Tesla vs Porsche...

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Almost $100k more, almost 100 miles lees on a charge, no charging network, heavier, slower. Yup Tesla killer is here.
lol.gif

How about both racing a Corolla from L.A. to Salt Lake City? And give them both a 1 hour head start.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Taycan vs Model S

Gonna be fun.
Heck, our Model 3 was expensive enough. Sheesh.

The Taycan is gorgeous. The Model 3 has been around for awhile...
Model 3 needs a refresh. Over 400 mile range... A $185K Porsche killer!
Nice to see some competition.

Tesla is junk. Porsche knows how to actually build a car. Elon has had more time to figure out how to do the electric drive part, but Porsche has decades on figuring out how not to make a junk vehicle. Hard pass on both vehicles, from me, for the time being, but in 5 years? Well, I bet Porsche figures out EV way sooner than Elon figures out how to make a car.

Not sure where the junk part comes from. The Tesla sale numbers are obliterating everything in the luxury market. I would think these people that moved from Mercedes, Jaguars, BMWs etc. would would not put up with junk simply to drive electric. There is lots of room for improvement for sure though.

Why do so many people conflate sales numbers with quality/reliability? I'm not calling Tesla junk although I've read about lots of issues with them - my point is lots of junk cars sell well.

Look deeper into that Porsche before condemning it severely. It has several good features.

Most notable is a balanced performance envelope. More emphasis on the all around aspects of performance which include far more than the ability to snap heads back at a light.

It also has a beautiful shape!

Easy vote for the Porsche.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Look deeper into that Porsche before condemning it severely. It has several good features.

Most notable is a balanced performance envelope. More emphasis on the all around aspects of performance which include far more than the ability to snap heads back at a light.

The Taycan is an incredible achievement; an incredible car. No doubt. Years in the making...
While it falls short of the much older Model S (at $80K more) in many numerical categories (especially range), it's owners probably don't care.
There is no Supercharging network; again, owners may not care.

By the way, Teslas are incredibly balanced cars.
The Taycan is about as heavy as the Model X; much heavier than the S.

My point is, the 2020 Taycan is certainly not drastically better than a 2013 Model S.
The vaunted "Tesla killer" it is not.
This is somewhat surprising, given Porsche's considerable knowledge, skills and abilities.
But the Taycan is a worthy adversary to any 4 door sedan at any price.

Tesla is a great lease and throwaway in 5-7 years. Like a smartphone. Porsche is a lease or longer term ownership you can trust and buy.

I think the Tesla looks are hideous but obviously it appeals.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8

The Taycan is an incredible achievement; an incredible car. No doubt. Years in the making...
While it falls short of the much older Model S (at $80K more) in many numerical categories (especially range), it's owners probably don't care.
There is no Supercharging network; again, owners may not care.

By the way, Teslas are incredibly balanced cars.
The Taycan is about as heavy as the Model X; much heavier than the S.

My point is, the 2020 Taycan is certainly not drastically better than a 2013 Model S.
The vaunted "Tesla killer" it is not.
This is somewhat surprising, given Porsche's considerable knowledge, skills and abilities.
But the Taycan is a worthy adversary to any 4 door sedan at any price.

It doesn't need to be a "Tesla-killer" on paper.

It's a Porsche, and that's enough.

Almost $100k more, almost 100 miles lees on a charge, no charging network, heavier, slower. Yup Tesla killer is here.
lol.gif

Well, unlike Tesla, Porsche actually has to make money on their vehicle sales.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
lol.gif

Last I read, Porsche makes over $17,000 per vehicle sold.

How about Tesla?

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Originally Posted by Ws6
Taycan vs Model S

Gonna be fun.
Heck, our Model 3 was expensive enough. Sheesh.

The Taycan is gorgeous. The Model 3 has been around for awhile...
Model 3 needs a refresh. Over 400 mile range... A $185K Porsche killer!
Nice to see some competition.

