Chevy 2.4 Oil Burner Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you considered Kreen? I'd give it a shot, then try a HM oil or a good 40 grade oil.

Originally Posted by GaryPoe
The car now has 69,100+ miles on it. Its been in the shop for over a month, chevrolet and our extended warranty refused to fix it. Needs new pistons and rings, and/or motor. Chevy will pay $700 of $8000.00 for a new motor, so yeah... it aint happening.
Recap thread : https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...3-equinox-2-4l-ac-delco-5w30#Post5180869

just take them you small claims more then likely you will win as there was just a settlement approved for the 2013 2.4l

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gregk24
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
1 quart in 1k miles is considered normal by most manufacturers (even in a new vehicle). Check and/or replace the PCV as mentioned. Use a HM oil as mentioned. Synthetic or conventional will not matter. Conventional would be cheaper and would be my choice. Stay away from magic additives.

1 quart every 1K miles is a low standard that many manufactures follow to avoid paying out on warranty claims. If it's "normal" then there is nothing to fix!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Originally Posted by hpb
Originally Posted by Chris142
If it's burning that much oil why worry about the dexos thing? Put 20w 50 or sae 40 in it.

+1. I'd just be throwing the cheapest "whatever" in there - probably start with some 15w40 and see what happens.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Have you considered Kreen? I'd give it a shot, then try a HM oil or a good 40 grade oil.

I think it's using oil because of low tension piston rings. I've heard of other vehicles having this issue. But I'm probably wrong about the 2.4.

Funny, my '87 BMW 325 had low tension rings, along with other factory mods, to make it fuel efficient and it didn't use oil. It was very good on fuel.

On my 2.2 Ecotech if I didn't change oil when 1qt dropped then it dropped like a rock. I tried just about all oils. I started running a higher octane fuel to counter the silent knock (knock sensor retarded timing) do to carboned up with fuel treatment. The best treatment I used wasn't a treatment but double dose of Sta-Bil. Combination of all these things slowed it down to a qt in about 3000 miles. Carbon plays a big part on rings.

top off with rotella 15-40 until it quits burning. that will tell you how bad the rings are gummed up. Usuall only takes 1 qt. to stop it or slow it down dramatically.

Originally Posted by Brian553
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I'm a little dense so I don't get the picture?

He "hit the nail on the head" with the post he quoted...meaning he was exactly right

Last edited:
We had a GMC Terrain that was CONSTANTLY at the dealer for various warranty work and transmission trouble, but they would never do anything about the oil.

I experimented with different oils, but nothing helped the oil consumption.

I drove so many Buick Verano loaner cars it's not even funny.

I know you have gotten a lot of advice here, but mine is try Restore.

Might help, and you have nothing to lose by trying it.

Originally Posted by mattd
He "hit the nail on the head" with the post he quoted...meaning he was exactly right

Thanks! Doh...

Originally Posted by demarpaint

I think it's using oil because of low tension piston rings. I've heard of other vehicles having this issue. But I'm probably wrong about the 2.4.

Funny, my '87 BMW 325 had low tension rings, along with other factory mods, to make it fuel efficient and it didn't use oil. It was very good on fuel.

thumbsup2.gif
That could very well be the issue. I would still give Kreen a shot though, with their great guarantee there's not much to lose.

Originally Posted by jakewells
put a bottle of schaeffer 132 in it that will slow down consumption it worked on my f150.

I love the Schaeffer 132 product as an oil thickener, and it will help to reduce oil consumption due to oil getting past the rings.
WRT the stuck rings, however, the large amount of viscosity improvers that compose it probably won't let them free up, and may make them more stuck.
The rings themselves are worth trying to free, given the vehicle's age.

For top end soaks, you might try:
Berryman's B-12 Chemtool
Rislone Engine Treatment

For crankcase lubricants that help clean rings, you might try:
Valvoline Restore 10w-30 (877377) (found through ryderfleetproducts.com , very effective)
(mixed with oil) Rislone Engine Treatment (may require multiple dosages, and will not rival Valvoline Restore in effectiveness by using in crankcase)

What will free carbon from the rings (particularly the bottom ones) will be solvation.
The aggresive solvents that are cheaper (Chemtool being one), tend to also be the most aggressive on seals.
I say this because I believe Chemtool to be effective via appropriately mixing it in the crankcase oil, but it comes with its risk on seals.

Last edited:
Valvoline Restore 10w-30 (877377) (found through ryderfleetproducts.com , very effective)

Interesting, have you actually used the product and observed a result? It's pretty expensive and I don't think I've seen a post on here where someone has used it.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Interesting, have you actually used the product and observed a result? It's pretty expensive and I don't think I've seen a post on here where someone has used it.

Hmm, alright, you got me--no, I haven't used it.
I should probably not say that it is "very effective", mainly because it is best to reserve that statement for those products with documented, quantifiable evidence of success.
I do want to differentiate it from the other options because it is engineered as a fully formulated lubricant designed to clean piston carbon deposits during its time in service.

The most detail I can find on this product is through this thread:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4778351/1

Kschachn, Is there something I'm missing regarding this product?

Originally Posted by Rand
There is a 2013 equinox 2.4 in the family I work on.. it has 48000 miles

. . .
Its well known that quite a few of these burn oil badly.. I forget the root cause.. but no magic high mileage oil will fix it.

My 2.4 in the 2011 Regal also began to burn quite a bit of oil a couple of years before I got rid of it. It didn't leak, didn't throw blue smoke that I know of, but I was always having to put oil in. I'd read that it had to do with something about the PCV system sticking -- and the PCV was internal to the manifold, not a simple valve that I could change. Buick swore that my VIN was outside the range of those that could have the problem.

The car was purchased two days after I traded it. Despite the oil burning it will probably continue to make a good commuter car, as long as the new owner checks the dipstick frequently.

hard to believe there are people on here that don't know about the piston ring problem and a host of other issues with this pos 2.4 gm engine. get rid of it is the best advice you will get. nothing is going to fix this problem except new pistons and rings. another winner product from GM

Kschachn, Is there something I'm missing regarding this product?

I was considering trying it out on my old Sienna, which is probably a wear problem more than any kind of deposit problem. But at the cost of the stuff I don't think it is worth it at this point.

Sigh...

Yeah sadly GM won't do sweet diddly for some family and their 2.4L Equinox. Dealer very carefully convinced them to bring it to them for changes at a maximum of 3 months or 5000KM.

I told them that's just the dealer fleecing, use the OLM. The engine was rattling at 30-40% life remaining, and took 3 litres to get back to full.

Went to the dealer, ohh there's a Service Bulletin, need to rebuild the engine. Sorry you should have asked a month ago, it expired. You can pay for the rebuild then ask and see if GM will cover any of it.

How's a customer supposed to know when the dealers lie about there not being any TSBs or Recalls outstanding. Dealers are often a reflection of the the Auto maker.

How long did GM sit on the recall for the ignition switches?

Oh there's a recall for Cobalt and cousins fuel pumps spraying gas all over the bottom of your car. Oh sorry you can only get that recall after the car burns or you notice a puddle of gas under your car.

Oh and the SRS harness on those Cobalts is damaged due to improper routing under the seat. Well we'll replace the harness, but the dead control module, replacement and reprogramming are on the customer.

Disgusting.

Their 2.4L is now living on 0w40, and that's slowed the rate of oil consumption significantly.

I've added a few ounces of Amsoil flush to boost the oils detergency, and a few ounces of an ester based product, to help out the rings as best as I can.

OLM, like any tool, when properly used is great, but the engine was going to destroy itself before it got to change oil territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back