Do you beleive in one fits all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
31.gif

I believe that Peak Global Lifetime and Zerex G-05 can be universal, I do NOT trust Prestone to do the same.

Prestone is a dexclone that contains 2-EHA which the plasticizer that makes dexcool deathcool
16.gif

My last coolant change saw me dropping the G-05 and going with Dexcool, and yet my engine is still alive. How is that possible?

Originally Posted by Baveux
do you believe in the one fits all coolant a la Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant ?

I believe it exists, yes.

But if you are asking me if I believe it can be used in any coolant system, regardless of make/model/age, then I would have to say 'no'.

Do you have any more details about the application in which you could be using it, or is this just a theoretical question?

I want to use a 'one fits all' to go from a green to pink, thinking HOAT, get the green out with distilled water drain and fills, then a couple of drain and fill with 'one fits all', then the pink Zerex Asian with a short interval change in 2 or 3 years. Sound reasonable? Any better ideas would be welcome, any added cost, send cash...please.

Background, 2003 Pontiac Vibe, just bought it 3 weeks ago, came with the green, unknown source, but it did have a re-manufactured head in the last 70k, so I hoping for 170k more...

On second thought, going to flush green stuff out thoroughly. Got a new drive belt on put on, so I'll already be well on the way removing the alternator to get out the thermostat.

A non 2-Eha OAT coolant is a one size fits most, but not all.
For example wet liner engines still probably can use some Nitrate / Nitrite to protect from cavitation.

I've "studied" per se, coolants on my own, which has led me to using VW G12++ spec Si-OAT coolant in my two Fords, weird i know, but it's not just a wild stab in the dark, it has its reasoning behind it!

Last edited:
You can do it without problems (G12++ in Ford), AFTER you flush the old stuff very right. VAG don't make much very good
smile.gif
But the decision for 12++, ergo Basf Glysantin G40, its.

G13 ist little bit worse, but also a bit environmentally friendly (disposal).

There's anecdotal evidence Toyotas can play nice with 2-EHA and OATs by their nature are plasticizers. Japanese pHOAT uses sebacic acid while the Americans and Europeans are mostly 2-EHA/decanoic acid but benzoate was favored by Ford and Daimler.

I'm tempted to run Prestone Cor-Guard in one of the parent's cars or a friend's car. It does meet the "hybrid technology with low levels of acids and phosphates" Toyota wants.

I mean Merc has been switched year years ago also to g12-like coolant. But probably only in the truck sector (?) Its 325.5, 325.6 and 326 -> all at Glysantin G40.
And also G30 had already Merc 325.3 approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back