The inner workings of a 6R140 transmission

No, I've never seen a problem with the range sensor, i don't even change them on an overhaul. It's one of those things I've never seen go bad even with HUGE hours and miles. If it's a problem with reverse only it could be a problem with the direct clutch solenoid, the direct clutch, the low reverse solenoid, or the low/reverse clutch. There are reverse piston updates doethe earlier trucks. Is there any codes or is the tow/haul light flashing?

What year is the truck? And is the truck tuned? If it's an early 2011 they had some solenoid issues other wise the failure is rare.

Last edited:
Thanks a million Mattd for an excellent post. As someone has already stated it nice to see a post like this that's loaded with tons of good info and not a post of BS from guys who don't know jack about their posting....question for ya
I own a F250 with the new 6R100 are there any common issues with the 6R140 that you know about ?
Again thanks for great info !!ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by daved5150
The reason I believe they are going with more gears is to try to get as much mileage out of the New trucks as possible. With more gears, the engine stays in the power band and uses less fuel because the 6.7 doesn't have to work so hard because of less RPM drop. Just my 2 cents. But my 16 feels pretty good with the 6 speed box. I do wonder how it would roll with 2 extra gears though...
the line?
grin.gif

Originally Posted by daved5150

I bought an extended warranty for my truck, 7 year or 125k mile, thinking that would extend the emissions warranty. WRONG. I found out the emissions warranty only goes to 50k. What a kick in the b*lls. It is what it is. I really haven't discussed it yet with my dealer. I'm doing research now on deleting. Down the line, if start having any emissions related problems, I plan deleting. While I do like the truck as it is, stock, I wouldn't do it to add huge power or blow black smoke. Those coal rollers are idiots. They give all diesel truck owners a bad image. I would do it to gain engine reliability and hopefully gain some MPG.

The funny part is that an Allison automatic for a bus/garbage truck currently only has 6 gears, but their new torque converter based "automatic" with gears like a manual has 10 speeds. Rumor has it that besides the new 10-speed HD Ford tranny, GM is releasing an Allison "branded" 9-speed which isn't at all built by Allison. If big rigs and tour buses are using AMTs like the ZF ASTronic or one of the Detroit/Mercedes or Eaton ones, why can't a heavy-duty diesel pickup? The Allison TC10 is almost like a Honda automatic in how it operates.

While I do like clean air, I think some of the emissions controls for diesel engines need the truck to be driven regularly(on the highway) to avoid regen loops or lockouts and EGR on a diesel can cause more harm than good by introducing more particulate in the oil. I don't own a diesel and if I ever did, I'd be keeping tabs and doing appropriate tweaks to improve reliability. While states adopting California emissions standards also require cars to carry a 10/100K emissions warranty, looks like trucks don't have that same coverage. I understand why diesel truck owners love their trucks and have a diesel - they actually haul and do work. Not to roll coal to show off their insecurities.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Thanks a million Mattd for an excellent post. As someone has already stated it nice to see a post like this that's loaded with tons of good info and not a post of BS from guys who don't know jack about their posting....question for ya
I own a F250 with the new 6R100 are there any common issues with the 6R140 that you know about ?

There is no such thing as a 6R100. They used he 6R140 from 2011 to 2019. In 2020 MY there will be the 10R140.

Originally Posted by mattd

There is no such thing as a 6R100. They used he 6R140 from 2011 to 2019. In 2020 MY there will be the 10R140.

There is, but it looks like maybe not behind a diesel.

Certainly is
Got one bolt to the back of my 6.2

Interesting. Didn't realize they called the gas units something different. It must be the 6R140 with a few hard part differences and clutch count which would make sense because of the reduced torque rating. All the units I do are behind diesels. They probably have the same weakness as the 6R140 which is the overdrive clutch. There are fixes for it that involve a better designed clutch piston, higher clutch count and if desired a billet clutch drum. The frictions from the factory are also a joke. There is very little surface area

Last edited:
Interesting. Didn't realize they called the gas units something different. It must be the 6R140 with a few hard part differences and clutch count which would make sense because of the reduced torque rating. All the units I do are behind diesels. They probably have the same weakness as the 6R140 which is the overdrive clutch. There are fixes for it that involve a better designed clutch piston, higher clutch count and if desired a billet clutch drum.

In your professional opinion do you think the gas version may survive longer with less tq from the gas motor ?

I have not had a gas unit apart but less input torque gives it a better chance. It depends what exactly was changed to reduce the torque rating from 1400 ft lbs to 1000.

Some very brief research shows that it's only in the 6.2 in the 2017+ F250 which is why I haven't heard of it yet and was confused. It seems that it's a reworked 6R80 which is a different transmission entirely

Last edited:
Appreciate your info on these transmissions. My 2014 F550 is at 28,600 miles or so...might consider transmission fluid change sooner rather than later. For now, hoping my second upper oil pan leak holds. Take care mattd.

Some very brief research shows that it's only in the 6.2 in the 2017+ F250 which is why I haven't heard of it yet and was confused. It seems that it's a reworked 6R80 which is a different transmission entirely

Gotcha
What's your take on the 6R80 ?

No, I've never seen a problem with the range sensor, i don't even change them on an overhaul. It's one of those things I've never seen go bad even with HUGE hours and miles. If it's a problem with reverse only it could be a problem with the direct clutch solenoid, the direct clutch, the low reverse solenoid, or the low/reverse clutch. There are reverse piston updates doethe earlier trucks. Is there any codes or is the tow/haul light flashing?

