Mazda CX-5, the best luxury SUV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Alfred_B
It looks like Mazda CX-5 is the best luxury SUV. I am getting tired of my Mercedes GLS-550.

Should I consider CX-5 as my next car if the 0-60 speed is comparable?

Now, if you compare to GLC AMG, well....
lol.gif

Originally Posted by skyactiv
My dad owns a 2019 F-Pace with the supercharged V6. The interior should be better than it is
Agreed on that point. I looked into Jag XE a couple of years ago, and came away unimpressed for a number of reasons, but cheap looking interior was one of them. A 3-series has a nicer interior than the XE, IMO.

In the end, I dropped my "nice interior" requirement in exchange for other things, but in the segment where Jag is competing, they need to do better.

As others have mentioned, the CX-5 is not a luxury vehicle. It does not actually compete with the luxury compact CUV segment such as BMW, MB, Audi, Acura, Volvo etc.

However, it is more premium in its category of mainstream RAV4s, CR-Vs. Equinox's/Terrains, Escapes and most if not all of the mainstream compact CUV segment even though the CX-5 may compete or even outshine the next segment up, in certain areas.

And being more premium is where Mazda has placed their vehicles in their own respective segments due to not having a specific luxury brand that MAZDA had once talked about...AMITY, quite some years ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
As others have mentioned, the CX-5 is not a luxury vehicle. It does not actually compete with the luxury compact CUV segment such as BMW, MB, Audi, Acura, Volvo etc.

However, it is more premium in its category of mainstream RAV4s, CR-Vs. Equinox's/Terrains, Escapes and most if not all of the mainstream compact CUV segment even though the CX-5 may compete or even outshine the next segment up, in certain areas.

And being more premium is where Mazda has placed their vehicles in their own respective segments due to not having a specific luxury brand that MAZDA had once talked about...AMITY, quite some years ago.

Yeah, it actually does compete with the RDX, GLC300, Q5, XC40, and X3. Its middle of the pack for features and performance, but undercuts them significantly in price. Total sleeper in the segment. This is in GTR and SG trim. In the lower trims, yeah, it's kindof in no mans land somewhere lost between rav and the next segment up.

However...OP is talking like, 3 segments above this, lol!

Last edited:
CX-5 is too small to be a luxury SUV, but this allows lower price and higher fuel economy. Those should be the primary reasons to choose it, and then, it seems pointless to think in terms of 0-60 times as this goes contrary to fuel economy and lower price (due to ragging it out then higher repairs). Do you really drive with your pedal to the floor, ever on public roads? The last time I had to, was in an underpowered econobox many years ago, not with a modern vehicle.

CX-5 isn't even an SUV by almost any standard let alone luxury of utility, but I digress.

Not everyone needs all that nor a big SUV. It could be perfect for your needs instead of wasting money on something bigger and fancier, but there's no getting around a smaller vehicle doing worse in a vehicle-vehicle crash, all else equal. There's no question it will handle better than any big, true SUV.

Originally Posted by Dave9
CX-5 is too small to be a luxury SUV, but this allows lower price and higher fuel economy. Those should be the primary reasons to choose it, and then, it seems pointless to think in terms of 0-60 times as this goes contrary to fuel economy and lower price (due to ragging it out then higher repairs). Do you really drive with your pedal to the floor, ever on public roads? The last time I had to, was in an underpowered econobox many years ago, not with a modern vehicle.

CX-5 isn't even an SUV by almost any standard let alone luxury of utility, but I digress.

Not everyone needs all that nor a big SUV. It could be perfect for your needs instead of wasting money on something bigger and fancier, but there's no getting around a smaller vehicle doing worse in a vehicle-vehicle crash, all else equal. There's no question it will handle better than any big, true SUV.

Does this mean that the BMW X4M isn't a luxury SUV, either?
Can we apply this to cars and also come to the conclusion that the Lexus SC430 wasn't a luxury car?

Also, Ironically, I get better mpg in my CX5 turbo than I did in my CX5 non-turbo.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Can we apply this to cars and also come to the conclusion that the Lexus SC430 wasn't a luxury car?

