Should I replace my caliper bracket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the slide pins is totally rusted into place--no movement at all. Truck is new to me, I noticed the torn boot while doing something else in the area. I'm not exactly sure how it was stopping without noise or other symptoms while I drove it, but I guess at least I know the rear drums must be working.
Anyway, if I were to get that pin out--which is questionable--I'm assuming I would still want to replace that bracket. Am I right?
On the other side, one pin was nearly immovable, but it wasn't at all rusted. That one I assume I can just clean out (any recommended solvents?) and put back into service.
Truck in question is a 2004 Ranger 4x4.

Get a new caliper. Raybestos offers all-new calipers for your Ranger
smile.gif

As a person who just experienced rusty brake issues, just go for the new or reman caliper, they come with a new bracket. Don't even fool with the old one. I spent almost an hour cleaning up the bracket on our Liberty and still had to replace the whole thing. When I did the brakes on the S10 I didn't even bother working with the old caliper, just replaced them. A 2004 Ranger in the rust belt it's definitely seen some stuff. Make sure you put better lube in the slide pins and lube behind the hardware to ward off any corrosion. Now would also be a good time to flush the old brake fluid out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back