How many people are running oil filters for multiple intervals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Joenpb
People are better off sticking to OEM specifications as opposed to advocating what they "think" is best.

Some OEM specs say to run the oil filter for 2 OCIs. And some of those are based on an OLM which could put 15K to 20K miles on the filter.

I do with filters designed to go 15k or more (up to 12k miles) BUT it's not based on claims it's based on cutting every last one I've tried it on open after a normal interval only to find out they still looked brand new.

I have seen cars go on the same oil filter for 11,000 miles. Even though it is a bad idea to go that long most of them last that long. So they don't get too dirty you should change them every oil change. Some people say to change the oil every three thousand miles, and some people say every five thousand miles. Since that argument can still float around for over 70 years now I just day to do it every four thousand miles.

1992 Pontiac Bonneville- 10w30

I do on my Terrano 2. This truck is used for off road/overland trips and for that reason I've reduced OCI to only 5k km, from factory 10k km. No point in changing the filter at this rate so I use either MAHLE or Mann- this time I've used Filton (made for MANN Hummel) every 10k.

I change my filter every 3rd oil change because it is a pain in the @$$ to remove since the oil pan is contoured around the filter and the bell housing is butted against it.

Originally Posted by Linctex
My 50,000 mile Fram Tough Guard is almost ready! (it is at 49,000 miles now)

Thread of the year candidate.

Three possible outcomes ...

1) Filter looks ok.

2) Filter looks ok, but has been in by-pass for 10's of thousands of miles, and really hasn't FILTERED anything.

3) Filter media is MUSH, and is now spread throughout the engine ...

???

Originally Posted by geeman789

Three possible outcomes ...

1) Filter looks ok.

2) Filter looks ok, but has been in by-pass for 10's of thousands of miles, and really hasn't FILTERED anything.

3) Filter media is MUSH, and is now spread throughout the engine ...
4) Most likely somewhere between #1 and #2, bypassing a little more than it originally did, but still filtering most of the oil.

5) Media torn.

I'll retire my Tough Guard 10358 cartridge at about half that mileage this fall.

Last edited:

Nice, I thought I was pushing the Extra Guard coming up 15,000 miles.:) Looks like I might be able to push it up to 20,000.:)

possible outcomes ...
1) Filter looks ok.

The last time I cut open a Tough Guard filter from this truck that ran for 15,000 miles - there was nothing in it.

The oil gets changed regularly, and it's all highway miles - - so there likely won't be anything in this one, either.

possible outcomes ...
1) Filter looks ok.

The last time I cut open a Tough Guard filter from this truck that ran for 15,000 miles - there was nothing in it.

The oil gets changed regularly, and it's all highway miles - - so there likely won't be anything in this one, either.

still it would interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back