Audi A3 Quattro 2.0TFSI 6-speed S-tronic...FRI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not a Mazda CX-5 the most amazing vehicle in the world.
27.gif

More useful not on this list which I'd take pause/dig deep if there: https://www.consumerreports.org/used-cars/used-cars-to-avoid-buying/

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Any common issues to be aware of? Car is a 2015 model. 35K miles on it. Aware of plugs and DSG service upcoming.

Religiously change DSG fluid at 40k using OE VW.
I am not aware that spark lugs on EA888 are due that early unless it is something specific to this Audi.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Ws6
Any common issues to be aware of? Car is a 2015 model. 35K miles on it. Aware of plugs and DSG service upcoming.

I am not aware that spark lugs on EA888 are due that early unless it is something specific to this Audi.

It's per Audi's data:
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam...ntenance-Schedule-Model-Year-2015-v2.pdf

I'm just going by that, and yes, I also am aware DSG needs to be driven like a stick in traffic, not like an automatic. If this is adhered to (she "gets it"), and the fluid is changed on time, by Audi, is it a good box that should last 200K, or is that just pie in the sky?

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

It's per Audi's data:

I'm just going by that, and yes, I also am aware DSG needs to be driven like a stick in traffic, not like an automatic. If this is adhered to (she "gets it"), and the fluid is changed on time, by Audi, is it a good box that should last 200K, or is that just pie in the sky?

I am not aware of DSG being driven like manual. In which sense? Manually shifting? It is not necessary.
DSG's had occasionally mechatronics issue up until mid 2012. My 2010 VW CC that I traded with some 116k never had a single issue. But again, I did change fluid every 40k.
So spark plugs at 35k is bcs. engine is flex fuel? My EA888 in Tiguan is at 60k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

It's per Audi's data:

I am not aware of DSG being driven like manual. In which sense? Manually shifting? It is not necessary.
DSG's had occasionally mechatronics issue up until mid 2012. My 2010 VW CC that I traded with some 116k never had a single issue. But again, I did change fluid every 40k.
So spark plugs at 35k is bcs. engine is flex fuel? My EA888 in Tiguan is at 60k.

It says it's flex fuel. Can it run on 87 octane, or nah?

Also...

As to DSG's, I have been under the impression that you do not want to "creep" in them, because it's the same as riding a clutch in a manual. You want to either be accelerating or steady, or stopped. Not this creep at 1mph business. Hence, "drive it like a manual". You wouldn't ride the clutch at 1mph in a traffic jam in a stickshift, so why make the DSG do the same thing? Or is my info dated?

The DSG in our ‘17 GTI was one of the best automatics that I've driven. Car was totaled at 50,000 miles so I don't have long term update available. No problems at all up to that point.

Audi A3 is a neat car if you don't need the larger rear seat or trunk space of A4.

It says it's flex fuel. Can it run on 87 octane, or nah?

Also...

As to DSG's, I have been under the impression that you do not want to "creep" in them, because it's the same as riding a clutch in a manual. You want to either be accelerating or steady, or stopped. Not this creep at 1mph business. Hence, "drive it like a manual". You wouldn't ride the clutch at 1mph in a traffic jam in a stickshift, so why make the DSG do the same thing? Or is my info dated?

OK, I get what you saying 1mph. Yeah, they are bit jerky bcs. of nature of the gearbox. However, it is hard to avoid things like that sometimes. Again, I never avoded that and it was fine. But than, I never had a 9-5 job here in the US, so very occasionally I would end up in rush hour. Maybe that might created some issues with earlier versions. But I am not aware post 2012 having any major issues.
IMO, any European vehicle likes 91 and up. They are all tuned for that. But then again, I run 91 in my Toyota, so you would need someone who actually did it to get you some feedback.

Originally Posted by drtyler
The DSG in our ‘17 GTI was one of the best automatics that I've driven. Car was totaled at 50,000 miles so I don't have long term update available. No problems at all up to that point.

Audi A3 is a neat car if you don't need the larger rear seat or trunk space of A4.

Let's be clear, DSG is not automatic, meaning: it does not have torque converter. It is robotized manual transmission.

