AmazonBasics 5W/40 revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 6 pack of M1 is frequently on sale at Costco for $26.99, not sure I see the value here.

I think Navi needs his own web site
He's the know it all of all oil thinks related to oil products

Keep up the the good work Navi !!ðŸ‘

There is a mistake somewhere because Mag1 has an HDEO 5W40 and a European formula 5W40. The oil on the Amazon website says European.

Yeah if you look at the bottle on the website it does not say anything about CK4. So Amazons description is wrong. If you order this oil for any reason look closely at what you get.

Just call them up. They will tell you Mag1, Supertech and AmazonBasics are all the same oil. Warren Distributing is not a Mobil 1...They repackage the same oil.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
The Amazon Basics oil is CK-4, which the provided Mag1 equivalent does not meet.

The equivalent mag1:
https://mag1.com/products/heavy-dut...5w-40-ck-4-heavy-duty-diesel-engine-oil/

Yes, Warren Distribution is the blender for the oils, but it doesn't guarantee that it is the same product, in different packaging, unless you got VOA's to back that up to show (and allow error of sampling)

I just looked more closely at the Mag1 website. The European formula is both a diesel and a gasoline oil with supposedly an API SN rating. The HDEO says it meets API SM, but it looks like the intended purpose for that oil is diesel only. So I think the AmazonBasics version is supposed to be the Euro formula, but its not the HDEO version.

I did find a VOA for the Mag 1 Euro. If you can find one for this AmazonBasics version we can compare.

[Linked Image]

How can you compare ? VOA cannot detect everything in the oil. This is getting silly

The Blackstone and any other VOA detects the key ingredients. The summary goes into more descriptive detail. What would be in the oil beyond the noted fields?

Umm, proprietary information and chemical compounds that don't contain the tested elements? Or, put another way, the very thing that actually sets oil manufacturers and their intellectual property apart from each other?

Originally Posted by Navi
The Blackstone and any other VOA detects the key ingredients. The summary goes into more descriptive detail. What would be in the oil beyond the noted fields?

What do you consider "key ingredients"? The VOA only detects elements.

I did find a VOA for the Mag 1 Euro. If you can find one for this AmazonBasics version we can compare.

[Linked Image]

This is a 7yr old VOA so I'm not sure how relevant it is today as it's a good bet the formula/selection of base stock(s) has been changed since. That said you can't say with any degree of certainty that two oils are the exact same by comparing two VOAs side by side. The VOAs don't tell you what base stock is being used nor does it tell you the amount and quality of VM's. And, I believe even under the same API license a mfg/blender is allowed to make certain/some changes to the formula without necessitating a new license or retest.

Call Warren and see if they will tell you...but don't hold your breath. They mfg their own brand if I were Warren I wouldn't want it getting out that a private label of theirs is either "inferior" in some way or "better". I'm sure Amazon or Wally's wouldn't appreciate that either. And since Warren makes money off ALL of these brands, it's in their interest not to inadvertently "bad mouth" any of their private label products.

But who knows... give em a call, they might just surprise me.

Last edited:
It doesnt matter what they put in it as long as it brings back a good UOA. So I hope someone runs it and delivers the results. Yes most oil companies tweak the formula from year to year.

The price isnt offensive. $30 for 6 quarts...

Last edited:
It doesnt matter what they put in it as long as it brings back a good UOA. So I hope someone runs it and delivers the results. Yes most oil companies tweak the formula from year to year.

The price isnt offensive. $30 for 6 quarts...

Wait I'm confused, then what's the point of this thread? I thought it was about how Amazon, Supertech and Warren/MAG1were all the same but now you're saying it doesn't matter what's in them?? So what exactly are you trying to get at?

Last edited:
The fact is they are all the same and what really matters at the end of the day is UOA. It could be literally any brand...Mobil, Amsoil, Redline...what matters most is UOA.

As for the point of this thread this is a motor oil forum and this is a discussion about an oil I found on Amazon. Do you want to take part in this discussion of a motor oil?

The fact is they are all the same..

Do you want to take part in this discussion of a motor oil?

A) how do you know they are all the same? And when you say same, are you just referring to additives or the finished lube?

B) I do want to take part but I'm just unclear what's being discussed here beyond the similarities of formula across multiple brands.. and which has already been made clear can not be ascertained one way or another without addtl info from Warren.

Beyond all that... what would you like me to say? This is your hard on, not mine. Do you want me to say I like Amazon?..or I like Supertech? Or I prefer Mag1? What exactly am I supposed to talk about that probably hasn't been discussed ad nauseum in some other thread? (fwiw, the only real interest I have in this thread relates to your proclamation that all 3 brands are the same..I already know Warren makes a good oil)

I do like your enthusiasm for oil Navi and I've enjoyed some of your other posts.. I'm just not sure there's anything newsworthy here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back