Only drove weekend car 3k miles in 2 years. Needs oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wowthisexists
Can't imagine oil filter rusting out with all that oil inside it, coating.
Driven at least once a month

I personally saw the filter rust out on an Impala taxi with about 2 years and 60k miles on the oil change. Although it's possible the previous oil change they skipped doing the filter. It got changed this time when the filter leaked through the rust.

My ex girlfriend also had a neglected Impala that had a very rusty looking filter when it finally got changed.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Can anyone speak to the notion that the oil is fouled with water after 2 years?

In reality no. Also since you take it at least a 30 mile drive every month to me this is a non factor.

I think this is largely dependant on the temperatures of the climate where you drive. I see everyone in the south saying no, whereas in the cold north we've all seen the milky buildup on the oil caps of short tripped cars in the winter with no other mechanical problems.

The 30 minute drives will help a lot and I don't know where in the USA you live. But if it's a warmer climate then there is likely not much moisture built up in your oil.

Personally I would still do it at 2 years though.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Can't imagine oil filter rusting out with all that oil inside it, coating.
Driven at least once a month

I personally saw the filter rust out on an Impala taxi with about 2 years and 60k miles on the oil change. Although it's possible the previous oil change they skipped doing the filter. It got changed this time when the filter leaked through the rust.

My ex girlfriend also had a neglected Impala that had a very rusty looking filter when it finally got changed.

That's a great point often overlooked. I've gone about 3-4K miles in over 2 years with my van a few times. I use either Mobil 1 or Fram Ultra filters, in the NY area where salt is used on the roads. For the cost of a filter it isn't worth me chancing it for a second run that long.

Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid
Can anyone speak to the notion that the oil is fouled with water after 2 years?

since the engine is open to the atmosphere via intake manifold this will be an issue
this will make it easy to understand ..

Why do you like spreading bunk information? It's not funny.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid
since the engine is open to the atmosphere via intake manifold this will be an issue
this will make it easy to understand ..
Why do you like spreading bunk information? It's not funny.

Another new name, another series of goofy posts but the user is still the same.

This particular iteration has been allowed to persist for a while though.

Last oil change was 2 years ago.
Is this an issue?

I'm in a similar position with a garaged car that that doesn't get a lot of miles put on it. I will be changing every two years just to be safe. The car is driven once or twice a week for at least 10 -20 miles most times during the 3 seasons in Pennsylvania, with one longer trip down Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway to the tail of the dragon and back last fall. Driven ~5000 miles since fall 2017 when I last changed oil and filter.

Car has a cartridge filter (Hengst) and 9.5 quarts of M1 0w-40. While I'm not really worried about leaving filter in for longer than two years, I figure to be safe, just change it since the paper might get brittle after a while.

Yes 2 years is too long between oil changes. It's good that you drive it to full temp and keep it there awhile, it helps keep moisture out of the oil. But still, you aren't doing yourself any favors if you plan to keep this vehicle long term. At least do a drain & fill as macarose suggested above. You can get 5 quarts of good oil for around $20 at Walmart and it's super easy to do yourself.

Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...surburban-big-block-m1-10w-30-5-year-oci

Thanks.
5 years and perfectly fine.
Exactly what I suspected.

But that is not your vehicle.
Again, unless you do a UOA, you won't know. The cost of a UOA is more than an oil change, but you can use that info as a guide for future intervals though.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx

When I've encountered an oil cap like that it was either a PCV or head gasket problem. Could have been an intake manifold coolant crossover gasket too on V engines.

It had a relatively new PCV valve and has never had another issue with it.
I think it was too many short trips, cold moist weather, and a tall oil fill tube.

Originally Posted by DGXR
Yes 2 years is too long between oil changes. It's good that you drive it to full temp and keep it there awhile, it helps keep moisture out of the oil. But still, you aren't doing yourself any favors if you plan to keep this vehicle long term. At least do a drain & fill as macarose suggested above. You can get 5 quarts of good oil for around $20 at Walmart and it's super easy to do yourself.

This post is just wrong oil does not degrade by being in the oil pan. The information is available if you spend 3 minutes looking for it.

Last oil change was 2 years ago.
Is this an issue?

I put about 2K on my Taurus per year and do an annual oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back