Tesla vs Porsche...

Taycan vs Model S

Gonna be fun.
Heck, our Model 3 was expensive enough. Sheesh.

The Taycan is gorgeous. The Model 3 has been around for awhile...
Model 3 needs a refresh. Over 400 mile range... A $185K Porsche killer!
Nice to see some competition.

Last edited:
Almost $100k more, almost 100 miles lees on a charge, no charging network, heavier, slower. Yup Tesla killer is here.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Taycan vs Model S

Gonna be fun.

Tesla is junk. Porsche knows how to actually build a car. Elon has had more time to figure out how to do the electric drive part, but Porsche has decades on figuring out how not to make a junk vehicle. Hard pass on both vehicles, from me, for the time being, but in 5 years? Well, I bet Porsche figures out EV way sooner than Elon figures out how to make a car.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Taycan vs Model S

Gonna be fun.

Tesla is junk. Porsche knows how to actually build a car. Elon has had more time to figure out how to do the electric drive part, but Porsche has decades on figuring out how not to make a junk vehicle. Hard pass on both vehicles, from me, for the time being, but in 5 years? Well, I bet Porsche figures out EV way sooner than Elon figures out how to make a car.

Not sure where the junk part comes from. The Tesla sale numbers are obliterating everything in the luxury market. I would think these people that moved from Mercedes, Jaguars, BMWs etc. would would not put up with junk simply to drive electric. There is lots of room for improvement for sure though.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Taycan vs Model S

Gonna be fun.

+1, well said. The Taycan is very expensive, I'll wait a few years, I think Porsche will bring the price down a bit.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Tesla is junk.

They do have some reliability concerns. But they are far from junk. I absolutely love driving them.

The Tesla Model S is an American made 5 adult passenger, large luxury sedan. The fact that it performs so well is, quite frankly, amazing. Takes a dedicated race car to beat it, that's for sure.

So the drop dead gorgeous Taycan loses to a 2013 Model S Performance in most categories.
As Ws6 points out, Porsche has been building cars for a loooong time.

I do hand it to the Taycan to give the Tesla some competition.
Porsche is only 700,000 cars behind.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by Ws6

The Tesla Model S is an American made 5 adult passenger, large luxury sedan. The fact that it performs so well is, quite frankly, amazing. Takes a dedicated race car to beat it, that's for sure.

Not only American made, but operate in California no less and they export in a big way.

I want to like the Porsche but the VW group needs to put up or shut up on this especially after the etron backslide on range, efficiency and charging.

Without a charging network it risks becoming nothing more than a short trip toy.

VW group is a long way out from delivering on its promises.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PandaBear
Around people I know, it seems like anyone younger than 45 wants a Tesla and older than 45 wants a Porsche.

It is true the younger people take to the Model 3 much easier than older folks.
If you are totally comfortable using a cellphone, an iPhone, a Chromie, you will take to the futuristic Model 3.
For others, the learning curve can be steep.

In Silicon Valley high tech, Tesla is the car everyone wants.

Originally Posted by Trav
At least the Porsche driver isn't locked for hours out because some flaky apps goes down. Nuff said IMO.

https://thenextweb.com/cars/2019/09...-of-their-cars-because-the-app-was-down/

Trav - Tesla has billions of miles driven. How much does the Taycan have?
Just askin'...

All good.

Porsche cars have thousands of times more miles than Tesla will probably ever have ( I don't see them in business in 10 years), you cant compare just one model.

They have building the car down to a science and know how to get everything out of the design.
Given the Germans have a lot of experience with high speed electric motors, efficient designs and ground breaking vehicle electronic control innovation I cant see it taking very long for the drive train to surpass the Tesla by a wide margin. All IMHO but Just sayin.

At least the Porsche driver isn't locked for hours out because some flaky apps goes down. Nuff said IMO.

https://thenextweb.com/cars/2019/09...-of-their-cars-because-the-app-was-down/

Trav - Tesla has billions of miles driven. How much does the Taycan have?
Just askin'...

All good.

Porsche cars have thousands of times more miles than Tesla will probably ever have ( I don't see them in business in 10 years), you cant compare just one model.

They have building the car down to a science and know how to get everything out of the design.
Given the Germans have a lot of experience with high speed electric motors, efficient designs and ground breaking vehicle electronic control innovation I cant see it taking very long for the drive train to surpass the Tesla by a wide margin. All IMHO but Just sayin.

I see your point, but they are years and billions of miles behind Tesla building electric cars.
Their experience produced an electric car nearly the same size as the Model S, 7 years later.
Stunning car, but at nearly $200K it should surpass the much older car in most ways. It does not.
Considering the great points you made regarding Porsche's knowledge and abilities, why didn't they deliver a real Model S killer?

The point I was making referred to the stranded Tesla owners. Even Porsches can break down.
For a completely new car manufacturer to do what Tesla has done is remarkable.
Musk had zero car building experience; his cars have changed the world.
And even Porsche falls short.

Last edited:
I like the Tesla don't get me wrong but if the guy running the company had some real car builders designing and running the assy division instead of setting up a big white tent in the place and trying to mico manage the whole deal he could build a better car for less money, JMO

I guarantee Porsche will have good parts availability and factory trained mechanics for the cars around the world.
Sure it will break, probably have recalls and TSB's but they have a good network to address the issues, IMO this is where Tesla is dropping the ball.

Tesla...

...used consumer grade screens in the model S. Now they are all breaking.
...constantly cuts corners to meet blown deadlines.
...practices "gatekeeping" by disabling a vehicles mechanical potential for range via software to force upcharges. This was proven when over air updates unlocked the range so hurricane victims could evacuate, per Tesla.
...constantly fails to maintain a recommended rating from CR due to constant qa/qc issues.

There is a reason Tesla has never posted a year end profit. If Elon didnt have money from his other ventures to keep feeding Tesla, it would have died a dozen times over already.

Back