Edge EP - D1G2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised they haven't gone after dexos 1 gen 2 being the regular Edge and Mobil 1 AP are. The Ti Castrol uses is proprietary and not the same as other brands. Castrol claims 20% friction reduction using their Ti. The shear stability also seems impressive based on the Kurt Orbahn shear stability test.

Their Edge, Edge Pro and Magnatec are... dunno why EP isn't. Good question... call/email them.

I called. US tech as usual had no answer. I emailed Castrol UK as they are generally much more responsive.

If I had to guess it's due to the sulfated ash level.

Originally Posted by buster
I emailed Castrol UK as they are generally much more responsive.

We don't get EDGE Extended Performance over here so they may not have an answer.

Ok thank you. They've been very helpful in the past.
cheers3.gif

The latest Edge EP has verbiage similar to this... "For GDI turbo applications".....I'm guessing they lowered the calcium and that it meets d1G2
but they didn't want to pay the licensing fee to GM.

Edge EP is their top oil, I bet Castrol do not want to pay General Motors every time they tweak their formula.

I received a response from Castrol, they are working to obtain d1g2 for Edge HM and Edge EP.

Originally Posted by buster
I received a response from Castrol, they are working to obtain d1g2 for Edge HM and Edge EP.

Good to know..I couldn't see Castrol getting stingy on not seeking Dexos approval. Some mfgs might but not Castrol.. not especially since all their other Edge and Magnatec product line is Dexos approved...it just wouldn't make sense not to, especially when the marketing dept knows the D1G2 badge means they can (better) charge/justify the premium pricing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back