Effect of the climate in Newfoundland on vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to the influx of used vehicles of Canadian origin into the Midwest, I have a question that I've never considered before.

I spotted a used truck at a local dealer. However, I'm at a bit of a loss on this one, as CarFax claims that spent its entire life (so far) on the island of Newfoundland.

I would think that the climate there is fairly moderate due to the influence of the ocean.

My biggest concern is the overall condition of the roads (paved/unpaved), and the presence of salt. I would guess that they use a fraction of salt for de-icing on the roads as compared areas in the mainland of Canada.... but more due to the influence of salt from the ocean.

I would run ! I want no part of a vehicle exposed to salt .

I thank God I do not live in the salt / rust belt .

Island says to me that it's been short tripped a lot. I don't know about how much salt they use in Newfoundland....it's probably good enough (with knowledgeable drivers) to simply plow away the volume.

Sounds like you've got an undercarriage inspection to do....

How much rust does salt air cause ?

Always heard cars around the Gulf coast rust more quickly . But have no direct experience .

Thanks , :)
Wyr
God bless

I remember one of the automotive engineering magazines noted the Maritime Provinces are the worst for corrosion. Salt is applied liberally. The temperatures are always just above or just below freezing, making the conditions very active for salt corrosion. Some of the manufacturers do their corrosion field testing there.

Newfoundland uses copious amounts of road salt. The climate there is pretty harsh with winter being particularly bad.
I would avoid a vehicle from NL if possible.
Used to run a 60 light - medium duty truck fleet there, 1st hand knowledge.

Speaking from experience, I parked a F250 truck a half mile or less from Long Island sound, fog was ever present. After ten or twelve years, the amount of rust on the chassis was rather unbelievable to behold. Had to sell it on the very cheap a few years later. Not all that much driving on salted roads actually.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

Always heard cars around the Gulf coast rust more quickly . But have no direct experience .

I must not have gotten that memo. We're a very short drive from the Gulf coast and I have yet to ever see any rust on our vehicles. Undercarriages look like new, even though we regularly drive down to our condo directly on the beach and we leave the vehicles parked outside.

It's also very, very rare to see a vehicle with rust on the body around here. I regularly see vehicles from the 1980s and haven't seen a rusty one that I can remember. And we spend a lot of time directly on the Gulf coast.

Just like anywhere else in New England and eastern Canada. Rust and salt
banana2.gif

They are probably brought into the midwest to scam people looking for a better car in the midwest

Wyr
God bless

So my truck spent 2 years at my parents who lived on an island in Texas. Granted it was an older truck, two years put some healthy rust on a lot of stuff. I wouldn't call it terrible but more than I like to deal with or see here just 3 hours away from the coast.

Wyr God bless

Good question, how much do cars in Florida, Calif, Hawaii etc rust vompared to the rust belt? I don't think there is an appreciable amount, just MHO

My overall impression is that the worst to best provinces for rust are, Newfoundland and Southern Labrador, the Maritime Provinces, Quebec, Eastern and Northern Ontario, Southwestern Ontario, the Prairie Provinces, then British Columbia.

I've been to "Town" (St. John's) in the winter a few times. Some winters are snow and rain, and some winters, I've tripped over the top of a bus stop sign...

Snow removal

Last edited:
Our family left one car at our condo in Florida, a half mile from the ocean. The car turned to junk in 4 years. The salt air and sun beat on the car until we had to sell it for $400, with only 30K on the odometer.

The salt air markedly affects the condo. Salt crystals grow on the chandelier. I have to replace the thermostat and smoke alarm every ten years. Examination of the circuit board shows horrible corrosion. Some of the outlets are turning green. Sometimes I have to polish the light bulbs and sockets to restore electrical continuity. When the wind and surf is just right I have a white layer form on my car overnight.

People 3 miles from the ocean don't have this problem.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Our family left one car at our condo in Florida, a half mile from the ocean. The car turned to junk in 4 years. The salt air and sun beat on the car until we had to sell it for $400, with only 30K on the odometer.

The salt air markedly affects the condo. Salt crystals grow on the chandelier. I have to replace the thermostat and smoke alarm every ten years. Examination of the circuit board shows horrible corrosion. Some of the outlets are turning green. Sometimes I have to polish the light bulbs and sockets to restore electrical continuity. When the wind and surf is just right I have a white layer form on my car overnight.

Must do absolute wonders for a gun collection.
shocked2.gif

I'd have a close look underneath for sure, it could've done snowbird retiree duty and rarely seen winter and puttered around on paved roads to the golf course for the 3 weeks of summer. Or it could've been blasting down gravel highways in Labrador at 70mph. You should be able to tell when its on a lift.

Originally Posted by Pelican
Wyr God bless

Good question, how much do cars in Florida, Calif, Hawaii etc rust vompared to the rust belt? I don't think there is an appreciable amount, just MHO

it depending on if you get dew on the cars roof (parking location is a must)

other wise here I had bare exposed metal with no rust for the 4 years i owned it

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by Kestas

Must do absolute wonders for a gun collection.
shocked2.gif

No guns, but I do collect old tube radios. I refuse to keep any of them in the condo. The salt air would be devastating to the units.

Everything is expensive on "the Rock" and it historically has been viewed as one of Canada's most impoverished provinces. I'd really question the quality and quantity of maintenance if that's a consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back