RIP Jessi Combs

It's simply a matter of respect. Are there pictures of the crash site investigation? very likely. What would be the point of releasing them to the general public? So a few nutcases can get their kicks looking at blood and gore? There are websites dedicated to that sort of twisted content.

I recall one friend of mine who died while pursuing Landspeed Racing. There were pictures from the crash site investigation. I viewed them at the request of an acquaintance who performed the investigation. and I wish I hadn't seen them.

Originally Posted by Exhaustgases
No pictures any place of the vehicle, why the big secret?

I'm not either, I just would like the pick apart the engineering of that mess.

I think you just answered your own question.

Originally Posted by JetStar
Curious to know what happened, Did it lift off the ground, explosion, loss of stability /control, structural failure?

Forget pictures or videos. No one is even talking about what happened almost a week later.

Someone made the comment, "It failed to stop". Another said, "There was a fire involved". No one is looking to observe gore here. But some simple descriptions of what took place from eyewitnesses is certainly not out of order. Or is it showing any, "disrespect for the dead". There were a lot of knowledgeable people around observing that car when it crashed.

When Breedlove's car tried to make a 600+ MPH U-Turn back in the 90's, there were video's and interviews posted within hours. No, he didn't get killed, or even hurt. But they weren't trying to guard what happened, as if it was the formula for Coca Cola.

Originally Posted by billt460
There are so many things that could have been done to that vehicle and others that are setting speed records, and the rule books need to be changed to allow devices that will help save lives in vehicles like that.

That vehicle was a complete disaster waiting to happen. It finally did. It looked like it was designed on the back of a cocktail napkin during a 2 for 1 happy hour. That should have stayed that way until someone foolishly managed to get enough money thrown at it, to get the thing built.

A 50's surplus fighter with the wings cut off, and an I-Beam mounted to the back with a couple of wheels bolted on. All built without a roll cage, or most any other driver protection.

The only thing that was "amazing" about it, was it took so long before it finally killed someone. If you look at most every land speed record car to date built by Cobb, Arfons, Breedlove, or the Thrust SSC Team, all were purpose designed, engineered, and built from the ground up as such. Not some chopped up, pieced together, cut rate abortion.

It's sad she had to be the one driving it when it all went south. These cars are dangerous enough when no engineering, construction, or safety expense is spared. Anything short of that is pointless suicide.

I was hoping you were joking, but I got a look at the "car" and you seem to be completely right.

Is there any actual scientific basis for assuming an aeronautical design can simply have wheels installed and become a transonic land vehicle?

Sad tragedy. May she rest in peace.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
I was hoping you were joking, but I got a look at the "car" and you seem to be completely right.

I was joking about the cocktail napkin part of it. But he even partially admits to that in this video. (4:10 to 4:35).

I had a chance to watch the video, and it really gave a lot more context to what was going on there.

I understand having a dream, and I understand the patriotic motivations. Both very good ideals. Won't argue with that part of things at all.

But when I look at Thrust SSC, the Breedlove cars, and then look at a jet with wheels stuck on it, I can't help but think that there is a lot more that goes into cracking the sound barrier on the ground than they had assumed. Throughout the entire video, I don't see anyone mention having a wealth of experience building land speed cars of that velocity either.

Rather than play Monday morning quarterback, I am going to play Saturday morning quarterback. Had I seen that thing before all of this went down, it would not have convinced me.

Racing is dangerous. Landspeed Racing is dangerous. I know that every LSR event I've been to, and participated in, there are minimum safety standards that the vehicles have to meet. Some might even go beyond those minimum safety standards.

Lets not kid ourselves here. Doing what they were doing is much more dangerous than sitting in a recliner in the comfort and safety of your own home, watching others follow their passion and trying to reach their goals, fraught with danger though they may be.

I wasn't following their effort closely, but I can guarantee they all knew the risks involved.

As I mentioned, a friend was killed following his LSR passion. Does it suck that he's dead? Sure. But he died doing something he loved, and there's no guarantee that he wouldn't have died in some other manner since then. Dying pursuing ones passion is certainly preferable to how some of my family and friends have passed. I recall an Uncle who died from cancer. He told me he would have much preferred to die in a paraglider crash, rather than wasting away in a hospice bed like he did.

We are all going to die. If we can live and die with no regrets, we'll be doing as good as we can hope for.

Last edited:
Paul Mantz a cinematic stunt pilot, he flew the real "FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX" plane, here you go. A crash is a crash, what is all the talk of respect. Its not a firing squad or a jump off a cliff. For some of us mechanical and engineering types we want to know. How come just the so called professionals can watch what ever they are inspecting with no respect for what ever?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n82nN_lqn58

Here is photos, you need to scroll down.
https://www.tmz.com/2019/09/04/jessi-combs-dead-died-jet-car-video-crash-photos-land-speed-record/

Last edited:
The entire matter is a good deal more complex than most make it out to be. When Breedlove made his famous 600 MPH U-Turn, it was because of poor communication. In the video above, Paul Mantz died because the actual plane he was flying was arguably more poorly built than the fictional plane it represented. Paul Walker died because he was in a car being driven by a complete moron competing for the World Title of Hugest Moron.

