Mazda CX-5, the best luxury SUV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drove it, bought a Hyundai Santa Fe.

TV Everyday Driver tested SUVs couple weeks ago and rated CX-5 #2, Honda CRV #3? or 4?

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by MParr
The Mazda CX-5 isn't what I would consider a luxury SUV or luxury CUV, for that matter. Here's something that is similar in size to the CX-5.
https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-crossovers/mkc/
https://www.cadillac.com/suvs/preceding-year/xt4

XT4 is a horrible choice, IMO. The 7.5 second 0-60 time is atrocious when everyone else is pushing low 6's except MB's GLC300. IT does deliver on the infotainment, etc. but that performance is pretty horrible and I'd be loath to spend $50k on it at that.

When teenagers are targeted customers.

AMG...the teen-centric MB product!

However, both vehicles pale in comparison to GLC.

And that's pale in comparison to an S class or GLS...

Originally Posted by dishdude
Nissan Versa or Mercedes S Class. Which is the best luxury sedan?

Sorely tempted to pick up a 2013 S class, but that was the last year of the model and the 2014 is what I really want. Big difference in price though, the 2013's are in the 25-30k range and the 2014's are more like 40k+. I think by waiting a year or two, they will probably drop down to the 25-30k range. Depreciation is still too high even after just a couple years. My E class has probably dropped about 10k in value in the last 5 years that I've had it, but I don't mind that as it's in the realm of what you'd expect for average depreciation of a regular car.

Crown Vic, of course.
smile.gif

Beautiful...
We may never know.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Beautiful...
We may never know.

Depends which one is running on RT43!

Beautiful...
We may never know.

Rofl! Even rt43s wont calm a GLCs rattles down. Go drive one. Flexy, loud, rattly. At least, compared to a more sturdily structured car like a cx5.

That's the main way I think the cx5 outdoes the GLC in my experience. More rigid structure means less flex and creaks, and that leads to a much more premium feeling ride. The quieter interior helps, too. You can really tell, driving them both back to back, or [censored], even riding in them back to back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

Beautiful...
We may never know.

Rofl! Even rt43s wont calm a GLCs rattles down. Go drive one. Flexy, loud, rattly. At least, compared to a more sturdily structured car like a cx5.

That's the main way I think the cx5 outdoes the GLC in my experience. More rigid structure means less flex and creaks, and that leads to a much more premium feeling ride. The quieter interior helps, too. You can really tell, driving them both back to back, or [censored], even riding in them back to back.

33.gif

33.gif

It's okay that the GLC is louder and more flexy, slower and gets worse mpg. It has a longitudinal engine, yo! And it's an Em Bee!!! Stands for Moar Bettar!!!!

Seriously though, the CX5 is one of the most solid structures on the road, with a torsional rigidity of 31,185 Nm/deg. It shows when you drive it over irregularities, etc. Matters more to me than a badge.

Last edited:
Mazda is not jewelry to buying public and fully lacks the branding. Excellent vehicles but not a luxury maker. They are trying to get into the niche of the anti luxury brand but nice vehicles but basically inflating the sticker from base model by 50% and offering more content that does not cost that much. Every plebeian brand does it and well.

The CX-5 seems to keep Mazda afloat in USA which lacks financial backing to do much more and appeal widely. Hopefully USA it's profitable for them.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
I cannot imagine a more hilarious comparison. This forum is seemingly dedicated to bizarre threads lately...

I thought it was a tongue in cheek question? as one can see, the discussion went exactly as expected...

Originally Posted by madRiver
Mazda is not jewelry to buying public and fully lacks the branding. Excellent vehicles but not a luxury maker. They are trying to get into the niche of the anti luxury brand but nice vehicles but basically inflating the sticker from base model by 50% and offering more content that does not cost that much. Every plebeian brand does it and well.

The CX-5 seems to keep Mazda afloat in USA which lacks financial backing to do much more and appeal widely. Hopefully USA it's profitable for them.

Agreed. Those plebs at BMW and MB are the absolute worst! Even in the same trim level you can add 25% to the cost of the vehicle with drop-down option menu!

Originally Posted by glock19
Soon we'll be comparing the CX-5 to motorcycles, boats, lawn mowers, etc...

Slap a mower deck underneath and I may consider buying one!

lol.gif

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by madRiver

Agreed. Those plebs at BMW and MB are the absolute worst! Even in the same trim level you can add 25% to the cost of the vehicle with drop-down option menu!

Yeah, but that's why they're the best car to buy used. Those extra options don't add to the price of car when they're used as they just go by the book value and there's only a few common options that add value. So when used car dealers price them, they just go by book. The main difference is that they sell quick when they have a lot of options. I sometimes tell friends to buy a particular model but they never do and it's usually sold in a few days. I got mine 3 days after it was listed and the other one was one day after it was listed. Meanwhile the basic ones or minimum options ones sit around a lot longer. Mine had about 10k worth of options. Most used cars had a couple options so usually just 3-4k over base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back