Seat Belt Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
04 Camry - The seat belt is extended as far as it can go and won't recoil. I fiddled with it for a min but at a loss.

Hit the pillar near the seatbelt with a closed fist. If that doesn't work, smack around it with a rubber mallet using a plastic bag to hopefully prevent making marks.

If you can't get it to retract, I would suggest removing it, it will be a little bit of a pain in the rear. Once you have removed it, you can then roll the complete retractor assy around and snap on the belt a few times while your doing that and hopefully the "Pawl" will release a tooth or two. Once you get a tooth or two released, you should be able to hold it perfectly upright and get it to retract. Remember to hold it straight upright after you get a tooth or two released or it will probably lock again and you will have to start the process over again.

eta; Don't turn on the ignition with the belt removed or the SRS light will most likely remain on until it gets reset, you could also disconnect the battery.

Last edited:
We live in a semi arid climate with our share of sand . Ages ago I had to work on a sear belt retractor on a GM car .

You guessed it . Between sand and paper trash , it would not work correctly . Cleared out the trash and used WD40 to washed out the sand and lube the working parts . Was still working when we got rid of the car .

You could also try a can of air duster and spray around the seat belt assembly and maybe it'll clear out. Happened on one car of mine, I was about to take it apart and send it in for repair but after taking the covers off, blew out the mechanism and a couple years later it's still working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back