Are Toyota RAV4s reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by billt460
Is that mileage right? (316,463 mi.) If it is, I would keep looking. Toyota RAV-4's are a dime a dozen.

+1 offer them $300 for the car. I'm sure the trade in value was about that much.

At that mileage a lot of items will need replacing sooner rather than later. Could become a money pit real fast especially if you cannot DIY repairs.

Don't buy it without looking at it and driving it. If it drives good run the wheels off it. Those Toyotas will last if properly maintained and that one probably has mostly highway miles on it.

Yes. And no. It's a Toyota, so that means (statistically) higher reliability. But anything can be abused. Just like anything else.

Over 300k on the clock? Not worth $3,500! Running AWD CUV with no known problems, maybe $1,500, I could see $2k perhaps, but that's out the door price. That's a lot of miles. I'd pay half that with the hopes of getting say 20-40k out of it, you know, 2 or maybe 3 years of life--but as a typical beater car. You know, buy, get a few years, toss. Lather rinse repeat. At $3k I'd rather buy a FWD sedan with less miles.

I'm kinda surprised, 2009 would have had the 2.4L (I don't see any V6 badges), and those tended to have problems (head gaskets and oil burning in the Camry's, oil burning in the RAV4). For that reason alone I'd probably avoid this one.

^^^Right, I too know people that have put on 300K miles and have had owned few vehicles that I put on 250K-350KL miles but, would you buy one with that many miles already on it?

I had a 2006 RAV6 AWD that needed a very expensive AWD repair just past 60,000 miles...the shop that did the work claimed that the system transferred power too abruptly to the rear when the fronts slipped and caused the kind of crack I had that was leaking tranny fluid.
The problem was supposed to be much more likely to occur with the V6, though...they had customers who had damage just from the front wheels slipping on wet stop lines.
My repair held until 160,000 miles when I traded the car in, but I would still shy away from the vehicle in the OP (even though it is a 4 cylinder).

Originally Posted by kschachn
Why not look for something back in New Jersey rather than drive all the way to Tennessee?

Probably trying to avoid rust.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
3500$ for a car with 316k miles???? Keep saving up, absolutely horrible option.
+1
They are out of their minds on the price. I suspect that they are trying to recoup the money they spent getting it ready to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back