Bought my first zero turn today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I needed a mower for 3.5 acres and spent several days looking at reviews, specs, yada yada.

I ended up with an Ariens APEX 60" deck for around $1k under MSRP after taxes. Anybody had/have one? How did it do? I know it's kinda after the fact but now that it's mine any known problems would be a good heads-up. It's got the 24-HP Kawasaki FR730V. And yes it's getting a Fram Ultra 3600 and some Amsoil ASF 10W40 after about 5 hours of use.

[Linked Image from assets.ariens.com]

Seems to be a prosumer model.. should be fine for that use.
I would like a zero-turn mower for mowing but with the conditions of the fields I mow.. I'd get airborne or break something in a hole.

and my home yard isnt big enough my $1000 35 year old jd 316 is plenty.

I think that you made a good choice. It's basically a Gravely with a different paint scheme. Make sure you get it leveled correctly before using it. Your filter choice is good. Oil, whatever you like as long as it meets Kawasaki specs. The Hydro-Gear ZT-3100 transaxles will need and oil change after 75-100 hours and every 400 hours after that. Any 20W50 will do for the transaxles. There aren't many transmission filters that fit the ZT-3100. I believe that WIX makes all of the filters that fit the ZT-3100.

Nice! I should have bought a better zero turn, i have the toro timecutter. Its nowhere near as tough as the one you just bought. Mine will beat you up on rough ground, my next one will have a suspension seat.

I run the fram ulta filter on my Kawasaki fr651v. I have used amsoil motorcycle and hdd oils, but now i'm running name brand 5w40 and 15w 40 diesel oils.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, MParr! I'm good with WIX filters. Are the transaxles easy to drain & fill? I will probably get 10+ hours of use before winter this year, so I may need a cold-weather project and that would be an option. And yes, that's one of the reasons I got it was that it's basically a Gravely. Plus the orange paint is a better match to the AWD Husqvarna self-propelled that I bought last year
lol.gif

Spasm, I figured I'd try the ASF since the NOACK is under 4% and Amsoil specifically shows an essentially spotless FR730V piston after 500 hours, so yep, the advertising got them at least a one-time purchaser!

Running Amsoil in my SCAG zturn in the engine Kohler along with their hydro oil in my pump motors zt2800 with OEM filter excellent feel Highly reccomend it.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Spasm, I figured I'd try the ASF since the NOACK is under 4% and Amsoil specifically shows an essentially spotless FR730V piston after 500 hours, so yep, the advertising got them at least a one-time purchaser!

I've been running Amsoil Asf in my jd 317 I repowered with a Briggs vanguard vtwin. There is no room for an oil cooler in my application, and the oil does get very hot. The asf seems to be holding up well to the heat.
I vthink it will work well for you!

I don't know how Ariens/Gravely set up there fill system. I have a Toro Timecutter HD 54 with the same transaxle. They may have a reservoir/overflow tank and that will make filling easier. Basically to drain, you just remove the filters. Note: It's easier to remove the rear wheels to service. I used WM Super Tech 20W50 for my first service. Follow your manual instructions. Hydro-Gear has all the additional information you may need on their website.

Last edited:
Dave
The OEM hydro filters are made by WIX. In fact, the Hydo-Gear filters, the Toro filters, the Exmark filters, the Hustler filters and etc. are made by WIX. All different colors and paint schemes but, they are all WIX made.

Originally Posted by MParr
Dave
The OEM hydro filters are made by WIX. In fact, the Hydo-Gear filters, the Toro filters, the Exmark filters, the Hustler filters and etc. are made by WIX. All different colors and paint schemes but, they are all WIX made.

Yes and Amazon puts the hydro gear on my front step for free at a good price that's the reason for the pick.

Originally Posted by MParr
I don't know how Ariens/Gravely set up there fill system. I have a Toro Timecutter HD 54 with the same transaxle. They may have a reservoir/overflow tank and that will make filling easier. Basically to drain, you just remove the filters. Note: It's easier to remove the rear wheels to service. I used WM Super Tech 20W50 for my first service. Follow your manual instructions. Hydro-Gear has all the additional information you may need on their website.
no problem with my SCAG super easy and no reason for my app to remove rear wheels.

Looks great and looks well built!

I use the Amsoil Small Engine 10w-40 with the Kawaski oil filter and the Amsoil Zero Turn Hydrostatic 20w-50 in the transmission and a Hydrogear Filter.

I sorta go for the OEM filters.

The most difficult thing for me to accomplish was leveling the deck. IT WAS a REAL PAIN.
The Hydrostatic Fluid change was basically drain the tank and change the filter. Pretty messy, though.

Nice mower. I have the Gravely Pro 148. Wished I had got the 60" version but at the time I had a 5' wide trailor. I use Delo 15/40 with
MC 910s oil filters changed out once a year with 40 to 50 hours of use. I did have the trans serviced at the 100 hour mark. I should change
it out again next year with over 300 hours on the trans oil.

The only tidbits I can add: I was "told" that it is better to engage the blade clutch at half throttle vs. full throttle. Anyone else hear this? When my Kawasaki 23 HP is not fully warmed, I need a small amount of choke while engaging the blades to avoid stalling.

I avoid washing my workplace Exmark. I use a blower to get loose grass and debris off and only rinse it with water 2 or 3 times a year. Look at all the nooks/crannies, joints, etc. that can collect water. Some say that water on warm bearings (spindles) can be drawn into the bearing during cool down. Truth or myth, it seems that excess water might be detrimental.

Finally, laugh if you wish (but this IS BITOG) - I attempt to put a good sealant wax on the my mower every spring, hoping that it assists preventing grime accumulation.

I have a Cub Cadet with ZT3400s. I did a drain and fill on the hydos about a month ago and used Rotary 12374 filters. They were about half the price of Wix. They are heavy and seem like a quality filter from the exterior. https://www.rotarycorp.com/product/12374

A drain and fill on these things is relatively straight forward. There are a few YouTube videos out there that can walk you through the process.

i would use oe filter while under warranty.

10w-40.. i thought i seen newer zero turns taking 15w-50.

Lots of luck with your new toy.

I bought a new, slightly smaller Ariens zero turn last year, and it's the second biggest POS I've ever owned, second only to a Honda car I had in college. The Honda was really, really, bad, otherwise this POS would be in first place.

I use mine to mow my commercial property, and EVERY time I take it out of state to mow one of my outer properties, it tosses the drive belt. Every time. It's impossible to replace in the field. On my local property, it's better - it only fails half the time.

The only positive thing is that the local dealer is a few hundred yards from my warehouse of junk. So that's sort of convenient. Edit : in fact, it's in the shop right now, and has been for at least the last three weeks. If you trailer it, be sure to have a strong come along with you. You'll likely need it.

Hope yours works better for you, than mine does for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back