Taking risks is understandable. Taking great risk is understandable. Dying because of basic lack of competency or downright carelessness is not glamorous to me.

I have a different perspective because in my industry there are a thousand ways to die. Most of them having to do with our use of forklifts and other lifting equipment. Due to the "boring" nature of my business, nobody will end up with an "exciting" send-off that will be romanticized. People will just be sad, and other people (likely me) will get sued or arrested depending on the circumstances. That's how these things go down.

My natural and necessary disposition towards shady and mysterious operations is to turn and walk away regardless of the "reward".

"Failed to stop" is a really basic way of saying "equipment failed to work". A jet car has only two ways of slowing down from high speed: Reducing throttle, and then parachutes. Either that engine pegged and wouldn't come back down, or the parachutes had a deployment failure or breakup on deployment.

I have the greatest respect for guys like Richard Noble and Craig Breedlove, and women like Jessi Combs. I don't "blame" her for what happened. I don't "blame" her for wanting to set personal and even gender benchmarks. I do have a squinted eye toward whoever it was that knew what that machine was and wasn't and decided to let a human being get in that thing and drive it anyway.

Paul Mantz a cinematic stunt pilot, he flew the real "FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX" plane, here you go. A crash is a crash, what is all the talk of respect. Its not a firing squad or a jump off a cliff. For some of us mechanical and engineering types we want to know. How come just the so called professionals can watch what ever they are inspecting with no respect for what ever?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n82nN_lqn58

Here is photos, you need to scroll down.
https://www.tmz.com/2019/09/04/jessi-combs-dead-died-jet-car-video-crash-photos-land-speed-record/

So contact them and tell them you feel you have a right to see and know all the details of the crash.

https://www.landspeed.com/

One thing is certain. TMZ is a muckraking show which seeks to exploit others for their own pathetic gain. It is the antithesis of respect.

Last edited:
....But when I look at Thrust SSC, the Breedlove cars, and then look at a jet with wheels stuck on it, I can't help but think that there is a lot more that goes into cracking the sound barrier on the ground than they had assumed. Throughout the entire video, I don't see anyone mention having a wealth of experience building land speed cars of that velocity either.

That's the part that bothers me. This was a nice gal who was enjoying a reasonably good degree of financial and social success. And in all likelihood still had half or more of her life in front of her. To have risked it and lost it in such a feeble contraption, seems pointless. She took the risk only because it was offered to her.

And I'm sorry, but I can't wrap my head around this ridiculous concept of, "dying doing what she loved" nonsense. I love to do a lot of things. It's not going to make me, or anyone else feel better or more poignant if I die while I'm doing them. That's just nuts.

Doing things like trying to set land speed records are inherently very dangerous, and involve a certain amount of risk. But there are ways to minimize that danger and risk through sound engineering, design, and safety principals. Much like Breedlove and the Thrust SSC Team have demonstrated through the years, and all but countless attempts.

Breedlove is now old enough to be enjoying a head full of grey hair. Taking his time in researching, designing, and building his land speed vehicles, with the utmost safety he could possibly incorporate into them, is no doubt a big part of the reason why he's still walking around today...... And not in a grave because he, "died doing what he loved".

This whole thing came across as a kind of, "let's roll the dice and go for it", staged, foolish drama. It sadly didn't work out. If anything good can be said about this accident, it's the fact the vehicle no longer exists. And It's extremely doubtful it will ever be rebuilt. So at least it can't claim any more lives. Not that land speed records won't in the future. But at least they won't be in a jury rigged contraption like that thing. That you needed to drink 3 Martini's before it even looked possible.

....But when I look at Thrust SSC, the Breedlove cars, and then look at a jet with wheels stuck on it, I can't help but think that there is a lot more that goes into cracking the sound barrier on the ground than they had assumed. Throughout the entire video, I don't see anyone mention having a wealth of experience building land speed cars of that velocity either.

That's the part that bothers me. This was a nice gal who was enjoying a reasonably good degree of financial and social success. And in all likelihood still had half or more of her life in front of her. To have risked it and lost it in such a feeble contraption, seems pointless. She took the risk only because it was offered to her.

And I'm sorry, but I can't wrap my head around this ridiculous concept of, "dying doing what she loved" nonsense. I love to do a lot of things. It's not going to make me, or anyone else feel better or more poignant if I die while I'm doing them. That's just nuts.

Doing things like trying to set land speed records are inherently very dangerous, and involve a certain amount of risk. But there are ways to minimize that danger and risk through sound engineering, design, and safety principals. Much like Breedlove and the Thrust SSC Team have demonstrated through the years, and all but countless attempts.

