I'm a GM oil life monitor believer

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Don't most vehicles have a low oil warning light?

I'd say more don't than do have it.

Originally Posted by oldhp
GM recalibrated the OLM on my 2012 Equinox 2.4. I don't remember exactly but you could tell the oil life went down way faster.

I suppose I had the same engine in my 2011 Regal. The OLM on that was pretty conservative, and was still at 25% oil life left when I would change at 6 months/4800 miles.

It's still too early to tell much, but the OLM in the 3.6-powered LaCrosse was at 98% when I bought the car, 88% 3 weeks and about 700 miles later. So if it tends to drop about 10% every 20 days, it would work out at 18% left after 5.3 months/4800 miles. I'm guessing a 5-month OCI will be about right.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

I could have sworn my 93 Aerostar and 00 Century had it. I remember seeing an oil can in the dash lights light up for a second every time I started the engine, but they are long gone. Next time I start one of my Jeeps I'll take a look.

Edit: I found the Century OM, it had a low oil warning light.

Last edited:
On my 08 Lucerne I'm right at 5 months and 1000 miles and the OLM says 78%. Mine has the 3800 in it. I plan on going a year but we'll see how the OLM handles the winter.

Last edited:
FWIW my wife had a 2012 Equinox 2.4 and it had a recall to get the OLM recalibrated. I changed the oil every 3,000 miles so I never had any issues w/oil consumption and timing chains or whatever else there were problems with.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Originally Posted by Charlie2015
GM's typically have issues when people run the engines low on oil. The OLM does not account for oil consumption. I have seen a lot of 3.6L (CTS/ATS & Camaro) and 2.4L ecotec (Equinox) timing chain issues from running low on oil. The common consumer can run the OLM down to 0% as long as they keep the oil level full and probably never have an issue. How many people can actually read a dipstick or even know how to check the oil level (engine off and on level ground)?

Sorry Charlie, but the ILM system on our fleet trucks includes an oil level sensor as well. The indicator will flash or the info screen will alert you to needing to add oil.

So you're saying it adjusts the oil life based on the fact that it was run low on oil? I kind of doubt that and assumed it's just telling you that you're low on oil (doesn't come on until you're close to 2qts down in the gm trucks I've got experience with) but if you have information proving it does that would be interesting.

When I worked the express lube most of these vehicles came in with the low oil level warning lit up and they didn't do anything about it but plan to get an oil change within the next few weeks.

So in my opinion, running it low on oil will affect the oil life, but I really doubt it affects how soon the oil life monitor drops.

Please re-read my post. I simply said the indicator will flash if you are low on oil. Flashing is the key here, as it may possibly attract even the dullest driver's attention. Nothing I have said or read online indicates that low oil level will affect the algorithm.

I think you need to re read your own post. You said sorry Charlie you're wrong in response to his statement that the olm doesn't take into account oil consumption. As I said in case you missed it (look up exactly 20 lines and read it again) people ignore the fact that their oil level is low and still run them down to 0% oil life.

Nobody said there was no warning about low oil level. I pointed out that it doesn't say anything until you're 2qts low (at least on the trucks).

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

I could have sworn my 93 Aerostar and 00 Century had it. I remember seeing an oil can in the dash lights light up for a second every time I started the engine, but they are long gone. Next time I start one of my Jeeps I'll take a look.

I know the century would have it, I doubt it on the aerostar, I don't recall most Ford's having it in that era. My girlfriend's 2013 Sonata doesn't.

The "oil can" light typically is/was used for low oil pressure, not low oil level. Yes, low oil level will normally result in low pressure (I think) but you can have a proper amount of oil, the oil pump not working properly or even fail and that will result in low oil pressure and the light turning on.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

The "oil can" light typically is/was used for low oil pressure, not low oil level. Yes, low oil level will normally result in low pressure (I think) but you can have a proper amount of oil, the oil pump not working properly or even fail and that will result in low oil pressure and the light turning on.

