Recommendation for Lexus RX350

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, new poster here.

I'm looking for a recommendation on an oil and filter combo for my 2010 Lexus RX350. The car has 73,000 miles. I live in Texas and drive mostly city or highway traffic. I recently bought the car so it's the first time I'll need to buy 0W-20 weight oil.

I was considering going with the Toyota genuine oil and the Toyota filter, but there's lots of options.

Is this a good choice or does another one stand out for this car and my driving conditions? Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Havoline, Valvoline?

Thanks for the advice.

Welcome to BITOG! Indeed there are many great options. I assume its the same V6 widely used in the Venza. In which case, you can use regular fuel instead of premium (works out to 268hp instead of 270..) the venza recommends reg fuel whereas the Rx350 says premium. What you will get here are personal opinions that vary. I have a Venza with the same engine snd so far am doing dealer changes. I have used Pennzoil, Mobil and Castrol products with great success. Choose whatever you like in 0w20 and go with it. (Others will suggest going with a thicker oil.. Good luck to whatever you choose!

Indeed, you can use any oil & filter combo that you'd like in you RX, they're not fussy! 0W20 oils are really well made these day and recommended. People have their favorites as do I and you will too.

However, use the oil temperature guide in the owner's manual as well as this will help you decide what other oils you can use for your Texas temps if any other grades are allowed such as 0W30, 5W30 etc.

Originally Posted by txtroop08
I'm looking for a recommendation on an oil and filter combo for my 2010 Lexus RX350. The car has 73,000 miles. I live in Texas and drive mostly city or highway traffic. I recently bought the car so it's the first time I'll need to buy 0W-20 weight oil.
I was considering going with the Toyota genuine oil and the Toyota filter, but there's lots of options.
Is this a good choice or does another one stand out for this car and my driving conditions? Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Havoline, Valvoline?
Thanks for the advice.

The Toyota oil is a great oil at an excellent price range! The oil filter OTOH IMO is very flimsy and on my Lexus RX350 I'm using the toyota TRD equivalent, night & day in the difference of quality. The reg filter here in Ontario is $6 the TRD is $25.

Welcome. Do you know the service history of the vehicle? Did it receive regular oil changes? If it did, I'd use any name brand 0w-20 synthetic that's on sale. If your part of TX has mild winters, you may consider using a 5w-20 instead. Toyota filters now are sold at most Walmarts. Also consider a Fram Ultra, recently redesigned for 20K mile use. Personally I'd like to find a well maintained 2015 or 2016 GS350 for myself.

Welcome to Bitog. Congrats on the RX350. They are a nice machine. If I was going to buy an SUV, that's the one I'd be looking at.

I think you can run whatever 0W-20 that you prefer. I like Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra, but you can't go wrong.

For oil filters, I would check out the selection on Rockauto. Most of us on Bitog prefer the Fram Ultra. Run it for 2 or more OCI.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/lexus,2010,rx350,3.5l+v6,1444184,engine,oil+filter,5340

Originally Posted by Rolla07
I assume its the same V6 widely used in the Venza. In which case, you can use regular fuel instead of premium (works out to 268hp instead of 270..) the venza recommends reg fuel whereas the Rx350 says premium.

I believe 2011 was the last year that Lexus said that premium fuel was required for the RX350. I have run regular and seem to get better gas mileage with it, although perceive slightly less torque and rougher idle. Can I get authoritative confirmation that they didn't make any change in the engine between 2011 and 2012?

if it's tuned for premium, run premium. I would use M1 10W-30 in TX. Watch the air filter, it is more important than the oil filter.

Originally Posted by Y_K
...I would use M1 a good synthetic 10W-30 in TX.

Fixed it for you.

Filter depends on OCI and personal preference. Ultra is very good but if a cartridge there have been some that have collapsed (not sure if for your engine or not)

Originally Posted by Pelican
Thanks for the advice.

The Toyota oil is a great oil at an excellent price range! The oil filter OTOH IMO is very flimsy and on my Lexus RX350 I'm using the toyota TRD equivalent, night & day in the difference of quality. The reg filter here in Ontario is $6 the TRD is $25.

Thanks for the advice. Do you know the TRD filter part number that is the equivalent? It takes the YZZA1 for the standard Toyota filter. If I know which one to buy I can pick it up from the Toyota dealer right near my house. I will probably grab the oil there as well.

I like to buy NAPA synthetic when it's on sale but any 0W20 you buy at Walmart or at a parts store will be high quality. Just buy one on sale and any name brand oil filter is better than what your engine needs you will be in good shape to use any.

Thanks for the advice.

There are many choices but I doubt you will do any better than Toyota Oil and Filter from a Toyota or Lexus dealer. Be careful for copycats online.

Originally Posted by Pelican
Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the advice. Do you know the TRD filter part number that is the equivalent? It takes the YZZA1 for the standard Toyota filter. If I know which one to buy I can pick it up from the Toyota dealer right near my house. I will probably grab the oil there as well.

Run YZZA1. Go to link I posted. It did excellent in 10k.
Also, TGMO (Toyota) is nothing special. You can run in that engine pretty much anything, from 0W20 to 20W50. I choose 5W30. Remember, 0W20 is recommended ONLY due to CAFE requirements. UOA I did on 10K using Mobil1 5W30 EP showed excellent results. You have same engine in that Lexus.

Don't listen to the guy who says Toyota oem filters are flimsy, that's ridiculous. He's also recommending a high priced TRD filter which is way over priced and total overkill. In Texas I would use a name brand 5w30 and the Toyota filter or maybe a Fram Tough guard for 10k mile oci's or less if you don't feel comfortable with the oem interval. Good luck.

Originally Posted by madeej11
Don't listen to the guy who says Toyota oem filters are flimsy, that's ridiculous. He's also recommending a high priced TRD filter which is way over priced and total overkill. In Texas I would use a name brand 5w30 and the Toyota filter or maybe a Fram Tough guard for 10k mile oci's or less if you don't feel comfortable with the oem interval. Good luck.

Thanks. I agree. Nothing wrong with the oem Toyota filters.

I bought the TRD because I figured I would give it a try. 10 extra bucks, no big deal.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back