Walmart is discontinuing selling handgun ammo, .223 and 5.56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart is discontinuing sales of certain rifle ammunition such as the .223 caliber and 5.56 caliber, discontinuing sales of handgun ammunition and discontinuing handgun sales entirely in Alaska.
It's also asking shoppers to no longer openly carry firearms in stores, in states where "open carry" is allowed, unless they are authorized law enforcement officers.

This sucks because I enjoyed buying ammo at Walmart because it was convenient and priced good. I'm sure if I was more into target shooting there are better mail order alternatives.

Times are changing. Gun ownership has a major PR problem and its proponent groups are doing nothing to change that.

19cents a round ---- Wolfe ammo ... Academy Sports or Bass Pro Shop and so on were busy this past weekend

Need to run up to my local Walmart and buy several boxes of the 150 round Winchester Steel case 9mm for $22.87, that is ~$0.15/round.

So long as it is just open carry being banned, it does not personally affect me since I don't open carry, but sill think it is a knee jerk reaction and is a start of bad things.

It was not a legal licensed carrier of a weapon that did these shootings.
It will not affect those that do these kinds of things since they don't care what the law and rules are. Just leaves more of the public at risk.

My question is when will Walmart quit selling alcohol and cigarettes? Those kill 100 x the amount of people compared to guns.

I highly recommend Academy Sports if you have one in your area. Good prices and selection.

Otherwise sgammo.com is a solid online choice.

Originally Posted by Fastzntn
I highly recommend Academy Sports if you have one in your area. Good prices and selection.

Otherwise sgammo.com is a solid online choice.

Academy ships for free with orders over $25.

They put some decent ammo on sale pretty regularly (recently had some Fiocchi 115g 9mm Copper case for $7.99/50 rounds (~$0.16/round)).

I guess in WA that means no .22LR either since ANY semi-auto rifle (yeah even .22LR) are defined as "assult rifles".

I need to move, WA is getting worse than CA !

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Times are changing. Gun ownership has a major PR problem and its proponent groups are doing nothing to change that.

Every time some crazy person goes syco with a gun it just puts another nail in the anti-gun coffin. States will probably start cracking down with some crazy gun laws (like WA) as time goes on, and more crazy people keep on doing their crazy acts.

Originally Posted by blupupher

Academy ships for free with orders over $25.

They put some decent ammo on sale pretty regularly (recently had some Fiocchi 115g 9mm Copper case for $7.99/50 rounds (~$0.16/round)).

I got in on that deal! Tax can sometimes be a factor, even if I get free shipping I have to pay tax at Academy. For larger dollar amount orders sometimes I come out ahead paying shipping but no tax.

But regardless, in store or on line Academy is good option.

We've got army navy Air Force marines reserves border patrol game wardens police and state troopers sheriff's .... all carry guns and protect us. We don't need a "well regulated malitia." The 2nd Amendment was written when the US Citizens were charged with protecting the state. Everyone doesn't need a gun at this point in our history. Military assault rifles belong with the military, not with Mr. Fud down the street.

Originally Posted by Oliveoil2
Everyone doesn't need a gun at this point in our history.

2A is not based on need.

Does not affect me that much, to much trouble to buy a WM anyway. I generally shop academy. I will check out SGAmmo though.

when the US Citizens were charged with protecting the state.

We still are.

Last edited:
We've got army navy Air Force marines reserves border patrol game wardens police and state troopers sheriff's .... all carry guns and protect us. We don't need a "well regulated malitia." The 2nd Amendment was written when the US Citizens were charged with protecting the state. Everyone doesn't need a gun at this point in our history. Military assault rifles belong with the military, not with Mr. Fud down the street.

Call 911 when someone is trying to kill you. If you can't protect yourself, then when the police do finally get to you they'll be using a body bag. The ability to protect yourself is a given right. Police, game wardens, and military have the right to protect themselves, why can't an upstanding citizen?

So you read the Constitution but apparently nothing else that the founding fathers wrote outside of it during that time period. You'd then have context and would realize that a militia was not the only reason, and really not the BIG reason. The Second Amendment is the guarantee for the first, and all the others, for that matter.

Besides that, cops are reactionary. If you have a home invasion with someone intent on doing harm to you, the best thing they can bring for you is chalk. Besides that, ask good folks hunkered down in inner-cities how all those armed government are doing with protecting them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back