Battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you looking for a charger or tender? Can't really beat about $26 for an 8 amp charger, but I guess as a maintainer, it might not be that good according to the reviews. I've only used mine to charge up a battery a couple times. I don't trust the maintainers as their failure method is to overcharge the battery thereby killing it. Better off just charging it up when needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC1279-12V-Rapid-Charger/dp/B07DM22XTN

I've stored garage queens for the past six Michigan winters in an unheated garage on a Battery Tender Plus. Never a problem. Cars start like I had driven them the day before.

The maintainer only is old thinking! Today's batteries do a lot more and are more sophisticated. Now if your car is 20yo then a minder would be OK, but if it is 10yo or less you need a smart battery charger like C-Tek which will charge, desulphate and mind the battery according to need. They aren't cheap, but they'll make you battery last a lot longer.

Originally Posted by Pelican
The maintainer only is old thinking! Today's batteries do a lot more and are more sophisticated. Now if your car is 20yo then a minder would be OK, but if it is 10yo or less you need a smart battery charger like C-Tek which will charge, desulphate and mind the battery according to need. .

BatteryMinder will do all that as well, depending on which specific model you choose. For example:
https://www.batteryminders.com/batt...2-4-8-amp-charger-maintainer-desulfator/

Skip NOCO, they don't last. CTEK is great, so far. I have a Battery Tender Jr that keeps on going just fine. I bought a new one during Prime Days and it's smaller and lighter. No longer a wall-wart it's a switching power supply with smarts.

Originally Posted by LotI
Skip NOCO, they don't last. CTEK is great, so far.
I've had my NOCO GB3500 since before AvE took it apart in that vidjayo, 2014/2015 IIRC. I crushed the power cable closing it in car doors using the 12v adapter and had to cut and splice it. The alligator clips it comes with are the worst I have ever seen, but that might not be the case anymore, mine is old.

I have a NOCO, so far so good - but the wires become very stiff in cold weather. I almost feel like they are going to crack and break.

If / when this thing dies, I am going to try the CTEK

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
The maintainer only is old thinking! Today's batteries do a lot more and are more sophisticated. Now if your car is 20yo then a minder would be OK, but if it is 10yo or less you need a smart battery charger like C-Tek which will charge, desulphate and mind the battery according to need. .

BatteryMinder will do all that as well, depending on which specific model you choose. For example:

Yeah, but at that price, couldn't you just buy a new battery?

Originally Posted by Wolf359

A charger like that can support and extend lives of many batteries. Besides, that was just an example. They have less expensive models available.

I've used a Viking line charger from Harbor Freight for the last 1.5 years, including all winter on multiple cars in northern Minnesota. Has worked flawlessly. Materials quality of noticeably better than the Schumachers I own.

Had a tender kill a deep cycle battery in my trailer so I can no longer recommend them. LED was solid green so I assumed it was working but when I disconnected it, the battery was at 7 volts and never recovered. I could only get about 40 ah out of what had been a 200 ah battery afterwards.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Wow, the description says it does a lot. Also makes it seem complicated. Like i might screw things up lol. Does this one desulfate?

From the description:
ICS7+ automatically diagnoses the battery issues before charging. If it detects a discharged and sulfated batteries, it will activate the repairing mode. If it fails to repair, it will stop charging.

Realistically, it would probably take weeks if not longer to desulfate a battery. I'm not sure how useful of a feature this really is.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

A charger like that can support and extend lives of many batteries. Besides, that was just an example. They have less expensive models available.

I'm assuming this would still maintain my Escalade battery when she sits, just take longer? How does desulfating work? Where does whatever comes off or released during this process go?

https://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer-Model-1500-SmarTECHnology-Motorcycles/dp/B00D7HZ6FC/ref=sr_1_4?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1567630685&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A3599835011&rnid=3599823011&s=automotive&sr=1-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back