go with 0w-40 mobile 1 instead. is edge better or just a good bang for the buck?

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Neither.

MOTUL8100 X-Max 5w30. MB229.5x / VW 505

Real engine requires real synthetic. Period.

And if you drive under 5K / year you can and SHOULD leave it in for 2 seasons.

I did NOT find the 5w30 Magnatec to be a good cold weather oil in my 170HP DOHC 4 banger.

But if its parked from December to April that doesn't really matter in your situation.

Have fun with that Goat!

that motul looks yammy,always was a motul fan,will i have any benefit using it instead of my current magnatec for a dd stock boring n.a engine mazda cx5?

I presume the manufacturer recommended oil for your car is 5W30. Using 10W30 is fine, but it will crank slower in the winter and take longer to reach the bearings. But at operating temperature, 30 is 30.

Now about the Mobil 1 0W40. Certainly, synthetic oil is better in every way. But why 40? Does your car run hotter than normal? Is the engine worn with bigger clearances getting less oil pressure? Do you race the car often? If none of that applies, you should use the viscosity recommended for your engine.

Personally, I've been using synthetic 0W30(currently Mobil 1) for decades in my '85 Camaro and now my '05 Magnum SXT.

I do have 76k miles. And i have a 25% underpulley, so for Daiy driving it does get a tad bit hotter during traffic lights

Isn't m1 5w30 on the thin side? Thats a reason why i would consider the 40

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Checo04
Care to elaborate? You mean the extended performance?

He is referring to LS1Mike who uses M1 in his vehicles

I vote m1 0w40 also as OVERKILL and garak have educated me on this
smile.gif

buster, You must be liking that Edge!

Meh...figured I'd try something different for a change. I like all the major formulations. No issues with any of them.

Can never go wrong with Mobil 1 and their 0w40.

Originally Posted by buster
buster, You must be liking that Edge!

Meh...figured I'd try something different for a change. I like all the major formulations. No issues with any of them.

Can never go wrong with Mobil 1 and their 0w40.

Did you try the Valvoline Advanced yet? - it runs as good as the VOA reads.
Check out My UOA on the wife's impreza I just posted.
It's pretty imprezing
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back