generic psf

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have 3 32 oz bottles of prestone psf sitting on my shelves id like to use up. Within my family the cars that could use new power steering fluid consist of a 2010 Toyota camry, 2004 ford f150, 2006 Lincoln town car, 2009 chevy impala and 2007 mazda 6. Are there any concerns with using these generic fluids for power steering systems? I know some vehicles call for transmission fluid to be used and if so could this be a usable substitute. When I first got my 94 b4000 the pump squealed pretty bad (typical ford) but after swapping with this it became unnoticeable.

Just read the owner's manual and use the generic PSF on anything that calls for basic PSF. If the manual calls for ATF use ATF in those.

Don't use it in anything Honda. The bottle is probably even labeled "For all major brands except Honda."

Originally Posted by RyanY
Just read the owner's manual and use the generic PSF on anything that calls for basic PSF. If the manual calls for ATF use ATF in those.

My Kia calls for PSF3 but I've been running ML ATF for over 2yrs now without issue. I'm not saying this would be suitable for all makes/models but for Kia/Hyundai ML works great... and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the OE stuff (which if I recall, is just a highly friction modified hydraulic fluid like an ATF)

Those cars can use generic fluids with no problem
smile.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I use MaxLife ATF in anything non-Honda that calls for a Dexron III equivalent. Seal swellers are just an added freebie
smile.gif

Conditioners not swellers. Another BITOG play on words.

Simple, correct and easy...

Originally Posted by mk378
Don't use it in anything Honda. "

Yep, just today I was talking with a friend with a Honda. He says he tried generic PSF and the steering was just not right. Drained the generic stuff, put in genuine Honda PSF and that cured the problem.

Originally Posted by berniedd
Originally Posted by mk378
Don't use it in anything Honda. "

Yep, just today I was talking with a friend with a Honda. He says he tried generic PSF and the steering was just not right. Drained the generic stuff, put in genuine Honda PSF and that cured the problem.

I second that. Use Honda compatible fluids for Honda. Doesn't matter if Honda brand, Carquest for Honda, or similar, but it must be listed as compatible. I currently use Lucas universal (the one that says "for all power steering systems, even Honda". It solves some sticking issues in my Honda and Cad (and I can just keep one bottle for all cars).

I currently use Lucas universal (the one that says "for all power steering systems, even Honda".

I would chance it and say you've probably made some other, better choices in your life than this one. Almost all Lucas products have already been proven to be substandard or even harmful to your machinery (entrapped air in oil). It's a simple viscosity and composition thing.... there are ZERO PSFs that are Dexron III compatible that meet the requirements of a Honda fluid. It's impossible by design; the specifications of each of those fluids are mutually exclusive. You cannot have a fluid that meets both specs simultaneously.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I currently use Lucas universal (the one that says "for all power steering systems, even Honda".

I would chance it and say you've probably made some other, better choices in your life than this one. Almost all Lucas products have already been proven to be substandard or even harmful to your machinery (entrapped air in oil). It's a simple viscosity and composition thing.... there are ZERO PSFs that are Dexron III compatible that meet the requirements of a Honda fluid. It's impossible by design; the specifications of each of those fluids are mutually exclusive. You cannot have a fluid that meets both specs simultaneously.

LOL lots of bad choices over the years along with a few good ones! However this choice seems to be a good one (or at least, good enough). Now, I dont really believe Lucas's claim that this PSF is appropriate for all cars, but it seems to work well in my cars. Both cars had the same problem - a catch or "stick" while turning - and I tried new fluid per the owners manual recommendation first (Honda OEM) followed by compatible fluid. Neither OEM fluid nor Prestone Asian helped the Odyssey. After another year of dealing with the sub-par steering and complaining numerous times at the Honda service dept, a friend recommended Lucas. I decided to try it, and was impressed that the steering smoothed out nicely within a few days. I then had similar results in the Cadillac after basic GM compatible fluid and Maxlife PS fluid failed to correct the problem. From this series of trial and error I concluded that Lucas worked better than the others. I can't say whether it is appropriate for any other applications or how it compares to other universals like Lubegard or Amsoil, but I have no complaints st this point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back