Breedlove is now old enough to be enjoying a head full of grey hair. Taking his time in researching, designing, and building his land speed vehicles, with the utmost safety he could possibly incorporate into them, is no doubt a big part of the reason why he's still walking around today...... And not in a grave because he, "died doing what he loved".

This whole thing came across as a kind of, "let's roll the dice and go for it", staged, foolish drama. It sadly didn't work out. If anything good can be said about this accident, it's the fact the vehicle no longer exists. And It's extremely doubtful it will ever be rebuilt. So at least it can't claim any more lives. Not that land speed records won't in the future. But at least they won't be in a jury rigged contraption like that thing. That you needed to drink 3 Martini's before it even looked possible.

thumbsup2.gif

So the bottom line is you really don't know any details of the vehicle or the overall effort. You have ASSUMED it was a "jury rigged contraption". How many other LSR vehicles have you seen up close? I've seen at least a couple hundred up close, and have helped on numerous LSR efforts.

It is disrespectful to talk about this effort in the terms you do, knowing that someone died in the effort, when the reality is you know NOTHING about the effort beyond your own assumptions.

You mention Breedlove and Thrust SSC. Have you seen those vehicles up close? Talked to the drivers? I had the pleasure of talking to Andy Green at length at Bonneville, when he was there to run the JCB Diesel streamliner. He was well spoken, and has lived a life full of risk. I think you might be shocked to know what he had to say about Thrust SSC, and indeed ALL LSR efforts.

Last edited:
I don't think you remember what Dale Earnhardt Sr said.... On a TV interview... He said, " If I died in a race car.. that would not be a tragedy. Because I was out there doing what I loved to do and wanted to do. Now if I was driving down a regular road to get a haircut and I got killed in a bad car accident... That would be a tragedy".

I guarantee he understood that when his really good friend Neil Bonnet died in a accident at Daytona in 1994...

He knew his friend was out there doing what he truly wanted to do more than anything. I guarantee it was still very hard on him because he had lost one of his best friend's. But he also had to of taken some solace knowing that his friend wanted to be out there.

Jessi can not be blamed for the crash. Someone posted the afterburner would not shut down, true or not?? My talk of a working ejection seat on a ground run can be seen on a few youtube videos. And no matter what others say, if it was me I would have wanted the ejection seat option.

Jessi can not be blamed for the crash. Someone posted the afterburner would not shut down, true or not?? My talk of a working ejection seat on a ground run can be seen on a few youtube videos. And no matter what others say, if it was me I would have wanted the ejection seat option.

The problem with ejection seats on the F-104, was the early models had downward firing seats. This was done to prevent the pilots from hitting the tail surfaces. Hitting the tail on ejection did kill a significant number of F-104 pilots. (And all this thing ended up being, is little more than a F-104 fuselage with wheels mounted to it).

Later F-104 models had the conventional upward firing ejection seats, but they were speed limited. So I doubt the concept would have worked on a land speed car. Another problem would be the limited amount of time the pilot / driver had from processing their thoughts of being in serious trouble, and needing to be removed from the car, to actually firing the seat, and getting out.

We still have no video of just how fast that car went from beginning to get into trouble, until she was killed. I'm sure the ejection seat concept was explored by the top teams like Breedlove and Thrust SSC. And if there was a way to employ them, and significantly reduce the danger in the process, they would have.

Another problem is the speed itself. The faster these cars go, the greater the likelihood they'll get into trouble. While many aircraft can successfully eject pilots from the ground, they're barely moving when they do. High speed aircraft ejections at or near supersonic speeds are almost always fatal.

While the engineering and fabrication of such a system would no doubt be costly, I doubt that would have stopped the top land speed record teams from utilizing it........ If they thought it would work. Last I heard the Thrust Bloodhound Project is reported to have cost in the neighborhood of $67 Million dollars U.S. Obviously the North American Eagle was constructed on a much tighter budget.

Out the bottom? Well then common sense says then have one that goes out the top. They did tests in the 50's and early 60's ejecting at ground level at over mach speeds on test sleds, if it was done then I'm sure they are way better at it now.
Looky here at about 1:14 or so looks like a jet car almost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swpUZ6D6rdw
I would want that option myself in high speed vehicle.

Out the bottom? Well then common sense says then have one that goes out the top. They did tests in the 50's and early 60's ejecting at ground level at over mach speeds on test sleds, if it was done then I'm sure they are way better at it now.
Looky here at about 1:14 or so looks like a jet car almost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swpUZ6D6rdw
I would want that option myself in high speed vehicle.

It's not that simple. Again, most of those aircraft were performing in air shows, and were traveling at very low speed, not 600 / 700+ MPH. The pilots also had a relatively long time to make the decision to eject, then do it. Most of the supersonic ejection tests were performed with dummies, not pilots.

The one's that weren't were usually capsule type systems, like the one's used in the XB-70, supersonic aircraft. And when those aircraft initiated those type of high speed ejections, they were at very high altitude. Not at or near ground level.

Back