Tesla is junk. Porsche knows how to actually build a car. Elon has had more time to figure out how to do the electric drive part, but Porsche has decades on figuring out how not to make a junk vehicle. Hard pass on both vehicles, from me, for the time being, but in 5 years? Well, I bet Porsche figures out EV way sooner than Elon figures out how to make a car.

Not sure where the junk part comes from. The Tesla sale numbers are obliterating everything in the luxury market. I would think these people that moved from Mercedes, Jaguars, BMWs etc. would would not put up with junk simply to drive electric. There is lots of room for improvement for sure though.

Why do so many people conflate sales numbers with quality/reliability? I'm not calling Tesla junk although I've read about lots of issues with them - my point is lots of junk cars sell well.

Where did I say reliability? I'm usually one that will criticize any Toyota fanboy bringing up sale numbers of Camry and Corolla as proof of their superior reliability.

But Ws6 said Teslas were junk, whatever that means. So how such a junk vehicle could steal customers from established and superior makes as Mercedes or BMW? And it has been doing it over several years already.

Where did I say reliability? I'm usually one that will criticize any Toyota fanboy bringing up sale numbers of Camry and Corolla as proof of their superior reliability.

But Ws6 said Teslas were junk, whatever that means. So how such a junk vehicle could steal customers from established and superior makes as Mercedes or BMW? And it has been doing it over several years already.

Bcs it is a trend.
My two neighbors have it, next to two other vehicles that they use for anything that normal survival in this world requires.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Bcs it is a trend.
My two neighbors have it, next to two other vehicles that they use for anything that normal survival in this world requires.

And getting an S class, 7 series and in recent years the move to luxury SUVs is what exactly?

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
lol.gif

Last I read, Porsche makes over $17,000 per vehicle sold.

How about Tesla?

I imagine Porsche makes profit on their ICE vehicles.
They compete in a low volume, high margin market.
I doubt they will break even for a long time on their EVs.
I understand they have 30K reservations already... Wow!

Have they invested in charger infrastructure? Tesla is currently building out Europe...
Tesla is far ahead of any other EV manufacturer.
Again, Porsche is a formidible competitor.

It means they use bargain basement components that then break and screw over the end user, and that they have horrible QA/QC, and push deadlines at the expense of doing things correctly. How can a junk vehicle steal customers? Easy. Perception is reality. You're a perfect example of that. CR gives them horrible reviews, the media is awash in their terrible QA/QC, and they have lost money every year they have sold a car. Yet here you are "It must be good!" lol!

Originally Posted by Ws6

It means they use bargain basement components that then break and screw over the end user, and that they have horrible QA/QC, and push deadlines at the expense of doing things correctly. How can a junk vehicle steal customers? Easy. Perception is reality. You're a perfect example of that. CR gives them horrible reviews, the media is awash in their terrible QA/QC, and they have lost money every year they have sold a car. Yet here you are "It must be good!" lol!

LOL. Your ramblings lately are getting more and more ridiculous.
Not sure if I'm a perfect example because I don't aspire to own a tesla.

I have driven one though and I can tell you the experience is quite something else. Smooth, quiet with instant torque and power, no fake engine sounds. The interior leaves lots to be desired, but the driving experience more than makes up for it IMO. I can see why people like them.

Originally Posted by Ws6

LOL. Your ramblings lately are getting more and more ridiculous.
Not sure if I'm a perfect example because I don't aspire to own a tesla.

I have driven one though and I can tell you the experience is quite something else. Smooth, quiet with instant torque and power, no fake engine sounds. The interior leaves lots to be desired, but the driving experience more than makes up for it IMO. I can see why people like them.

Like I said, you're a perfect example of why junk like Tesla sells. You ignore facts in favor of feelings.

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/27989/teslas-screen-saga-shows-why-automotive-grade-matters
https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/21/t...ecommendation-over-reliability-problems/
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/10/business/tesla-elon-musk-outlook.html
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...is-terrible-but-does-it-matter-to-buyers
https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-could-be-held-back-by-quality-issues-in-europe-2019-8
https://autoweek.com/article/green-...ineering-firm-highlights-assembly-issues

Back