Castrol Edge 0W-40 lost LL-01?

Looks like the updated bottle label is now up on Amazon's page. Other than no mention of BMW, the only other differences I see on the front is "API SN" text is shifted more to the right and the lines "STRONGER UNDER PRESSURE" and "FLUID TITANIUM TECHNOLOGY" are flipped in both English and Spanish.

[Linked Image]

Old label:
[Linked Image]

I wonder what real story is behind this move. If it's as simple as a reformulation transition or something else. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by wemay
I wonder what real story is behind this move. If it's as simple as a reformulation transition or something else. Thanks for posting.

Just like with M1, we'll never know.

Originally Posted by TXCarGeek
So is BMW going to give out guidance for older, LL01 spec engines?

Castrol and Mobil still do have LL-01 options. The latter's option is unfortunately a bulk only product. I think 5w-40 Pennzoil Platinum is still LL-01.

Thanks for the post. Still has A40 and 229.5 approvals, as well as being ACEA A3/B4.

I think I've moved on/gave up on from Longlife-01, but I have an ancient BMW so I'm hardly a typical user.

Originally Posted by kschachn
I think I've moved on/gave up on from Longlife-01, but I have an ancient BMW so I'm hardly a typical user.
Same here.

And the new models don't call for LL-01 spec either.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by kschachn
Same here.

And the new models don't call for LL-01 spec either.

And for that reason, I am surprised no one has introduced a licensed LL-01FE product.

But I guess it is because the market for LL-01FE is also limited; all of the newer BMW's are running the LL-17FE+ 0W-20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
FYI, my local WM already has the new stock (without LL-01):

It even eliminated BMW from the front marketing blurb. If I had something calling for LL-01, I'd still use it without hesitation. The same goes for M1 0w-40.

Very timely thread resurrection because it's time for an oil change on my car. Tempted to give the BMW 0W30 TwinPower Turbo LL-01FE oil a try since I usually order from FCP Euro and that was the only oil that I would care to use for my car from their website.

Very timely thread resurrection because it's time for an oil change on my car. Tempted to give the BMW 0W30 TwinPower Turbo LL-01FE oil a try since I usually order from FCP Euro and that was the only oil that I would care to use for my car from their website.

Which BMW you have?
I personally would never run FE oils in BMW. But, that is me.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Which BMW you have?
I personally would never run FE oils in BMW. But, that is me.

An N62TU. No oil leaks, valve stem seals have been done.

Delivered today, new bottle style and label has LL-01 date appears to be 19063

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Never mind, false alarm.

i went through my stash, this is just older stock. I found a date 19207 and it has no LL-01. So it happened between 19058 and 19207

Back