Well, I'll let this be the canary in the mine shaft, if you will, and if it turns out to rock hard after 150K miles, I'll be due to replace my SUV by then, and it will be a race between EV's to offer 1000mi range (my requirement in an EV, t o account for cold, 90mph, etc.) and the Audi SQ5, which through my arguments with Edy, I've become impressed with, even if the base Q5 is a "meh" at its price point for me.

Will update on whether or not she gets it later tonight.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Well, I'll let this be the canary in the mine shaft, if you will, and if it turns out to rock hard after 150K miles, I'll be due to replace my SUV by then, and it will be a race between EV's to offer 1000mi range (my requirement in an EV, t o account for cold, 90mph, etc.) and the Audi SQ5, which through my arguments with Edy, I've become impressed with, even if the base Q5 is a "meh" at its price point for me.

Will update on whether or not she gets it later tonight.

The SQ5 is an incredible SUV. My brother got a certified used one from Audi for around $35k a few years ago and does not have single complaint about the vehicle and loves the thing. Came with 29k and now has 105k.

She opted not to go with the Audi. It's just to radical a departure from her Pilot for her, I believe. Also, dealer came in light on trade value. On the other hand, I wasnt really into the car like I thought I would be. It was loud, flexed noticeably over bumps or irregularities, and just felt cheap in general. I know the A3 is their entry level, but it was loaded out and I just expected more german bank vault, so to speak.

On the upside handling was nice, and the turbo didnt produce much lag. The DSG was a decent gearbox, as well. Fit and finish was alright. Nothing glaring, but there was a lot of hard plastic. It reminded me of my 2002 Infiniti G20, but with more creaks.

Originally Posted by Ws6
She opted not to go with the Audi. It's just to radical a departure from her Pilot for her, I believe. Also, dealer came in light on trade value. On the other hand, I wasnt really into the car like I thought I would be. It was loud, flexed noticeably over bumps or irregularities, and just felt cheap in general. I know the A3 is their entry level, but it was loaded out and I just expected more german bank vault, so to speak.

On the upside handling was nice, and the turbo didnt produce much lag. The DSG was a decent gearbox, as well. Fit and finish was alright. Nothing glaring, but there was a lot of hard plastic. It reminded me of my 2002 Infiniti G20, but with more creaks.

It is pimped up Golf. It rolls on MQB platform. It seems that Audi, which is known to have best interior fit and finish as well as materials missed abit in this A3.
If she wants Audi, I would go Q5 V6 or SQ5. It is same engine just to different outputs. Quattro Pete has Q5 V6 that lower range with 272hp It is really stout engine.
But than again, if that is radical, and she wants SUV for hauling stuff, why not CX9?

Originally Posted by Ws6

It is pimped up Golf. It rolls on MQB platform. It seems that Audi, which is known to have best interior fit and finish as well as materials missed abit in this A3.
If she wants Audi, I would go Q5 V6 or SQ5. It is same engine just to different outputs. Quattro Pete has Q5 V6 that lower range with 272hp It is really stout engine.
But than again, if that is radical, and she wants SUV for hauling stuff, why not CX9?

She's indecisive. She doesn't care about anything except how the vehicle looks, what it costs, that it's reliable, and has AWD. She doesn't like the look of CX9, CX5, new Pilot, etc. This is 90% an emotion purchase, and 10% a logic purchase. She liked the look of the A3 and it was AWD, basically.

My approach to it was more clinical. It failed to impress me as an Audi. I definitely hope this was a "miss" and not what Audi is typically producing, as the only thing luxury about it were the Bang speakers. The rest of it was very early 2000's Nissan in how it fit/felt.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

She's indecisive. She doesn't care about anything except how the vehicle looks, what it costs, that it's reliable, and has AWD. She doesn't like the look of CX9, CX5, new Pilot, etc. This is 90% an emotion purchase, and 10% a logic purchase. She liked the look of the A3 and it was AWD, basically.

My approach to it was more clinical. It failed to impress me as an Audi. I definitely hope this was a "miss" and not what Audi is typically producing, as the only thing luxury about it were the Bang speakers. The rest of it was very early 2000's Nissan in how it fit/felt.

If she liked old Pilot, she should check VW Atlas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back