Dealer does not list price , What is the catch

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking at craiglist ads , i see a lot of car dealers not listing the price and to call for the price. i tend to just skip these, but i am curious what is the catch? will they give a low price over the phone only to raise it when one gets there ?

Probably a buy-here pay-here operation where most of their cost in the car is the down payment they expect. Any payments made are their profits.

There are likely aimed at low information people who are more focused on the monthly payment than they are on the total cost of the car.

Without seeing the ads, this is my best guess based on how I've seen the world work. Your Mileage May Vary.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
looking at craiglist ads , i see a lot of car dealers not listing the price and to call for the price. i tend to just skip these, but i am curious what is the catch? will they give a low price over the phone only to raise it when one gets there ?

That's it right there. They're counting on the people who only think about payment, not what the total cost of the car is.

"Only $200 per month payment on a 2012 Malibu? Oh, I can afford that" ... never actually considering it might be for 72 months.. or even 84.

Originally Posted by javacontour
Probably a buy-here pay-here operation where most of their cost in the car is the down payment they expect. Any payments made are their profits.

There are likely aimed at low information people who are more focused on the monthly payment than they are on the total cost of the car.

Without seeing the ads, this is my best guess based on how I've seen the world work. Your Mileage May Vary.

i thought that also, but these are large dealers . this is just an example

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ctd/d/olympia-2016-ford-fusion-se-sedan/6970606264.html

Because they want you to come in. They want you to be there and fall in love with the car and not leave unless it's in that car. When I bought my Mazda I emailed 3 dealers for pricing. One would not give me a price unless I came in.to the dealership. I refused and they did not get my business.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
That's it right there. They're counting on the people who only think about payment, not what the total cost of the car is.

"Only $200 per month payment on a 2012 Malibu? Oh, I can afford that" ... never actually considering it might be for 72 months.. or even 84.

YIKES!! $16,800!! PLUS interest!!

Before you come to the Stealership they don't want you to see they are asking above high book and you just go someplace else. This tactic insures I will never show up at their store.

Over the years I have bought several new Hondas but I refused to buy from the local dealer who would put full page ads in the local paper and never list a price on any of their cars, new or used. I always bought my Hondas out of town because I refused to darken their door. If they were so ashamed of the price that they were afraid to advertise it, I wasn't shopping there. After they were bought out by a large dealer I did buy a car from them and it wasn't the one I came to look at but an up sell that I got a great deal on. No telling how many sales the old dealer lost because of their tactics.

YOU are the catch, IF you visit the dealership. They want you to step foot in the door, so they can sell you THAT car, or steer you towards other cars on the lot, check out your credit, budget and any trade in. Car dealers know how to sell to the average consumer. They just need the chance ...

You never know the price until your driving away 5 hours later .... with a sore behind.

Don't let the lack of price dissuade you - but its not the end of the month. You missed it
smile.gif

But September is a month to move old iron.

I Just try to get a commodity car for 10- 15% off monroney , then subtract any rebates.

There used to be a good "hidden" factory-to-dealer incentive list on line years ago but I think it disappeared.

You can used competing dealer ads as a bargaining chip.

If you add a trade now you REALLY have to polish up your calculator.

Most dealers up here wont even give Galves Black Book wholesale on a trade never mind fluffy NADA Blue numbers.

They have a price on their actual website:

https://www.tituswillhyundai.com/VehicleSearchResults?searchQuery=Stock+Number+%3A+H19393A

It took me 30 seconds to find it. Got the stock number from their CL ad and plugged it into the search box on their website.

i thought that also, but these are large dealers . this is just an example

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ctd/d/olympia-2016-ford-fusion-se-sedan/6970606264.html

Originally Posted by Linctex

YIKES!! $16,800!! PLUS interest!!

Yup, but still, only $200/month.
They don't care that it is a $10,000 vehicle with double digit financing for 72 months.
So what if it will cost them about $17,000 total, or that they will be upside down on the loan when they drive off the lot, or even that it will be worth $1,000 by the time it is paid off.
All that matters is it is only $200/month.

By not listing the price, it forces you to call or come in, giving them the opportunity to make a sale. Personally, this only serves to [censored] me off and I won't do business with them for it.

There is a buying element only interested in being able to:

1) borrow money and get "approved"
2) what the monthly payment is irrelevant to cost of vehicle or interest rate involved

Originally Posted by SirTanon
... never actually considering it might be for 72 months.. or even 84.

As well as gap insurance and an extended warranty.

They have a price on their actual website:

https://www.tituswillhyundai.com/VehicleSearchResults?searchQuery=Stock+Number+%3A+H19393A

It took me 30 seconds to find it. Got the stock number from their CL ad and plugged it into the search box on their website.

Found it on their site as well (though I filtered through Ford > Fusion > 2016 which narrowed it down to just (1) vehicle.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Yup, but still, only $200/month.
(snip)
All that matters is it is only $200/month.

Yeap, repeat that, "all that matters" is the monthly price. [censored], some places advertise a weekly rate !! "$50 a week ? [censored] yeah, I can do that !!". Not everyone has perfect credit, pays cash (in full) for their cars, and so on.

For some dealers it doesn't really matter what the advertised price is, they still do not honor it. I was helping my son buy his first car. The local dealer had what he was interested in. The advertised price was $14k. They added in $2700 in dealer pack and I told them to go pound sand. Bought a car from an honest dealer the next town down.

As they said in the ad, they want you to call now.

The salesmanship theory is that the potential customer is already invested by calling in so the sale process has started.

Maybe they just want to update the price in one place, their website.

Any other ads just post links to their site.

But really, any price listed is just a fishing hook. I've seen the same car listed with multiple prices. So even if the CL ad had a price, is that the price they would take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back