Facebook Marketplace BS price car ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like a lot of the late model ads that post a low price are just posting the down payment. It totally messes up the search function. There isn't even a place to report the ad. This is worse than Craigslist now.

lol, just don't shop there.

I've been to a real, fairly big car lot where they wouldn't even tell me what the cars cost! I blinked a few times like I was in the twilight zone before leaving.

Go elsewhere. Problem solved.
Personally I don't use fakebook. Never had it, never will, and will never miss it.

Equally bad is the inability to filter out dealer listings. You can show only dealer listings but there is no option to show private seller only. Even Craigslist lets you do that.

Originally Posted by Dave9
I've been to a real, fairly big car lot where they wouldn't even tell me what the cars cost! I blinked a few times like I was in the twilight zone before leaving.

I had a similar experience when looking at a used X3 during one of the bank liquidation events that dealers do once or twice a year. Ask him what they were asking and was told that they don't disclose that information. I just stared at him then he proceeded...first they would have to run my credit (didn't even ask if I was going to be financing) then based off the report we'd have to agree to a conditional offer first, once that was decided the total purchase price would be disclosed. I was dumbfounded. Turned right around and walked out. Shame too, it was a clean X3 and I had cash in hand.

CL is mostly a waste of time now too. I did find the Nissan Versa in my sig from FB marketplace though. Sometimes you get 'lucky'.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Go elsewhere. Problem solved.
Personally I don't use fakebook. Never had it, never will, and will never miss it.

The reality is Facebook is replacing Craigslist for the type of market I believe OP is seeking.

Lot of great bargains on Facebook including a local tag line sale where hone owner just gave me a front loader Bosch small washer free. Far less sketchy as platform then CL.

People focus on the social media aspect but it's a great place to buy and sell and people you plainly see or not. I judge off pictures that are visible to see if I want to deal with party.

FB marketplace is a joke. I've got my Cadillac listed up for $1,400 with photos and ALL the information on the car. All I've gotten are "Will you take $700?" "What's wrong with it?" "Does it run and drive?". I retort to all these messages with "No" or "Read the ad".

If you have a SPECIFIC question, then ask it. Otherwise don't waste my time.

I had someone message me on FB asking if I would trade my Porsche Carrera straight-up for his fox body convertible. Another one offered me $5.5k less than my asking and became indignant when I refused.

These types of interactions are not exclusive to FB marketplace - you have to deal with idiots and low ballers no matter where/how you're selling a car. Dealers do it everyday and in greater numbers than you or I. My favorite are those that come look at the car and then ghost you - why do some people just love wasting time?

Originally Posted by atikovi
The thing is, the younger people are doing FB and you pretty much have to list everywhere to have a better chance of selling.

Depends on your age. For the teenagers, FB is for "old" people. Like email. Grandparents LOVE FB because they can see new pictures of their grandkids every week.

Scammers, slimy sellers and freaks infest every free ad listing service. However, at least in my area, FB Marketplace has taken a huge chunk out of CL, leaving mostly the idiots behind (but bringing along plenty of scammers). When I listed the Honda Pilot on both services the first time around, I got one good lead from CL and many from FB. Second time around I didn't waste my time with CL and it sold quickly through FB Marketplace.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
FB marketplace is a joke. I've got my Cadillac listed up for $1,400 with photos and ALL the information on the car. All I've gotten are "Will you take $700?" "What's wrong with it?" "Does it run and drive?". I retort to all these messages with "No" or "Read the ad".

I too can express my dissatisfaction with most responses from both services. I put "Needs transmission work" at the top and bottom of the ad text. Most responses were oblivious to this fact. Instead of hovering over the ad all day, I waited until I got several replies and then responded to all of them at once with copy-and-paste.

Yeah the worst is the lowballers. I didn't even get "Will you take $XXX" it was just "$250" messaged to me (Talking now about a mower I sold). After a while I just ignored these. But no matter how you handle it, someone will find a way to waste your time.

I did get a bit of revenge. On the Pilot, I had an obvious car flipper (FB feed full of cars for sale for the past 2 years) giving me a sob story about how he needed me to deliver this car for him 50 miles away, for a lowball price, because, wife, family, kids, sob stories went on and on. I just egged him one while I sold the car to someone else and then put him on ignore.

Girlfriend was buying a new car and I was tasked with selling her old car. Had it on Craigslist and this dude calls me telling me he can be there in 1-1/2 hours cash in hand, low ball offer of $1k less than asking price. We get to talking and I tell him this is my girlfriend's car I'm selling.

Does she know you're selling her car? Funniest thing I heard in a long time. I said yes she does otherwise I would have told you to start driving!

Originally Posted by RamFan
Originally Posted by Dave9

I had a similar experience when looking at a used X3 during one of the bank liquidation events that dealers do once or twice a year. Ask him what they were asking and was told that they don't disclose that information. I just stared at him then he proceeded...first they would have to run my credit (didn't even ask if I was going to be financing) then based off the report we'd have to agree to a conditional offer first, once that was decided the total purchase price would be disclosed. I was dumbfounded. Turned right around and walked out. Shame too, it was a clean X3 and I had cash in hand.

I would've pulled a buck out of my wallet and offered them a dollar.

Originally Posted by SVTCobra
Girlfriend was buying a new car and I was tasked with selling her old car. Had it on Craigslist and this dude calls me telling me he can be there in 1-1/2 hours cash in hand, low ball offer of $1k less than asking price. We get to talking and I tell him this is my girlfriend's car I'm selling.

Does she know you're selling her car? Funniest thing I heard in a long time. I said yes she does otherwise I would have told you to start driving!

Sounds like a legitimate question to me. Too many varmints and scallawags our there these days. Gamers, all of them.

The latest annoyance on CL are the people asking for you to contact them from your email. Apparently the CL message service isn't working for them, yet somehow they were able to contact you. Just right now I got,

Hey there. I would like to speak with you. Any accidents reported on it?

If you can, please message me at my personal email instead of here please. I will leave it below for you. Mail has not been going through consistently on Craigslist and I want to make sure we can get in touch with each other.

My email: LukeCook624(at-Gmaìl-com)

Maybe check your spam folder also. I know mail can end up in there sometimes. Talk to you soon. Thanks.

- Luke

Sent from my iPhone

Originally Posted by 14Accent

I suppose I should post a follow up:

Not an hour after posting this, I got a message from a really nice guy asking if he could come by my shop (I've just been leaving the car there, easier to "show") when he got off work. Lord help me, he showed up EARLY, with my asking price in hand. Apparently his 740i decided it didn't like it's water pump anymore and sent the fan through the radiator. He was just looking for something to get him through the winter, while he fixed up the BMW.

He had no problem showing me the cash before a test drive, he volunteered his license for a test drive, and he bought the car right then and there. No tire kicking, no negotiation, nothing. Nice guy, we talked cars for a bit and off he went. Now I've got to carry around this heavy wallet... ha!

Last edited:
facebook marketplace is very good for selling things.

I can sell literally anything very quickly, most times for more than it's worth.

Last item, a dude paid me 50 dollars for a used box spring and frame.

Another dude disassembled a harbor freight greenhouse at my house and paid me to take it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back