Battery running down in your car? Possible solution for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have issues with your battery draining during long periods of storage you might want to try to see if you have "transport mode" enabled on your vehicle. GM vehicles 2015 and newer have this option, it's made to reduce parasitic drain during shipping.

Steps to enable transport mode:

1. Depress the brake pedal
2. Turn on hazard lights
3. Start the car and continue holding the start button until you get a transport mode message or your battery light starts blinking

Use the same steps to turn off transport mode.

What is the downside? To reduce battery drain some features must stop working. The radio memory, the keyless entry, stuff like that?

a quick disconnect for about $15 works well, just screw or unscrew the knob! of course many presets are gone.

Hmmm, you're saying that this feature is on 2015 & newer GM vehicles?
And this procedure(transport mode) is to be enabled when the vehicle is in storage or not being used often?

My SIL has a 2014 GMC Terrain 2.4L AWD and the OE battery often goes dead for seemingly no reason. No corrosion on the battery posts. A jump start and it's fine for week or even months. She works at home and does indeed use the vehicle during the week even if only for short trips.

However, she did have an aftermarket remote engine start installed when the Terrain was new. Her particular Terrain trim level didn't come with an RES from the factory for some reason.

I blame the RES for the gremlins as there seem to be other issues as well such as, dash lights flashing/disappearing temporarily but often(when it does happen).

I'd be curious to try this procedure in her Terrain just for luck?

Last edited:
I have removed the bulbs / lamps for the under hood and trunk lites , just in case . On our Caprice , that seldom gets driven .

I agree , if this was a persistent problem , I would either hook up a trickle charger or install a battery disconnect .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back