What year is the truck? And is the truck tuned? If it's an early 2011 they had some solenoid issues other wise the failure is rare.

Thanks. I'll get back to you on this. Appreciate the input.

Here's the post that started his thread:

Reverse issue
Anyone ever had issues with with putting truck into reverse and it not actually shifting? It's happened twice to me in the last month. 2 years with no issues. Actually the first time it happened to my wife I figured she just didn't get it into gear. But today after driving around for about a half an hour I was backing into a parking spot and it did not go into reverse till I revved it and put my hand on the shifter at the same time so I'm not sure if it was the rev or the touching of the shifter that made it go into gear. There is no slop in the shifter. So mechanically it should be ok but is there an electrical sensor on the column that tells it to go in reverse maybe that's dirty? Here's a little more info. The truck is a 2012. It had 65k on it when I bought it. Tranny fluid looked and smelled good at time. Just hit 90k and did tranny filter and pan dump about a month ago but I can't remember if it was before or after my wife had the issue with it. Not sure if tranny service had ever been done before I owned it. Of the 25k I have put on it about 6k has been towing my 5th wheel at about 10k lbs. Truck is not lifted. Sitting on 35x12.50s. Deleted dpf with h&s mini max about 4 months ago at 85k. Drove around on h&s tranny tune for about 2 days for 200 miles but hated the hard shifts. Went back to stock tranny tune at that time. Truck has shifted harder than before ever since then but compared to tune settings its allot better. 99.9percent of the time it's on the stock setting and I don't push the truck very hard. It has been in the tow tune once for about 40 miles while towing. It has been in the street setting maybe 4 times for a grand total of about 2 miles and on the performance setting maybe 3 times for maybe a total of a mile. Is there anything you all can thing of that I should look for? Worn out bushing on linkage? Sensor? Loose bolts? It has been put back into reverse probably 25 times since it screwed up earlier today with no issue and probably several hundred times since it screwed up for my wife. Also when I replaced the filter I was not sure of the torque spec for the screws that hold it in I just know that it's not allot so I didn't tighten them up very much just snugged them, one of them goes right through the valve body right in the middle of the shift solenoids. I would think if that was the issue then it would be happening much more often or all the time. I believe that the back up camera is powered from the same circuit as the reverse lights, I maybe wrong idk and I'm not sure where the power for that comes from I'm guessing it would be from somewhere on the column. But does anyone know what powers the reverse solenoid or how many are used in reverse or if it's even one of the ones by the screw that holds the filter in?

Here's his second post:

Just spoke with my wife and she believes it was about 2 to 3 weeks ago when it happened so that would have been after the tranny's service. And she got it into reverse by shifting it back into drive then back into reverse. She said she tried revving it but that didn't work.

If the "R" was lit up when it didn't move then the linkaged moved enough to put it in reverse. There is nothing on the column other than the Interlock solenoid but that has nothing to do with reverse. I would tel him to check the shifter cable bushings and make sure the linkage is secure to the manual lever on the side of the trans. If it didn't go into reverse and the TCM commanded it and didn't see the shift complete, it SHOULD throw a code. The filter should be 89 inch lbs I will check when I get back to work to be sure.

Last edited:
If the "R" was lit up when it didn't move then the linkaged moved enough to put it in reverse. There is nothing on the column other than the Interlock solenoid but that has nothing to do with reverse. I would tel him to check the shifter cable bushings and make sure the linkage is secure to the manual lever on the side of the trans. If it didn't go into reverse and the TCM commanded it and didn't see the shift complete, it SHOULD throw a code. The filter should be 89 inch lbs I will check when I get back to work to be sure.

Thanks. I'll post this up and see if the dude responds. I also linked to this as well. Appreciate it..

Hey Matt. Awesome thread! Great pics. I'm wondering if you could help me with a problem I'm having with my 6r140. It's from a 2011. I'm getting a high pitch whine noise only in 4th gear during mild acceleration and it increases in pitch as rpms increase. It's not super loud and not everyone can hear but I'm starting to worry. Gets worse once tranny is warm. Before I started throwing money at it, I took it by a dealer to see what they said. They think it's the torque converter and recommended a torque converter replacement or full tranny replacement. If they were positive it was the torque converter, why would they recommended a full tranny rebuild, seems weird. Wondering if you could give me some pointers to figure out if this is actually a torque converter problem or maybe a pump problem or gearing problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Matt I have 11 6.7 with the 6r140 tranny. Lately it has been acting weird. I’m in Utah and When it’s cold a lot of times I put the transmission is drive or reverse and it will either go a little bit then act like it’s in neutral or it won’t engage at all. I will cycle through all the gears a few times then it usually starts to work. I have also noticed my fuel mileage has gone down quite a bit. The truck is 4x4 and has 148k miles. 2 years ago the flywheel had done missing teeth so I had it replaced with a suncoast billet flywheel I also had a new oem torque converter installed because the 11 tc was different bolt pattern for flywheel. The truck doesn’t pull heavy loads often and is deleted and tuned with auto agent. I have reset the KAM and it didn’t help, I never used the tcm tunes on tuner but I tried a few since the problem started and it hasn’t made a difference. The problem seems to be getting worse and happening more often. Sometimes I’ll be driving through the neighborhood and it will act like it’s in neutral. Also I noticed if I switch it to manual it doesn’t show the gear numbers while the problem is happening. Thanks

Back