Also, Ironically, I get better mpg in my CX5 turbo than I did in my CX5 non-turbo.

Lexus SC430 was declared by Top Gear as worst vehicle in the world. And it is truly miserable vehicle.
There is nothing ironical about 2.5T having better MPG. It handles weight better.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Drive one of these

[Linked Image from media.ed.edmunds-media.com]

Buy American....stop supporting snobby elitists....

A ROLLS ROYCE TO A YUGO REPRESENTS THE TOP TO THE BOTTOM. Everything else is between those two. There is a grey area as to what is luxury and much is what appeals to you. JMO.. Ed

The PRESS can match up any vehicles that they want in a comparison test. It's the manufacture who determines what segment a vehicle will compete in, not the PRESS nor the public. And I think that Mazda is currently sitting between two segments.

Yes, I too believe that the CX-5 can compete with some of the luxury segment compact CUVs in many areas of luxury & performance. And I think that this is where Mazda is headed in the future.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Not sure what about a Mazda is "luxury."

Agree 100% CX5 is a very nice small SUV and I would buy it without any hesitation, but would not call it "Luxury"
Now if one comes from a 15 yo unit then perhaps it could be that
21.gif

Originally Posted by Ws6

Yeah, it actually does compete with the RDX, GLC300, Q5, XC40, and X3. Its middle of the pack for features and performance, but undercuts them significantly in price. Total sleeper in the segment. This is in GTR and SG trim. In the lower trims, yeah, it's kindof in no mans land somewhere lost between rav and the next segment up.

That is not the point of luxury segment.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Ws6

Lexus SC430 was declared by Top Gear as worst vehicle in the world. And it is truly miserable vehicle.
There is nothing ironical about 2.5T having better MPG. It handles weight better.

What!? but it has a longitudinal engine! #HallmarkOfLuxury

Originally Posted by Ws6

#OnlyMaybachisLuxury
#BentlyOrBust
#RollARollsYouPoor

Lol, seriously, if you can offer similar features and better or equal build quality for less, then yeah, that IS the name of the game in consumerism/capitalism. Mazda delivers. The Volvo is a numb and boring vehicle, the CX5 turbo is engaging. The Volvo has a bit nicer interior. The Mazda is nicer to drive. It really does boil down to "pick your poison" between the two, but the Mazda manages the equation for $10K less...and that matters.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

#OnlyMaybachisLuxury
#BentlyOrBust
#RollARollsYouPoor

Lol, seriously, if you can offer similar features and better or equal build quality for less, then yeah, that IS the name of the game in consumerism/capitalism. Mazda delivers. The Volvo is a numb and boring vehicle, the CX5 turbo is engaging. The Volvo has a bit nicer interior. The Mazda is nicer to drive. It really does boil down to "pick your poison" between the two, but the Mazda manages the equation for $10K less...and that matters.

Tell us more about why you bought CX5, we do not have a clue.
However, both vehicles pale in comparison to GLC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MParr
The Mazda CX-5 isn't what I would consider a luxury SUV or luxury CUV, for that matter. Here's something that is similar in size to the CX-5.
https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-crossovers/mkc/
https://www.cadillac.com/suvs/preceding-year/xt4

XT4 is a horrible choice, IMO. The 7.5 second 0-60 time is atrocious when everyone else is pushing low 6's except MB's GLC300. IT does deliver on the infotainment, etc. but that performance is pretty horrible and I'd be loath to spend $50k on it at that.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by MParr
The Mazda CX-5 isn't what I would consider a luxury SUV or luxury CUV, for that matter. Here's something that is similar in size to the CX-5.
https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-crossovers/mkc/
https://www.cadillac.com/suvs/preceding-year/xt4

XT4 is a horrible choice, IMO. The 7.5 second 0-60 time is atrocious when everyone else is pushing low 6's except MB's GLC300. IT does deliver on the infotainment, etc. but that performance is pretty horrible and I'd be loath to spend $50k on it at that.

When teenagers are targeted customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back