According to the owner's manual the 2000 Buick Century I mentioned actually had two oil lights, a low level and a low oil pressure light.

Last edited:
According to the owner's manual the 2000 Buick Century I mentioned actually had two oil lights, a low level and a low oil pressure light.

If auto makers are smart, they would have both. My Z06 has both. But most of the vehicles I've owned only had an oil pressure gauge or a dummy warning light.

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
Originally Posted by oldhp
GM recalibrated the OLM on my 2012 Equinox 2.4. I don't remember exactly but you could tell the oil life went down way faster.

I suppose I had the same engine in my 2011 Regal. The OLM on that was pretty conservative, and was still at 25% oil life left when I would change at 6 months/4800 miles.

It's still too early to tell much, but the OLM in the 3.6-powered LaCrosse was at 98% when I bought the car, 88% 3 weeks and about 700 miles later. So if it tends to drop about 10% every 20 days, it would work out at 18% left after 5.3 months/4800 miles. I'm guessing a 5-month OCI will be about right.

Update,

I had the oil changed on Jan. 2 of this year to a full-synth 5W-30 Dexos, and reset the OLM. Today (March 5), after nearly 1600 miles (I don't drive much here) and 2 months, the OLM hit 66% oil life left. I'd expect then that I could approach 6 months/4800 miles before I hit 0%. For this early stage of the game with this car, as I said above, I'll probably make it 5 months/4000 and have a UOA done.

Most of my driving has been city with some highway mixed in, but no long road trips or all-day drives.

It seems to be docking you for time and short trips.

Thousands of oil changes used to happen at 3 months regardless of mileage. In fact, just a few months back I inserted myself into a conversation at Walmart when a young employee tried to get a guy to change low mileage PP … and the guy kept mentioning his OLM considering time and habits.
Owner seemed to like my intervention and stuck with getting tires only.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
On my 08 Lucerne I'm right at 5 months and 1000 miles and the OLM says 78%. Mine has the 3800 in it. I plan on going a year but we'll see how the OLM handles the winter.

I'm about 10.5 months in on the OC and have 2100 miles and the OLM is at 48%. So the first 5 months (summer) it dropped 22% and the next 5 months it dropped 30% so it did take into account my winter habits, letting it warm up a lot.

Can't speak for GM (other than my Cobalt SS Turbo) but on my 2018 Explorer XLT, I had changed the oil in the spring and reset the OLM, and basically parked it for the summer. When I went to drive it in the fall, it said my oil life was 0% even though I never started it or turned it on (had a maintainer on the battery). This is the first time I've seen this happen before on a Ford. Normally they are consistent, with 7500-9000 mile intervals on my SHO, which seems high to me given that GTDI can be hard on the oil.

My first OLM dash-flash in my then-new 2004 Chevy Colorado came on at 13.2K. I had already done two oil changes at 10K and was half-way to my 3rd oil change. The vehicle was approximately 1-3/4 years old (early 2006) when the first notice came on.

Wow. So much controversy.

My 1989 Cadillac had an OLM, which I followed. Seemed to max out around 7500 miles in the summer. I sold the car with 260k on it.

Clearly, the OLM worked for that car. Can't imagine it would be worse for vehicles 30 years newer.

Never used my OLM's on any of our vehicles, 5K is my routine for oil changes.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by metroplex
Can't speak for GM (other than my Cobalt SS Turbo) but on my 2018 Explorer XLT, I had changed the oil in the spring and reset the OLM, and basically parked it for the summer. When I went to drive it in the fall, it said my oil life was 0% even though I never started it or turned it on (had a maintainer on the battery). This is the first time I've seen this happen before on a Ford. Normally they are consistent, with 7500-9000 mile intervals on my SHO, which seems high to me given that GTDI can be hard on the oil.

Our 2017 Explorer XLT counts down 10% for every 1,000 miles driven, no matter the season or type of driving. It's been doing this since new. The last UOA was at 8,200 miles, 5 months, and came back great on Mobil 1 5W-30, the iOLM was at 20%.

Whimsey

Back